Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Off-Topics > Technical Support
You last visited: Today at 06:55

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Changing Global IP Address via Wireless Router

Discussion on Changing Global IP Address via Wireless Router within the Technical Support forum part of the Off-Topics category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Changing Global IP Address via Wireless Router

Ok,

I am now fed up with this. I have been trying for about a year now to get this **** IP Address to change and it simply won't. When I contact the ISP they assure me that my connection is indeed Dynamic and should change, and since this is the case they can't do anything on their end. When I hook the modem directly to the PC's NIC the IP will change with a snap of a finger. But as soon as I hook it back up to the router and reset everything, release and renew, Bam its right back to this Old IP Address that I have had for a year now. I have the router set to "Retreive IP Adress Automatically from Service Provider" as well as the DNS addresses. Now if it is retreiving the address from a Dynamic connection should it not be different every time? There is a built in Release and Renew in the router options and when using that it still resets to the same Address over and over again. Please somebody explain what the deal is. I have tried leaving everything unhooked for hours and trying again with still no luck.

ISP is Comcast with a comcast Cable modem

Router:

NetGear WGR 614 v6 Wireless

Please explain what the problem is if you know. How can it stay static if it is dynamic. My ISP tells me it is impossible for it to remain static everytime I try to contact them about the issue. Either there is something beyond my knowledge setup that is preventing it from changing or my ISP is simply ******* with me. Please help.

Or at least direct me to a good tech forum witch may have the answers I seek.
Old 08/29/2008, 10:10   #2

elite*gold: 0
Received Thanks: 2,961
Well the first thing that went to my mind..
Where did you check your IP address?