Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Popular Games > Silkroad Online > SRO Private Server
You last visited: Today at 22:15

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Ddos attack on dedicated server

Discussion on Ddos attack on dedicated server within the SRO Private Server forum part of the Silkroad Online category.

Old 05/22/2013, 03:14   #46

elite*gold: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalblade View Post
Velestia was under ddos for 2 days straight now. It stopped at some point and started again... and then there are our lovely kiddies that love finding some sorta small exploit hole.

but well, just be ready to pay 1k$ to rival and they'll mitigate anything for ya... Atm Velestia is building their own small network with reverse proxies and mitigating ddos... its easier to manage it and its actually a bit cheaper as well!

In future, we can offer this service to other pservers which aren't in direct competition to us, thereby having a fairer competition in total

PS: hyperfilter is at 300$ atm, if it hasnt been mentioned already.
Proxy ?
Do you even know what you are talking about?!
Old 05/22/2013, 03:14   #47

elite*gold: 0
Cool

Quote:
Velestia was under ddos for 2 days straight now. It stopped at some point and started again... and then there are our lovely kiddies that love finding some sorta small exploit hole.

but well, just be ready to pay 1k$ to rival and they'll mitigate anything for ya... Atm Velestia is building their own small network with reverse proxies and mitigating ddos... its easier to manage it and its actually a bit cheaper as well!

In future, we can offer this service to other pservers which aren't in direct competition to us, thereby having a fairer competition in total

PS: hyperfilter is at 300$ atm, if it hasnt been mentioned already.
I am sorry, but any attempt to build your own network, without really having your own infrastructure, won't make you any good, comparing to good market solutions...

Especially because for these proxies you might be using vps, clouds or whatever companies are offering, and you shouldn't have a larger protection level with these, making it easy to put it down, as long you have enough power...

Remember, the cheap you go, the worse it gets...

Anyways, It is just an opinion.
Old 05/22/2013, 12:03   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumDark View Post
I am sorry, but any attempt to build your own network, without really having your own infrastructure, won't make you any good, comparing to good market solutions...

Especially because for these proxies you might be using vps, clouds or whatever companies are offering, and you shouldn't have a larger protection level with these, making it easy to put it down, as long you have enough power...

Remember, the cheap you go, the worse it gets...

Anyways, It is just an opinion.

Well its a lot better than hyperfilter... hyperfilter was down because of around 2k bots ... They've sent us a log of the mitigated connections afterwards.... The ips were originated from Brazil, costa rica, equador... basically south america. Tell me how much traffic 2k bots could create knowing they are from 3rd world countries mainly.

Also check the aws website, they offer quite good instances which can be bought with elastic load balancers partially.
Old 05/22/2013, 13:40   #49

Quote:
Well its a lot better than hyperfilter... hyperfilter was down because of around 2k bots ... They've sent us a log of the mitigated connections afterwards.... The ips were originated from Brazil, costa rica, equador... basically south america. Tell me how much traffic 2k bots could create knowing they are from 3rd world countries mainly.

Also check the aws website, they offer quite good instances which can be bought with elastic load balancers partially.
You are wrong, HyperFilter don't got down due to '2k bots', the thing is that depending on the attack, they must analyse and mitigate it for you, and probably this is what they've done right ? After they do this type of procedure, the same attack technique will never again, cause any harm to you...
Old 05/22/2013, 14:03   #50

Velestia, was only ddos at the begin, or?
Old 05/22/2013, 14:24   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKsPfLaNzE View Post
They can't really determine, when it was only at the begining or not, first because the protection they use is 100% automated and unless in two reasons :

1) A new attack the company never heard of is done.
2) An attack is higher than what they are paying happens.

They won't know they are being DoS/DDoS'ed, although yes, as he said above, he had 1~2 days of troubles in the start of his server.
Old 05/22/2013, 19:51   #52

elite*gold: 5
Received Thanks: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKsPfLaNzE View Post
The DDoS began at like 2-3 days into the server, and continued for a few days
Old 05/22/2013, 21:50   #53

Received Thanks: 2,010
Quote:

The guy who can't even spell 'professional' correctly is going to build a DDoS mitigation solution.

Don't let me laugh, seriously
Old 05/22/2013, 21:59   #54

Received Thanks: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezekan View Post
The guy who can't even spell 'professional' correctly is going to build a DDoS mitigation solution.

Don't let me laugh, seriously

I'm confused on what grammatical errors have to do with building a ddos migration solution
Thanks
3 Users
Old 05/23/2013, 00:49   #55

Hello,

What I think is that this subject is a bit more complicated, than what the guys are doing with their game servers, it requires study, it requires investing, it requires engineering, it requires a team and alot of work and dedication, and obviously 'much money'.

So to be honest, everybody can try to do its 'hacky solution', or try to take advantage in 'someone else back' to resell something...
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/23/2013, 03:42   #56

elite*gold: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creationist View Post
I'm confused on what grammatical errors have to do with building a ddos migration solution
Actually it's not the grammatical errors , it's about what he wrote.
It shows that he got 0 knowledge about Proxies/DDOS Mitigation.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/23/2013, 16:21   #57

Received Thanks: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creationist View Post
Well, I'm actually experienced in the sector, a project like this requires a huge investment, skilled staff and good contacts. Tell me, how is a guy that runs a buggy server, thinks Venture was 'pinging his server' (pinging is the new DDoS attack?), only has half the features he actually listed (not that anybody seems to care) going to start a project even the biggest web hosting companies do not attempt to do?

I know that guy paid you to do a good word for Velestia, but if you really want to become a moderator on this forum I suggest you loose the atittude, let the people who actually know what they're talking about talk, and don't make assumptions about stuff you know **** about
Thanks
2 Users
Old 05/23/2013, 16:26   #58
Chat Killer In Duty

Received Thanks: 6,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezekan View Post
Well, I'm actually experienced in the sector, a project like this requires a huge investment, skilled staff and good contacts. Tell me, how is a guy that runs a buggy server, thinks Venture was 'pinging his server' (pinging is the new DDoS attack?), only has half the features he actually listed (not that anybody seems to care) going to start a project even the biggest web hosting companies do not attempt to do?

I know that guy paid you to do a good word for Velestia, but if you really want to become a moderator on this forum I suggest you loose the atittude, let the people who actually know what they're talking about talk, and don't make assumptions about stuff you know **** about
pinging can be used to DDoS little connection servers(ping <ip> -t -l 65000)
but is pretty lame since only works on slow connections, as well as being able to avoid by disabling ping answer
but the fact that saying that is the way to DDoS those servers is just pfffffffffffff

@creationist
Even if you are not longer on their team(AFAIK) I suggest to go more neutral when referring to them, as that link to them can really affect your chances
Thanks
1 User