Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Rohan
You last visited: Today at 18:13

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

[Announcement] Rohan 2.0 union server

Old   #136

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumstorm View Post
Any ETA? Me and my 50 man guild looking for a server.
He said from 1 to 4 weeks, this friday gona hit the 3rd week... so we gotta wait at least 1 more ;p

Old   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by radekslu View Post
asdfRohan, do u have in ur plans to do something with quests?
Read the first post and youll see Yes, plan is to do ALOT with quests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilux View Post
He said from 1 to 4 weeks, this friday gona hit the 3rd week... so we gotta wait at least 1 more ;p
A little longer. Im working as fast and as much as I can :P Be patient guys.

Thanks
1 User
Old   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumstorm View Post
Any ETA? Me and my 50 man guild looking for a server.
(pj) Why not make yourself a discord acct and join the party there:
Old   #139

Yeah, just log on discord and see that may take longer ;(

Old   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfRohan View Post
Read the first post and youll see Yes, plan is to do ALOT with quests.

A little longer. Im working as fast and as much as I can :P Be patient guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfRohan
There will be daily recuring quests such as the Evermore quest
That's what u said, what i mean is to edit old quests to make them worth doing.
Old   #141

Thats included
Old   #142

while farming getting exp always will be more rewardful over quests exp unless you bring irohan exp
also for example if you have to kill xmobs you would get multiple times the exp reward from the quest, so exp wise its not worth unless the extra rewards wep/armor etc the basic one would be changed to something actually worth
Old   #143

Have you thought about making the website public? Doing that could spread the news and hype the server up, leading to a large amount of players at the beginning to build off of.

If anything is a death sentence for a server, it's being dead on arrival. This is just me, but whenever I log into a pserver for the first time and see that it only has like 10 people online, I don't stay for very long. When I see that it has 60-70 people online at once, that's a lot more appealing. That large playerbase can act like a snowball that accumulates more and more players, but the population must reach critical mass fast. There has to be some hype for this to happen.
Old   #144

Im absolutely with you. Im trying to get my slackers to work on it, but its not always that easy.
Old   #145

There's 66 people on the discord channel so idk if thats a gud numbah or nah :l
Old   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glixxer View Post
Have you thought about making the website public? Doing that could spread the news and hype the server up, leading to a large amount of players at the beginning to build off of.

If anything is a death sentence for a server, it's being dead on arrival. This is just me, but whenever I log into a pserver for the first time and see that it only has like 10 people online, I don't stay for very long. When I see that it has 60-70 people online at once, that's a lot more appealing. That large playerbase can act like a snowball that accumulates more and more players, but the population must reach critical mass fast. There has to be some hype for this to happen.
The problem with advertising before a server is ready to open is that expectations rise to unmanageable levels. (As was heatedly pointed out to me some time back) People that work on private servers are doing it as a spare-time project and get upset (putting it delicately) with you when you try to impose (or suggest) any kind of structure of scheduling on them. They are not professional developers. They are not interested in project management and as such will do their own thing when they feel like doing it. They are not interested in setting / meeting milestones or release dates. A website that is put up before the server is ready does nothing more than increase expectations and disappointment when those expectations are not met. It also does nothing but increase pressure on the devs to put something half-assed out before it is ready. Which as we all know ends up getting bad publicity when that half-finished server works like shit.

People don't like waiting and will 100% of the time put huge pressure on the devs to rush their server out the door - even when it is not ready.

At present these guys have a discord channel that I monitor (lurk) occasionally to see how things are coming. I am sure that if/when the server is about ready to release, the devs will say something there long before you see anything official here about it. If you want to get the freshest info on their server I strongly suggest you look there rather than here.

You will find their Discord invitation link in the OP.
Thanks
2 Users
Old   #147

I agree with most things there. Thought, the mere fact of being a private server dev doesnt impose the meaning of someone not being a professional software engineer at the same time. Just because rohan servers are run without proper project management (due to the fact of being spare time projects) doesnt mean the people behind such servers arent professionals if you get what I mean. Rohan servers arent a big business and are mostly run just for fun.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfRohan View Post
I agree with most things there. Thought, the mere fact of being a private server dev doesnt impose the meaning of someone not being a professional software engineer at the same time. Just because rohan servers are run without proper project management (due to the fact of being spare time projects) doesnt mean the people behind such servers arent professionals if you get what I mean. Rohan servers arent a big business and are mostly run just for fun.
Allow me to clarify.

Most (but not all) of the developers here work in some capacity as software developers for a company to earn a living. In those jobs they are absolutely required to work within projects, scheduling and are accountable for far more than their technical expertise.

However developing Rohan servers is for fun and not a profession. As such you will not see the necessary disciplines required in professional software development in any Rohan server. There is no project management. No accountability. There are no contracts. No schedules. In short developing a Rohan server is not a profession. It is for fun. Thus there are no professional Rohan developers.

I agree with you that the technical knowledge and experience a developer gains in his real profession are a necessary part of working with Rohan (or any other) private server, but technical knowledge is not all there is to being a professional developer. Private server devs do not require or even want to use those disciplines.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #149

Let me clarify aswell. Maybe I understood it wrong but I got it as if rohan dev's outside of rohan arent, or cant be, professionals. Thats not the case, of course.

I fully agree on the rest thought. And seriously, who could blame us for not doing proper PM, its simply not needed in the sense of it being projects run just for fun and arent a real big business youd dedicate yourself to, at least not as much as you would in serious projects.
Old   #150

soon TM mode activated lul