Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 12:53

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Server Hosts

Old   #16

elite*gold: 0
editted: wrong topic

Old   #17

elite*gold: 30
Received Thanks: 3,185
Depends on how many players you have, but I think it should be fine for ~100+ (if you move your website on a different server).
Anyways, wrong topic

Old   #18

Received Thanks: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ckwr4th View Post
ty Xijezu (dat name ^^) and ur right i have derailed us abit, and i apologize. back on topic, i still suggest building rather than renting. i would even help / build online / help select and even help assemble a machine if someone wants to try that route : my pm box will be open.
Okay for germany an example with a self build root:

Rootserver: 1000-2000€ one time. Okay that sounds good for the moment

BUT:

Network costs:
(100Mbit up/down dedicated line) 500€+++ / month
(10Mbit up/down dedicated line) 300€+++ /month
(2Mbit up/down dedicated line) 100€+++ /month (which won't be enough in my opinion)

And dedicated line uptime guarantee about ~95% with second line and costs*2 ~99%. Hosted server uptime guarantee ~99%.

Example:
95% guaranteed uptime means that your connection can be down for 438hours/18days 6hours a year!
((365*24)/100)*5

99% uptime means that your server is can be down for 87.6 hours a year!
((365*24)/100)*1

i'm pretty sure a private network connection in germany isn't able to solve the traffic of a rappelz pserver + webpage + teamspeak +++

Don't know what's up in other countries but we are talking about server hosting that means a good upload rate is importand too. In germany the upload rates for private internet connections are veeeeery low. If you want to have a high upload rate + uptime guarantee + 24/7 support you have to pay much more than renting a hosted server.

To the hoster webtropia:

To webtropia if there is a problem that they can't fix quickly they will ignore you. We had big network issues and it took a lot of time till webtropia fixed them (about 2 months which means about up to 3 complete network downs for 5-30 Minutes a day during 2 months)
Old   #19

well i have a 55Mb / 8MB connection, with a 3MB upload (hoping you all know difference between megaBIT and megaBYTE) and its not even the highest i can go, its ~75$ USD and my rig was 1700$ for a 3930k 12 core processor. its a fiber optic line so uptime is guaranteed 24/7. maybe my view is skewed since i am not from germany.

Old   #20

Quote:
well i have a 55Mb / 8MB connection, with a 3MB upload (hoping you all know difference between megaBIT and megaBYTE) and its not even the highest i can go, its ~75$ USD and my rig was 1700$ for a 3930k 12 core processor. its a fiber optic line so uptime is guaranteed 24/7. maybe my view is skewed since i am not from germany.
I'm talking about dedicated lines not about a shared line that can't even guarantee a minimum bandwith or anything because a lot of people are using the line...and yes i know the difference between bit and byte...every rappelz dev who is working with rdb files know the difference ...but what are you trying to tell us?
That you have a 55 Mbit download / 8 MegaByte upload line that has a real upload of 3 MegaByte? (i will use your abbreviations correct since you talked about the difference of Byte and Bit..Mb=MegaBit, MB=MegaByte).

I'm talking about a dedicated line with guaranteed bandwith not about a shared line that will cause problems during a high data amount on your internet node.

Do you know the internet infrastructure of hosting centers? They have more than one big backbones to solve connection issues in some parts of the web. Do you really think you only have to pay for the root at a hoster? There will be a big part calculated for the network costs. You can't reach the network availability of a hoster with a private network connection by spending 75$ a month. For me it's cheaper to rent a server than hosting at home.

Even a fiber optic line can't guarantee 100% uptime. Nobody can do this since even a fiber optic line is able to break The problem in this case how long will it take to solve this problem for a private customer

But if you don't believe in my words do the following. Setup a clean pserver with the serverfiles (will cost about 1 hour) and only let 30 players connect to your server. I'm pretty sure it won't be very funny
Old   #21

i have the pserver setup, in fact YOU urself helped me do it, my internet has been on for last 22 months straight, 0 downtime. Maybe things are different were you live, maybe not, but here, even home connections, are all 100% uptime. *** Communications is a HUGE isp here, and crappy service would kill their almost monopoly they have on being an (the) isp. i am aware that hosters access the web differently and more conveniently for alot of people, by brother has a degree in network administration. HOWEVER, do we really need to talk about the same level of bandwidth access youtube or facebook needs? No. i will be LUCKY to have the ~100 ppl online that is assumed to be my max.
If your offer was serious, i will 100% reopen my ports and send you my launcher files.
I want this to work out, i want it to be an example of "DIY" instead of outsourcing. To me it is the hardware equivalent of "let someone else deal with that" , something i feel most of you HATE when it comes to software. i dont want this to get /keep getting derailed, so if you wanna pm me about this, go ahead, my offer is valid. But as far as considering hosting goes, you guys work so hard on ur software, myy concern is why give it to someone else?
Old   #22

Quote:
i have the pserver setup, in fact YOU urself helped me do it, my internet has been on for last 22 months straight, 0 downtime. Maybe things are different were you live, maybe not, but here, even home connections, are all 100% uptime. *** Communications is a HUGE isp here, and crappy service would kill their almost monopoly they have on being an (the) isp. i am aware that hosters access the web differently and more conveniently for alot of people, by brother has a degree in network administration. HOWEVER, do we really need to talk about the same level of bandwidth access youtube or facebook needs? No. i will be LUCKY to have the ~100 ppl online that is assumed to be my max.
If your offer was serious, i will 100% reopen my ports and send you my launcher files.
I want this to work out, i want it to be an example of "DIY" instead of outsourcing. To me it is the hardware equivalent of "let someone else deal with that" , something i feel most of you HATE when it comes to software. i dont want this to get /keep getting derailed, so if you wanna pm me about this, go ahead, my offer is valid. But as far as considering hosting goes, you guys work so hard on ur software, myy concern is why give it to someone else?
Okay as i can see you are from the usa. That would be very interesting from europe. Open a server and we will see^^ Maybe i'm wrong cause i don't know the network infrastructure in the usa but i know that even the official rappelz server in the usa are a little bit laggy in europe
Old   #23

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 1,032
USA Copyright laws will not save the server if anything goes wrong either.
Old   #24

and actually thndr, that brings up a point i forgot, and it was oddly enough the reason i even started in this thread lol, what happens when ur host decides on a whim to investigate this "rappelz" game you are hosting, finds galalabs website, realizes you ar not galalabs, and either reports you to them, or just shuts you down?
Old   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIchigo View Post
Because Gala is lazy, and most servers aren't worth trying to close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thndr View Post
They would shut down your server.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongreldogg View Post
very often servers sutting down if its admins advertising pserver on official servers.
if you won't do this, there is less risk to get banned by your hoster

This should answer
Thanks
1 User
Old   #26

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 1,032
Quote:
and actually thndr, that brings up a point i forgot, and it was oddly enough the reason i even started in this thread lol, what happens when ur host decides on a whim to investigate this "rappelz" game you are hosting, finds galalabs website, realizes you ar not galalabs, and either reports you to them, or just shuts you down?
Well what Thelxinoe said and...there are countries that do not honor the same copyright laws.

Therefore getting a host that resides in one of those countries may suit better.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #27

Well this is all good information, but I think we should touch base as to what exactly Rappelz needs as a server in order to run fluidly.... Like:

What Download speed is recommended?
What Upload speed is recommended?
What speed of CPU?
What level of RAM will support how many players and the system overall?
How many Cores? 4? 6? 8? 57.5?
How much Data Transfer rate are we talking on average?
HDD or SDD?
How much storage in your HDD or SDD?
Do you need more than one IP?
Etc....

Knowing your basics is just as important as choosing a good Host. The more information we have the easier it is to direct questions to the correct answers.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenOnlyWishes View Post
Well this is all good information, but I think we should touch base as to what exactly Rappelz needs as a server in order to run fluidly.... Like:

What speed of CPU?
HDD or SDD?
Etc....

Knowing your basics is just as important as choosing a good Host. The more information we have the easier it is to direct questions to the correct answers.
i love this post, its perfect, and i wanna know about this "57.5 core cpu"
Old   #29

Quote:
At least in germany your hoster isn't allowed to check what's going on your root because it's you who is responsible for everything that's on the root! Normally this is a part of the hosting contract! Everything else is the same. The hoster won't report you because if he has to shut down the root he won't get money from you. The rest is unimportant for a hosting service provider. If someone reports you to galalab the hoster have to shut down the server in your case you have to shut it down.

But hey correct me if i'm wrong...there is no proof that galalab closed a single server (except DF roflmao)!
Old   #30

elite*gold: 30
Received Thanks: 3,185
Quote:
Get an 1Gbit-Connection and all should be fine.
Quote:
Depends on if you're hosting SQL on the same server or not and how many players you have.
On a server with ~50 players online, 8GB should be enough. On a server with 500 you should have atleast 20+, since SQL is using alot of it.
Quote:
I personally didn't care for it, but I think 4 should be ok for this, but depending on SQL, etc.
Quote:
Depends on how many player. At 500/600+ it's about 3-5mb/s, if I remember right.
Quote:
HDD or SDD?
I prefer SDD due SQL.
Quote:
As much as available. The Telecaster is getting fking huge.
Quote:
No. 1 is enough.