Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Programming
You last visited: Today at 06:24

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Creating a base from scratch, I need some advices

Discussion on Creating a base from scratch, I need some advices within the CO2 Programming forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Question Creating a base from scratch, I need some advices

After seeing a lot of sources, Working on them and Getting some experience. I'm gonna make my own base to increase my experience. My base will be coded in C#. The base patch is the recent, It will work on the latest version of client.

My questions!
  • What to use MySQL or MySQL with Entity Framework (Which is better in performance)?! If you have something better tell about it!
  • What should I take care about when working with Sockets?
  • Multithreading, Should I use Tasks,Threads or both?
  • Maps, Using Quad Tree or just a Simple Implantation?!
  • In packets handling, What is better, using attributes or just a switch statement with packets ids?
I really care about performance, If you have any idea to optimize it. Feel free to say it!.

Please if you don't have any experience about a question "Please don't answer it".

Sorry for my bad English, Thanks in advance.

Old 06/06/2017, 16:46   #2

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 3,701
I tend not to use ORM software such as EF, since it just causes performance problems and ends up abstracting a large amount of complexity. It depends on how you use it, but it's just more weight on my programs. MySQL is free and nice to use, more common than MsSQL but less common for Microsoft shops. If you're looking for experience, any SQL will do and MySQL is nice middle ground. MariaDB is what I use and I'm looking into MongoDB.

With respect to sockets, C# is pretty ******. Go with async and that's about the most you can do, unfortunately. Threading wise, limit your use of parallel for loops to startup only. They tend to be very poorly managed and cause lockups otherwise. Having a thread pool for processing player packets isn't a bad idea either. Not necessary for getting started though. That can always be added in. Same with attributes. Keep it simple to start with. Switch statements should convert to maps anyways if it's a decent language. Go does... Not sure about C#.

Maps can use a simplified quad tree like approach. That was something I was going to implement for my source. It's not entirely necessary for a game like Conquer. It will help quite a bit, but again, not too necessary for starting a source. It also doesn't need a full quad tree implementation. Sorry if there are typos, I'm on my phone.

Thanks
1 User
Old 06/06/2017, 19:38   #3

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited View Post
I tend not to use ORM software such as EF, since it just causes performance problems and ends up abstracting a large amount of complexity. It depends on how you use it, but it's just more weight on my programs. MySQL is free and nice to use, more common than MsSQL but less common for Microsoft shops. If you're looking for experience, any SQL will do and MySQL is nice middle ground. MariaDB is what I use and I'm looking into MongoDB.

With respect to sockets, C# is pretty ******. Go with async and that's about the most you can do, unfortunately. Threading wise, limit your use of parallel for loops to startup only. They tend to be very poorly managed and cause lockups otherwise. Having a thread pool for processing player packets isn't a bad idea either. Not necessary for getting started though. That can always be added in. Same with attributes. Keep it simple to start with. Switch statements should convert to maps anyways if it's a decent language. Go does... Not sure about C#.

Maps can use a simplified quad tree like approach. That was something I was going to implement for my source. It's not entirely necessary for a game like Conquer. It will help quite a bit, but again, not too necessary for starting a source. It also doesn't need a full quad tree implementation. Sorry if there are typos, I'm on my phone.
Thanks for answering, I'll finish it soon and release it for feedback.

Tags
entity framework, map, multithreading, mysql, sockets

« [Release] CrystalCoClient Server.dat encryption bypass | Monk Shackle Status Packet Structure »