Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 14:55

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Databases Discussion

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Databases Discussion

At the moment im studying Databases ..Started With MYSQL InnoDB Database and i created my Own MYSQL Wrapper and its working Perfectly now but i shouldnt stop Learning Database so i wanted to ask you guyz Lots of Questions Related To Databases ..

First Question :-
my next Database target is Either NHibernate Or Subsonic ..the question Here is whats best to use and what are the Pros and Cons of each of them ...

Second Question :-
i found website Posting New Type of ORM Database called PetaPoco it seemed better than all Types mentioned above but i never tried it .. btw its very easy to be Impemented .. so which one do u recommend me to Learn atm .. NHibernate , Subsonic or PetaPoco (to be able to Judge PetaPoco Database Here is its Link )

Third Question :-
How to know the Pros and Cons of certain Type of Database without checking Posts on Internet ( when releasing new type of database u dont find any posts about their Pros and Cons on Internet) so i wonder how can i judge the database im working with all databases seems to be working .. so how do i know that im choosing the Right Type of Database for my project ??

Regards
shadowman123

Old 09/21/2013, 00:42   #2

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 3,396
It really depends on preference. NHibernate is a .NET version of a Java object relational mapper. It's fairly good, but it has some issues with unsigned datatypes (since it is Java based). You can add your own data types to the system though, and so adding unsigned integers and shorts is very easy to do. It's very flexible and very easy to use. I personally can't stand Subsonic. It is a nice system to use, but it's not as flexible. It's more like "you're going to implement it our way. We're going to generate the classes you can use and you're going to like it". I could be wrong in saying that's the only way, but that's the easiest way to implement the system, and it's a bit too ugly for me. I like a cleaner, lighter approach, which is why I use NHibernate. You could also make your own mapper quite easily (fun project I kinda got a taste of in my Conquer++ source). Here's my advice, use what you're comfortable using. In the end, both are good systems. As for other systems, try googling about them and what they offer. Go off of your own judgement - use what you want to use and what you think will scale well in your project.

Old 09/21/2013, 00:58   #3

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang View Post
It really depends on preference. NHibernate is a .NET version of a Java object relational mapper. It's fairly good, but it has some issues with unsigned datatypes (since it is Java based). You can add your own data types to the system though, and so adding unsigned integers and shorts is very easy to do. It's very flexible and very easy to use. I personally can't stand Subsonic. It is a nice system to use, but it's not as flexible. It's more like "you're going to implement it our way. We're going to generate the classes you can use and you're going to like it". I could be wrong in saying that's the only way, but that's the easiest way to implement the system, and it's a bit too ugly for me. I like a cleaner, lighter approach, which is why I use NHibernate. You could also make your own mapper quite easily (fun project I kinda got a taste of in my Conquer++ source). Here's my advice, use what you're comfortable using. In the end, both are good systems. As for other systems, try googling about them and what they offer. Go off of your own judgement - use what you want to use and what you think will scale well in your project.
yea i agree with you in alots of points .. i hate the Subsonic system Letteraly but if it was good to use i'd learn it but since Tons of ppl told me that NHibernate is very Good to use it will my After next Database to learn ... i checked PetaPoco Found it got alot of Advantages :-
1 - its Performance seems to be very nice according to what was posted in their website and according to Speed its faster than both NHibernate and Subsonic

2 - Its just single file with the methods Needed that can be imported into any C# Project

Finally i find it very very Enjoyable to Create your Own Methods to create Good Database System that satisfy your needs

« I need help COMon - Advanced packet | DOS Attack »