Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 13:04

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

What about having a Conquer server running on Linux or Mac?

Discussion on What about having a Conquer server running on Linux or Mac? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old 04/02/2019, 23:51   #16

elite*gold: 0
Received Thanks: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraHen View Post
Also, if your point is being cross platform, we have some sources that already are. I know for a fact that COPSv7 (7? The C++ one, 6 or 7) runs on OSX via Qt - so probably Linux as well.
Yes, COPS v7 should run on Linux and any CPU (I tested it on Intel, PowerPC and ARM back in the days).

I already ran COPS v6 on Linux too (using Mono), but it required some minor modifications.
Thanks
1 User
Old 04/05/2019, 00:35   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraHen View Post
Also, if your point is being cross platform, we have some sources that already are. I know for a fact that COPSv7 (7? The C++ one, 6 or 7) runs on OSX via Qt - so probably Linux as well.
Yeah, it is a point... I’m a Mac user, and I hope to never develop for Windows again. Being cross platform would be nice in case of need...

And the flexibility to have the server running in a few seconds on another machine is great too.
Old 05/16/2021, 07:03   #18

So? javascript senseless or diffcult to make proper co server?

Doesn't the language javascript now days 2021 have some updated features?? to make a propper server like with c# or c++ ?
Old 05/16/2021, 20:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by krito777 View Post
So? javascript senseless or diffcult to make proper co server?

Doesn't the language javascript now days 2021 have some updated features?? to make a propper server like with c# or c++ ?
Not impossible but... ah forget it
Old 05/17/2021, 01:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintinho12 View Post
Not impossible but... ah forget it
but what?!
Old 05/17/2021, 03:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by krito777 View Post
but what?!
1) You don't need it. Simply, there's no upside to having, let's say node.js backend compared to C# .NET Core or Framework. In fact, there are some 'possible' downsides.

2) Potentially, you would need to handle a lot of concurrent connections and keep a lot of things in memory. A compiled language will take better advantage of cores and therefore will be a better choice for Conquer Online or probably any MMORPG backend? (I would appreciate if any more experienced developer on the subject can correct me on this if I'm wrong)

3) You probably wouldn't want to use javascript for such a huge project. Let alone the fact that debugging almost non-existant, I don't even want to imagine runtime errors you will face.

Long story short: Is it possible? Of course. Going back to your original question of "is it senseless or difficult?". Yes to both. If you want to build a Conquer Server that can run on linux, you can probably accomplish that via Mono + .NET Framework as stated by CptSky above. Other than that, .NET Core is a really good option. If you really want to avoid C# for whatever reason, better go to route of C++, GO, Rust or even Java.

Edit: After reading whole topic, noticed people already made similar points, lol.

Also just thought that Elixir/Erlang with OTP is a good option as well. Good performance, many needed components already implemented and most importantly hot code swapping, meaning that you can technically update your source without actually taking your game server down.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 05/17/2021, 11:00   #22

elite*gold: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latyos View Post
3) You probably wouldn't want to use javascript for such a huge project. Let alone the fact that debugging almost non-existant, I don't even want to imagine runtime errors you will face.
I agree with you, just not on the fact that debugging is almost non-existant. Debugging in any Javascript environment is very existant. It's been for a while now.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/17/2021, 19:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk55 View Post
I agree with you, just not on the fact that debugging is almost non-existant. Debugging in any Javascript environment is very existant. It's been for a while now.
It's a pain in the *** anyway
Old 05/17/2021, 22:49   #24

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latyos View Post
1) You don't need it. Simply, there's no upside to having, let's say node.js backend compared to C# .NET Core or Framework. In fact, there are some 'possible' downsides.

2) Potentially, you would need to handle a lot of concurrent connections and keep a lot of things in memory. A compiled language will take better advantage of cores and therefore will be a better choice for Conquer Online or probably any MMORPG backend? (I would appreciate if any more experienced developer on the subject can correct me on this if I'm wrong)

Long story short: Is it possible? Of course. Going back to your original question of "is it senseless or difficult?". Yes to both. If you want to build a Conquer Server that can run on linux, you can probably accomplish that via Mono + .NET Framework as stated by CptSky above. Other than that, .NET Core is a really good option. If you really want to avoid C# for whatever reason, better go to route of C++, GO, Rust or even Java.

Edit: After reading whole topic, noticed people already made similar points, lol.

Also just thought that Elixir/Erlang with OTP is a good option as well. Good performance, many needed components already implemented and most importantly hot code swapping, meaning that you can technically update your source without actually taking your game server down.

Thanks good explained me can fullow this.
Old 05/18/2021, 03:15   #25

elite*gold: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintinho12 View Post
It's a pain in the *** anyway
Haven’t had any issues, even had a node.js env in docker with nodemon without issues.

Tags
conquer, linux, mac, nodejs, server