Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?


Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 09:14

  • Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement



What about having a Conquer server running on Linux or Mac?

Discussion on What about having a Conquer server running on Linux or Mac? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Reply
 
Old 04/02/2019, 23:51   #16
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,406
Received Thanks: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraHen View Post
Also, if your point is being cross platform, we have some sources that already are. I know for a fact that COPSv7 (7? The C++ one, 6 or 7) runs on OSX via Qt - so probably Linux as well.
Yes, COPS v7 should run on Linux and any CPU (I tested it on Intel, PowerPC and ARM back in the days).

I already ran COPS v6 on Linux too (using Mono), but it required some minor modifications.
CptSky is offline  
Thanks
1 User
Old 04/05/2019, 00:35   #17
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 112
Received Thanks: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraHen View Post
Also, if your point is being cross platform, we have some sources that already are. I know for a fact that COPSv7 (7? The C++ one, 6 or 7) runs on OSX via Qt - so probably Linux as well.
Yeah, it is a point... Iím a Mac user, and I hope to never develop for Windows again. Being cross platform would be nice in case of need...

And the flexibility to have the server running in a few seconds on another machine is great too.
hyperco is offline  
Old 05/16/2021, 07:03   #18
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 146
Received Thanks: 17
So? javascript senseless or diffcult to make proper co server?

Doesn't the language javascript now days 2021 have some updated features?? to make a propper server like with c# or c++ ?
krito777 is offline  
Old 05/16/2021, 20:25   #19
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 797
Received Thanks: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by krito777 View Post
So? javascript senseless or diffcult to make proper co server?

Doesn't the language javascript now days 2021 have some updated features?? to make a propper server like with c# or c++ ?
Not impossible but... ah forget it
pintinho12 is offline  
Old 05/17/2021, 01:40   #20
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 146
Received Thanks: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintinho12 View Post
Not impossible but... ah forget it
but what?!
krito777 is offline  
Old 05/17/2021, 03:26   #21
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 91
Received Thanks: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by krito777 View Post
but what?!
1) You don't need it. Simply, there's no upside to having, let's say node.js backend compared to C# .NET Core or Framework. In fact, there are some 'possible' downsides.

2) Potentially, you would need to handle a lot of concurrent connections and keep a lot of things in memory. A compiled language will take better advantage of cores and therefore will be a better choice for Conquer Online or probably any MMORPG backend? (I would appreciate if any more experienced developer on the subject can correct me on this if I'm wrong)

3) You probably wouldn't want to use javascript for such a huge project. Let alone the fact that debugging almost non-existant, I don't even want to imagine runtime errors you will face.

Long story short: Is it possible? Of course. Going back to your original question of "is it senseless or difficult?". Yes to both. If you want to build a Conquer Server that can run on linux, you can probably accomplish that via Mono + .NET Framework as stated by CptSky above. Other than that, .NET Core is a really good option. If you really want to avoid C# for whatever reason, better go to route of C++, GO, Rust or even Java.

Edit: After reading whole topic, noticed people already made similar points, lol.

Also just thought that Elixir/Erlang with OTP is a good option as well. Good performance, many needed components already implemented and most importantly hot code swapping, meaning that you can technically update your source without actually taking your game server down.
Latyos is offline  
Thanks
2 Users
Old 05/17/2021, 11:00   #22
 
elite*gold: 130
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,622
Received Thanks: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latyos View Post
3) You probably wouldn't want to use javascript for such a huge project. Let alone the fact that debugging almost non-existant, I don't even want to imagine runtime errors you will face.
I agree with you, just not on the fact that debugging is almost non-existant. Debugging in any Javascript environment is very existant. It's been for a while now.
turk55 is offline  
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/17/2021, 19:28   #23
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 797
Received Thanks: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk55 View Post
I agree with you, just not on the fact that debugging is almost non-existant. Debugging in any Javascript environment is very existant. It's been for a while now.
It's a pain in the *** anyway
pintinho12 is offline  
Old 05/17/2021, 22:49   #24
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 146
Received Thanks: 17
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latyos View Post
1) You don't need it. Simply, there's no upside to having, let's say node.js backend compared to C# .NET Core or Framework. In fact, there are some 'possible' downsides.

2) Potentially, you would need to handle a lot of concurrent connections and keep a lot of things in memory. A compiled language will take better advantage of cores and therefore will be a better choice for Conquer Online or probably any MMORPG backend? (I would appreciate if any more experienced developer on the subject can correct me on this if I'm wrong)

3) You probably wouldn't want to use javascript for such a huge project. Let alone the fact that debugging almost non-existant, I don't even want to imagine runtime errors you will face.

Long story short: Is it possible? Of course. Going back to your original question of "is it senseless or difficult?". Yes to both. If you want to build a Conquer Server that can run on linux, you can probably accomplish that via Mono + .NET Framework as stated by CptSky above. Other than that, .NET Core is a really good option. If you really want to avoid C# for whatever reason, better go to route of C++, GO, Rust or even Java.

Edit: After reading whole topic, noticed people already made similar points, lol.

Also just thought that Elixir/Erlang with OTP is a good option as well. Good performance, many needed components already implemented and most importantly hot code swapping, meaning that you can technically update your source without actually taking your game server down.

Thanks good explained me can fullow this.
krito777 is offline  
Old 05/18/2021, 03:15   #25
 
elite*gold: 130
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,622
Received Thanks: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintinho12 View Post
It's a pain in the *** anyway
Havenít had any issues, even had a node.js env in docker with nodemon without issues.
turk55 is offline  
Reply

Tags
conquer, linux, mac, nodejs, server


Similar Threads Similar Threads
Conquer Server running on Linux(Ubuntu)
12/03/2011 - CO2 Private Server - 14 Replies
Hey Guys, im currently thinking about to start playing a bit with a ConquerServer. Im still wondering bout that no guides are available to run one under a unix based System. Is it possible to create a Conquer Server under Ubuntu and has maybe someone allready created a guide for ? greetings LeX
Conquer Online is having Mac version!!!
04/11/2011 - Conquer Online 2 - 13 Replies
Attention, Mac addicts! :bandit: We have some great news! The TQ team is proud to announce that Conquer Online is now coming to the Mac! This new Mac Beta version is scheduled for release around April, 2011. Soon, players on Mac will be able to do battle and quest in this epic world of Kung-Fu! Everyone will be able to join in the most exciting PvP battles, slay dangerous monsters, complete perilous tasks, and just have the most fun of your gaming life! ...
Tip - Running CO under Linux Or Mac
02/18/2009 - CO2 Guides & Templates - 3 Replies
First off, I'm not going to give step by step instruction. You can visit Google for in depth how-to's on running Applications such as Wine, VMware Fusion, Or BootCamp. --------------------------------------- Options for Running CO under Linux: --------------------------------------- Google: Wine or VMware
Help on Running Conquer on Linux
03/04/2007 - Conquer Online 2 - 1 Replies
I'm using SuSE Linux 9.3 and currently using "gfsgl" to run conquer on my linux box. Id did run and initialized, it even patched but as it loadds the main window, it flags an error. The log looks like this: GFSGL 0.92.1 (White Doll)...



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:14.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Support | Contact Us | FAQ | Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Abuse
Copyright ©2021 elitepvpers All Rights Reserved.