Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 03:14

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Conquer Server running on Linux(Ubuntu)

Discussion on Conquer Server running on Linux(Ubuntu) within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Conquer Server running on Linux(Ubuntu)

Hey Guys,

im currently thinking about to start playing a bit with a ConquerServer.
Im still wondering bout that no guides are available to run one under a unix based System.

Is it possible to create a Conquer Server under Ubuntu and has maybe someone allready created a guide for ?

greetings
LeX
Old 12/02/2011, 04:17   #2

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Write a custom source using Java!

There's the possibility you could re-write existing sources to not use any native calls and then run it on linux but support for .net isn't very good on that OS. Regardless, you're going to need to have some reasonable programming knowledge rather then following some guide and copy/pasting small changes to make it work fully on a linux distro.

Best of luck.
Old 12/02/2011, 05:50   #3

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
I'll convert one to Java when I have a free second. Finals are coming up so don't expect it soon.
Old 12/02/2011, 08:47   #4

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
Write a custom source using Java!

There's the possibility you could re-write existing sources to not use any native calls and then run it on linux but support for .net isn't very good on that OS. Regardless, you're going to need to have some reasonable programming knowledge rather then following some guide and copy/pasting small changes to make it work fully on a linux distro.

Best of luck.
You know that .NET is more portable that Java now in terms of Linux and Mac because of the Mono project (It comes pre-installed with the latest revision of Ubuntu now even). Is this a joke? Unless this person is coding hardcore as using the 4.0 features like XAML (which Mono has stated they have no intention of supporting) then it will likely run fine on the mono platform.
Old 12/02/2011, 09:18   #5

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousNoone View Post
You know that .NET is more portable that Java now in terms of Linux and Mac because of the Mono project (It comes pre-installed with the latest revision of Ubuntu now even). Is this a joke? Unless this person is coding hardcore as using the 4.0 features like XAML (which Mono has stated they have no intention of supporting) then it will likely run fine on the mono platform.
^
There you go. So if you're using Impulse's 5165 source or NewestCOServer, you're good.
Old 12/02/2011, 10:17   #6

TBH I'd rather go with C++ on Linux, you can squeeze out pretty solid performance with the BSD socket API using a technique that is available only on this platform (hint given).
Old 12/02/2011, 13:15   #7

So based on Mono under linux it should be useable? Becouse mono is not a 100 % working with evey .net based application
Old 12/02/2011, 13:37   #8

Let's put it like this. If you don't know what Mono is, you probably shouldn't even be using Linux in the first place.
Old 12/02/2011, 14:42   #9

i know what mono is, my question was how hard it will be to run it on it.

application like toomboy stickys or a small winkalender are 100 % working.
appication like paint.net are not .

so the will it work with more then less easy changes or will it be a nearly complette rewrite ?
Old 12/02/2011, 15:03   #10

Mono <3
Old 12/02/2011, 15:30   #11

Quote:
I was under the impression that native calls really screwed over mono.
Old 12/02/2011, 15:54   #12

Quote:
I was under the impression that native calls really screwed over mono.
And native calls are not necessary.
Old 12/02/2011, 16:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaussHacker View Post
And native calls are not necessary.
True... but just about every source I've seen public on epvp uses at least a few native calls which is why I said he'd need at least a decent knowledge of C# versus just following a simple copy/paste guide to get it working on linux.

I ofc have virtually zero knowledge of linux but just seems the bulk of it was still at least semi applicable. Aka: I confuzd!
Old 12/03/2011, 02:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh-lexus View Post
i know what mono is, my question was how hard it will be to run it on it.

application like toomboy stickys or a small winkalender are 100 % working.
appication like paint.net are not .

so the will it work with more then less easy changes or will it be a nearly complette rewrite ?
Quote:
^ ?????

Quote:
True... but just about every source I've seen public on epvp uses at least a few native calls which is why I said he'd need at least a decent knowledge of C# versus just following a simple copy/paste guide to get it working on linux.

I ofc have virtually zero knowledge of linux but just seems the bulk of it was still at least semi applicable. Aka: I confuzd!
You're right, platform invoke does screw-over mono, but it's not like it's particularly hard to get around it. Here's an example (though memcpy is available on linux afaik).

Code:
	public static 
	#if !LINUX
		extern
	#endif
	int memcpy(void* dst, void* src, int length)
	#if !LINUX
		;
	#else
	{
	    // Simple implementation, in no way the most efficient.
            byte* ps = (byte*)src;
            byte* pt = (byte*)dst;
	    for (int i = 0; i < length; i++)
            {
                *pt = *ps;
                pt++;
                ps++;
            }
	}
	#endif
Thanks
1 User
Old 12/03/2011, 15:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraHen View Post
TBH I'd rather go with C++ on Linux, you can squeeze out pretty solid performance with the BSD socket API using a technique that is available only on this platform (hint given).
If you mean epoll(), then you should realize that Mono uses it whenever possible on Linux.
Thanks
1 User