Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 04:24

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Rogue pvp spec?

Discussion on Rogue pvp spec? within the World of Warcraft forum part of the Popular Games category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Rogue pvp spec?

What spec do you guys prefer for pvp?
Old 03/13/2013, 02:25   #2

elite*gold: 6
I've played every spec in bgs for at least a couple of days each since the expansion.

Sub is good to play for when you're with your team for it's amazing cc capability. I've been playing it for the past two days. The easiest kidneys come from this spec as well as more garrotes and cheap shots, however if you expect to get a lot of kills and score high damage, sub isn't for you. The only decent damaging move you'll have is ambush which doesn't occur often enough in my opinion.

Combat relies on it's cooldown moves, but you also get the passive ability relentless blades. I find that because of killing spree it has the best opener. You also get a shortened sprint, but I feel that energy regeneration is the slowest as combat. I feel like it's slower than assassin because of how assassin is played. Unlike mut you're constantly and quickly spamming sin which is a pain when you don't have the energy for it at times. I think killing spree is the reason as to why most users play as combat because without it, it'd be worthless for PvP.

Assassin is my favorite out of the three but it also has the most limited control and talent tree selection. I get the highest damage and most killing blows in bgs as this spec. It may feel slow but don't think about mut. Calmly mut and think of kiting techniques, think more about your disarms, blinds, smoke bombs, gouges, and kicks. In my opinion it is also the best choice for classes that try to kite because keep in mind your poisons do all the damage for you. Most classes die in the process of trying to kite.

My opinion for best talent selection as assassination are:
15: Shadow focus: A free cheap shot or garrote. It's also the fastest way to get your rupture and slice and dice up, all it takes is two muts to get started (which won't be a problem with this selection)

30: Combat Readiness: Because you're not sub you're exchanging your control for damage so you're going to need self defense. This move has saved me plenty of times! You don't do enough kidneys and cheap shots to rely on nerve strike and because of your poisons always ticking, staying on your target constantly is less of a worry for deadly throw.

45: I'm currently using cheat death which isn't great, but isn't too bad as assassin. With a healer on you it can be very very rewarding, but after you get your 4pc leeching poison will be your best choice.

60: Shadow Step: Costs no energy. Mut is a very relaxed playstyle so remember if it's on cooldown that your poisons are ticking on your target, so pop a smoke bomb and stand inside. Chances are by the time your smoke bomb ends you'll either be able to stealth back to your target without a vanish or your step will be shortened by 5-7 seconds.

75: Dirty Tricks: MUST for assassin otherwise you'll absolutely hate it. Your 10 sec cooldown gouge will turn into a 15 second cooldown without this. Also because your damage is basically dots, your targets will be hurting in a blind and gouge and the only thing they can do about it is trinket.

90: Versatility: I use this all the time as assassination. As mut I hardly ever find myself going over the combo point limit unless I use shadow blades, so anticipation isn't really needed. If you have versatility use it! It is very very good in this spec and you can play warlock and dot/rupture multiple targets.

I'm still not exactly sure about talents for the other two specs. I've played them both, I liked sub more than combat but I still didn't feel comfortable with either one so I'm not the best person to get advice from about these two.
Old 03/13/2013, 02:31   #3

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozosexy View Post
I've played every spec in bgs for at least a couple of days each since the expansion.

Sub is good to play for when you're with your team for it's amazing cc capability. I've been playing it for the past two days. The easiest kidneys come from this spec as well as more garrotes and cheap shots, however if you expect to get a lot of kills and score high damage, sub isn't for you. The only decent damaging move you'll have is ambush which doesn't occur often enough in my opinion.

Combat relies on it's cooldown moves, but you also get the passive ability relentless blades. I find that because of killing spree it has the best opener. You also get a shortened sprint, but I feel that energy regeneration is the slowest as combat. I feel like it's slower than assassin because of how assassin is played. Unlike mut you're constantly and quickly spamming sin which is a pain when you don't have the energy for it at times. I think killing spree is the reason as to why most users play as combat because without it, it'd be worthless for PvP.

Assassin is my favorite out of the three but it also has the most limited control and talent tree selection. I get the highest damage and most killing blows in bgs as this spec. It may feel slow but don't think about mut. Calmly mut and think of kiting techniques, think more about your disarms, blinds, smoke bombs, gouges, and kicks. In my opinion it is also the best choice for classes that try to kite because keep in mind your poisons do all the damage for you. Most classes die in the process of trying to kite.

My opinion for best talent selection as assassination are:
15: Shadow focus: A free cheap shot or garrote. It's also the fastest way to get your rupture and slice and dice up, all it takes is two muts to get started (which won't be a problem with this selection)

30: Combat Readiness: Because you're not sub you're exchanging your control for damage so you're going to need self defense. This move has saved me plenty of times! You don't do enough kidneys and cheap shots to rely on nerve strike and because of your poisons always ticking, staying on your target constantly is less of a worry for deadly throw.

45: I'm currently using cheat death which isn't great, but isn't too bad as assassin. With a healer on you it can be very very rewarding, but after you get your 4pc leeching poison will be your best choice.

60: Shadow Step: Costs no energy. Mut is a very relaxed playstyle so remember if it's on cooldown that your poisons are ticking on your target, so pop a smoke bomb and stand inside. Chances are by the time your smoke bomb ends you'll either be able to stealth back to your target without a vanish or your step will be shortened by 5-7 seconds.

75: Dirty Tricks: MUST for assassin otherwise you'll absolutely hate it. Your 10 sec cooldown gouge will turn into a 15 second cooldown without this. Also because your damage is basically dots, your targets will be hurting in a blind and gouge and the only thing they can do about it is trinket.

90: Versatility: I use this all the time as assassination. As mut I hardly ever find myself going over the combo point limit unless I use shadow blades, so anticipation isn't really needed. If you have versatility use it! It is very very good in this spec and you can play warlock and dot/rupture multiple targets.

I'm still not exactly sure about talents for the other two specs. I've played them both, I liked sub more than combat but I still didn't feel comfortable with either one so I'm not the best person to get advice from about these two.

So, from your analysis on sub, I'm assuming it really wouldn't be the best damage dealer if you're running, say, monk healer/rogue damage for arena 2v2s?