Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 17:28

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

advertising section

Discussion on advertising section within the SRO Private Server forum part of the Silkroad Online category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 147
advertising section

lately people have been talking how sro community bleeding badly , in my opinion theres no one to blame but moderators. they have to take a deep look on how advertising section screaming, literally most of advertising threads are fake.. i know cause most of them are my friends and i know how the business works. every period of time they create new epvp account and buy a 1 month premium plan for 3$ then advertise their new server.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 08/23/2021, 23:32   #2

elite*gold: 0
You are right! they allow all those p-server posts thats why sro is death.
How to fix it? remove all those servers and leave only few good ones, and dont approve more servers with dumb edits and no future.
Old 08/25/2021, 17:49   #3

elite*gold: 13
What we need is an alternate community from elitepvpers with proper moderation and management. This place is a joke tbh lol, but the only existing hub for this kind of stuff that I know of
Old 08/25/2021, 21:55   #4
dotCom

elite*gold: 12400
The Black Market: 104/0/0
Received Thanks: 4,375
Instead of just listing the negative, you can also say how you think it could be improved.
If you look at the last new rule changes, I'm at least trying something. If you have any ideas on how to improve things, we are open to new suggestions, but accusing us of not trying or doing something is completely the wrong approach. Also, if you suspect a multiaccount, feel free to report this thread and we'll take a look.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 08/25/2021, 22:47   #5

elite*gold: 13
Just look at Kraken Online post lol

I'm surprised that you're a mod now lol congrats?

Edit for clarity:

1. The signature is 614kb while the max size allowed is 600kb.
2. The signature is used multiple times in some posts.

And suggestions you say?

1. Don't let people quote the main thread.
2. Let people view images on threads even if they are not logged in. (this is a feature reserved for people willing to dump a crazy amount of money on these "forums")
3. Enforce the rules about spamming and don't just wait for reports to come in to act.
4. Lock threads with broken website URLs (most of them) to keep the real servers in the first page.
5. Have a thread with the staff for the active forums and how to reach out to you guys for questions or help.
Old 08/25/2021, 23:32   #6
dotCom

elite*gold: 12400
The Black Market: 104/0/0
Received Thanks: 4,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Silverlight* View Post
Just look at Kraken Online post lol

I'm surprised that you're a mod now lol congrats?

Edit for clarity:

2. The signature is used multiple times in some posts.

And suggestions you say?

2. Let people view images on threads even if they are not logged in. (this is a feature reserved for people willing to dump a crazy amount of money on these "forums")
3. Enforce the rules about spamming and don't just wait for reports to come in to act.
4. Lock threads with broken website URLs (most of them) to keep the real servers in the first page.
5. Have a thread with the staff for the active forums and how to reach out to you guys for questions or help.
We can also only be so good if you help by simply reporting these posts. Just click this Icon at the post and report it. Unfortunately we can not always search every thread for new posts.

1. If I find some post I'll delete it, of course.
2. Sadly this is not gonna happen, you need a account / logged in to view images.
3. Read the answer above about we can not view any new post, there are thousands of new post every day.
4. Same part, we can not check every thread each day if the website is still working or not. We are doing the moderator stuff at our free time. It's not a paid job.
5. We already have that: + you can see in every section who is the section moderator.

at the bottom:

Yeah the rule is saying 600kb, but we have a small tolerance.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/26/2021, 00:50   #7

elite*gold: 260
Received Thanks: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devsome View Post
Instead of just listing the negative, you can also say how you think it could be improved.
If you look at the last new rule changes, I'm at least trying something. If you have any ideas on how to improve things, we are open to new suggestions, but accusing us of not trying or doing something is completely the wrong approach.
I do think it's silly to blame epvp for anything in regards to SRO "bleeding". If anything epvp has helped keep SRO alive during all these years. I'll throw in my 2c about something I've noticed though.

I myself do not like how signature event images end up cluttering up all threads people post in, but the easy solution is to just disable signatures, so I have. However, I strongly support the idea of the signature events, because if people want to get their benefits and do some free advertising to show others they're playing on whatever server, then indirect word of mouth advertising like that is great, even though it can be annoying if you don't want to see that stuff in signatures everywhere else.

One thing I've noticed, is people abusing the "expandable" image tag to make images larger than they should be. While they might not be breaking any rules about image size, the resulting effect is not desirable at all. To just show one example, and I'm not picking on anyone in particular, just what I see:

The following image is 600 x 193 pixels: (taken from )

I have a 4k monitor that scales to 150%, so the image itself is pretty small relative to my screen. Actually, here's an image of my entire screen showing just how small the image should appear (with my browser bar/task bar blacked out):

However, if you check the following post:

This is how large the image actually ends up being on my monitor as a result:

People using this in signatures makes all threads full of these massively sized images that aren't technically breaking any rules on physical or pixel size, but the forum display itself is just too large. I'd rather disable all signatures to not have to deal with that image clutter (which I have), but then when people bypass the signature and embed it into their post directly like the poster above did, then it starts to be an annoyance across threads when browsing them, because then you'd have to either browser block the image itself to avoid seeing it.

It's not a direct complaint from me though, because as long as that stuff stays in that section, it doesn't affect me, but when talking about that section, I think it's worth bringing up.

I feel that as long as the pserver advertising stuff stays in that forum section, you guys are doing more than enough. Other than the implications of the forum hosting such advertising threads, and giving people rules to follow content wise, it's beyond epvp's responsibility to determine who is "worthy" of running a server or not. Ultimately, it's up to the people in the community to not support and join "bad servers".

It's funny how people complain about servers that just milk players for money, yet they still play on those servers, advertise the servers with the signature event, and give them money for silk. If anything, the community is what needs to change, not the advertising section itself. Trying to figure out who gets to run a server or not doesn't solve any problems. If anything, people will just try to exploit the system so they're the ones that get to benefit with as little competition as possible, so I'd strongly be hesitant towards any moves to those types of restrictions, but it sounds like that's not even an option on the table right now, so no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Silverlight*
This is not an epvp or even SRO issue. People quoting large main threads in their reply and only dropping one sentence, has been one of the biggest annoyances on the internet as a whole forever. As someone who writes massively large threads, it pains me seeing people quote my entire thread just to say a few words. "Don't make such large main posts then" isn't a solution though, and removing people's ability to quote the main thread in the first place doesn't work because people still need to be able to take sections out as they were written, so I've yet to see any real solution for this problem.

It could be made a rule to not quote the entire post, but then it's a bunch of busy work for mods/admins in what ultimately is just a minor inconvenience that doesn't really hurt anyone.
Thanks
4 Users
Old 08/26/2021, 05:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devsome View Post
If you look at the last new rule changes, I'm at least trying something. If you have any ideas on how to improve things, we are open to new suggestions, but accusing us of not trying or doing something is completely the wrong approach. Also, if you suspect a multiaccount, feel free to report this thread and we'll take a look.
1 year at least between each server , you cant advertise your server unless you been active for 3 months or so , would be great adding fee for advertising like 100$
Thanks
2 Users
Old 08/26/2021, 15:20   #9

elite*gold: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbum* View Post
1 year at least between each server , you cant advertise your server unless you been active for 3 months or so , would be great adding fee for advertising like 100$
I love it. Lets make a fee like 10k$ because 100$ won‘t stop ****. Like u said. Your FRIENDS are doing it. Can‘t u ask them how much they earn out of it? They‘ll for sure earn those 100 buckeroos to make another thread.

Being active for 3 months isn‘t the worst idea. On the other hand just buy a elitepvpers account and use that one or pay someone to make that thread.

What does 1 year between each server change against your server has to be online for at least 6 months? If you go down earlier you have to wait anyways.

Those suggestions won‘t change things. The only thing that actually would change something is to provide better tools to monitor all servers and their teams.

Also its not even the mods fault. Its simply a community thing. For example there are even softer rules on Metin2 and Flyff still those pserver sections are kinda fine compared to Silkroad. So how do we fix it, oh yeah. Tell ur friends to stop or finally tell a mod about them and report them properly so that the mods actually can do their work.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/26/2021, 17:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ykoe View Post
I love it. Lets make a fee like 10k$ because 100$ won‘t stop ****. Like u said. Your FRIENDS are doing it. Can‘t u ask them how much they earn out of it? They‘ll for sure earn those 100 buckeroos to make another thread.

Being active for 3 months isn‘t the worst idea. On the other hand just buy a elitepvpers account and use that one or pay someone to make that thread.

What does 1 year between each server change against your server has to be online for at least 6 months? If you go down earlier you have to wait anyways.

Those suggestions won‘t change things. The only thing that actually would change something is to provide better tools to monitor all servers and their teams.

Also its not even the mods fault. Its simply a community thing. For example there are even softer rules on Metin2 and Flyff still those pserver sections are kinda fine compared to Silkroad. So how do we fix it, oh yeah. Tell ur friends to stop or finally tell a mod about them and report them properly so that the mods actually can do their work.
its not only my friends , its just a private of general case. 6 months option just made people to create new accounts to advertise their 1~2 weeks servers.fighting new accounts would be a good option though,however there might be some cheater as you mentioned. at the end of the day you will have to collect an acceptable trade-off.
Old 08/28/2021, 07:45   #11
Chat Killer In Duty

elite*gold: 5
Received Thanks: 6,460
Dev has been a mod for quite some time here but I speak from experience for being a mod since 2012

What you call "Bleeding" is an exaggeration and also a misguided statement

You see, we have made rules, guidelines and restrictions to a lot of the things that you guys dont see behind the scene

For every thread you see on the section, you have 10+ being removed because they are not fit to be posted

I have deleted more threads than I approve. Threads without even on simple read of the rules, threads with lacking information. And the funniest part is that I have been threatened by people on discord with "I spent $2k on advertising, you MUST APPROVE our thread"

This is just a small example, so you guys understand what we have to deal with on daily basis

censoring the name to not give away who is the guy doing it, but yeah. I had to delete around 15 threads posted all at once with lacking information

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbum* View Post
levery period of time they create new epvp account and buy a 1 month premium plan for 3$ then advertise their new server.
Fun fact: and Dev can back me up on this. We deal with these a lot. Most of these guys are behind proxies hosted on VPS. It is very hard for us to track the less obvious ones. But in the case you guys think of anyone doing so, let us know via the Report function
Quote:

This is a general forum rule, not a SRO one. As Devsome stated, we are physically and mentally unable to inspect every single post on a section. That's why as a user, you are given the chance to report any activity you guys feel goes against the

Quote:
although it isnt a rule, i was planning on asking the Admins if they can implement a "Click for more" on big quotes. That way, users dont fill up a page with quotes
Quote:
This can be talked out with the admins too
Quote:
There are dozens of dozens of threads on the section. Before Spidy and Nectix left, we had the manpower to just a fraction of that, and I REALLY have to give shoutouts to @ because she was able to do this almost non stop for hours
Quote:
This was discouraged by the Admins some years ago and falls on the manpower point i said before, We just cant do it with just 2 mods
Quote:
The General Rules already mention on what to do to contact us. Using the Report Function is the main way that we work and should always be encouraged. Other than that, our DMs, both on here and Discord are always open for report and help, although we REALLY ask you guys to report on the forum instead
Thanks
2 Users
Old 09/05/2021, 14:55   #12

elite*gold: 112
I found a friend did that but he got ban , so i think the moderators are watching everything well , also DevSome Joins the channels for the game to check who are the real admins!

I agree with the rules because it protects the players and the community from failure

but ..... business is business
Old 09/09/2021, 08:47   #13

elite*gold: 0
id delete every server thread which is using ghost users or fake numbers without telling us. for example flare online, 5500 chars online. i understand that this is kind of business for you too and those ppl pay alot to be on your sticky. but still these server just lie about everything, try to make quick money and dont deserve a place for advertisment.
Old 09/09/2021, 16:58   #14
Chat Killer In Duty

elite*gold: 5
Received Thanks: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by neigakalle View Post
id delete every server thread which is using ghost users or fake numbers without telling us. for example flare online, 5500 chars online. i understand that this is kind of business for you too and those ppl pay alot to be on your sticky. but still these server just lie about everything, try to make quick money and dont deserve a place for advertisment.
there are some plans for this, but they are being researched atm

In the current state we are right now, we have no tools or the people to massively execute this and honestly, it falls outside our current boundaries

We are VERY VERY aware of this issue and as a Team, we personally shun and dislike this. But for the time being, there is not much we can do....................for now
Thanks
2 Users
Old 09/16/2021, 04:44   #15

elite*gold: 2
While there are certainly faults from the Elitepvpers' team side, you cannot completely blame them for the current state of the SRO scene. Sure some of the rules are too tightly and too loosely moderated (in my opinion), but that has nothing to do with the main topic at hand.

I see the concept of "too many servers too soon" being thrown around a lot. Too many servers coming up, milking money, dying quick, and closing within a matter of weeks/months. The 6 month rule for thread publishing was a really smart idea that helped combat against this, but for the reasons multiple people have been replying with above, it's certainly not perfect. Is this the fault of the Elitepvpers Team though? Not totally. Lately "jumping servers" and playing them for shorter and shorter time periods has become a trend - and that is a player/community issue. If such a thing never occurred/stopped occurring, this issue would be much less prevalent among every forum. But... it's been like this for years, and it's only continuing to get worse.

I do believe many of the small issues such as minor rulebreakings can be solved by adding more moderators to the SRO section. I see Devsome intervening with nearly every issue that occurs in this section... but he is one person, and he is also a Community Manager & Global Mod. His effort is not unnoticed, but it's obvious that with all the issues running rampid, it's not a job for 1-2 moderators. Quickly resolving small issues like post abuse etc. help to boost the quality of the SRO section of this forum all around, and not to mention it would help cut down on times for reports and thread approvals. Definitely a solution worth looking into.

Quote:
What we need is an alternate community from elitepvpers with proper moderation and management. This place is a joke tbh lol, but the only existing hub for this kind of stuff that I know of
There are already alternate communities/forums that exist for SRO, such as Maxi**** and Extra****. These are just the Turkish ones though. There is no international community matched with Elitepvpers when it comes to SRO, and that is where the issue comes in with such a suggestion. It would be impossible to accumulate a community that consistently uses such a thing, especially with the current dwindling state of the community numbers. Elitepvpers has a reputation as a universal forum that has been around for years and years... old players, new players, players from different games, etc. are exposed to servers using EPVP, which simply could not be matched with any new forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalDark View Post
there are some plans for this, but they are being researched atm

In the current state we are right now, we have no tools or the people to massively execute this and honestly, it falls outside our current boundaries

We are VERY VERY aware of this issue and as a Team, we personally shun and dislike this. But for the time being, there is not much we can do....................for now
This was talked about a lot, I didn't expect it to actually be planned though.

I hope that if such a thing is ever close to being implemented, you conduct thorough research on the actual limitations of the modules, not only with vsro188, but with every locale and type of files.

Not only that, but with different strengths of hosts, different numbers of gameservers/agentservers etc.

There are some people who claim to know the true capacity for their own benefit and to establish their own credibility, and others who just go along with it because these people have a well-known reputation... but in reality, nobody has exceeded the limits to know what they actually are. Everything known about the true max number of players on a server is based on calculations and theories. There's still a lot we don't know about sro's modules, and taking someone's word for it is not an option in this case. Until someone actually proves that there is a point in which a server is "unplayable" due to lag etc., or actually crashes a server with a certain number of players, it's unfair to implement such a rule.

Even with this point in mind, this only allows servers to stop posting player counts above a certain "unrealistic" number, and narrows the range down from absurd numbers such as 10,000. Low population servers can still spoof their 0xA101 packet to fake their player counts and be well below the "max" all while being undetected.

It's a very difficult and unrealistic rule to put in place, but if there was a way to solve all of the challenges that come up with such a thing, it would definitely be a cool addition to give players some clarity.