Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > General Gaming > General Gaming Discussion > Private Server
You last visited: Today at 09:07

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[MU] How to make a Substitute D: Drive

Discussion on [MU] How to make a Substitute D: Drive within the Private Server forum part of the General Gaming Discussion category.

Closed Thread

Old   #1

elite*gold: 235
The Black Market: 135/1/0
Received Thanks: 17,758
Okay a TON of people are looking all over the forums for a guide or some help on making a D: drive, so I?ll remake my guide again. It?s slightly long, but I hope everyone understands it. When I had it up before the wipe, a lot of people thanked me :P. Okay here we go:

[edit] HAAZA I remembered who inspirered me >.> it was Iod, so techincally all thanks goes to Iod for mentally helping me with this guide >.>

The first thing you?ll want to do is make sure you don?t have anything physical on that D: drive (like a CD drive or DVD drive: go to My Computer and look at your drives. Now if you already have a D: drive you?re good to go (like two hard drives, if you?re not sure just continue with the guide ). Here?s a pic of what my My Computer looks like:

Now I, like all of you reading this assuming you have no D drive, don'y have one. Now here's how to move your other drives down to make room for your drive:

First, Go to Control Panel in your Start Menu

and then go to Administartive Tools

Next, you'll want to click on Computer Management

Then in Computer Management, you'll want to click on Disk Managment (If you don't see it, click on Storage to make it drop down below it, or in it's vicinity.)

You'll notice I have a CRAPTASTIC ammount of Hard Drive, as well as space, but you don't see me not having a server, eh? Okay besides that, you'll want to change the letters of both CD drive and DVD drive (unless you only have one). Right click on the CD/DVD drive and click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Now in here you'll see three buttons; Add, Change, and Remove. Before I changed my CD and DVD drive letters it came up with some warning. I haven't had any problems, so if you do I don't know what you did.

go ahead and change your letters to anything, except D (of course :P). Now you need to make that D drive

the concept of the D drive really pissed me off at first since I didn't know what it meant. Well here's how to make it:

load up command prompt (or Ms-Dos prompt) through whatever method you want (I prefer going to run..and typing in cmd as an easy shortcut. ) okay you load it up and you'll see this:

now if you type subst /? and you're new to this, you'll see a bunch of crap. At least that's what I thought it was. When you're done with guide maybe you'll understand what that means. EX lets say you want to make a server (lol :P) like Mu and you put the severfiles in C: and no other folder/drive. So in cmd you'd type subst D: C:\muserver (or whatever you named your server files)

Once you type subst D: C:\muserver you should get this

it should appear nothing happened but when you recheck your My Computer....YOU MADE A D: DRIVE!

Congrats ^^ and thanks to Iod for this next tid-bit. Everyone know when you log-off or turn your computer off, you'll lose you D; drvie, but nothing in it, you wont lose your server folder, just the drive. Now Iod posted this .bat file that loads if up everytime you log back on!

thanks guys and I hope this guide is useful to anyone

oh yeah >> sorry about that forgot to TELL you where it goes. C: Documents and Settings, your name, Program files, and startup. unzip it :P
Attached Files
File Type: ibf post-75-1124444695.ibf (132 Bytes, 2007 views)
Thanks
16 Users
Old 08/25/2005, 15:35   #2

elite*gold: 0
na toll ich habe eine dvd laufwerk namens d was soll ich nun machen?

kannst du mir mal bitte eine antwort geben oder biste im urlaub...

meine kumpels nerven xD
Thanks
1 User
Old 04/30/2006, 01:04   #3

This can be done to create any range of virtual drives with any drive letter, not specifically D:\. However, good example for those who would choose to use that drive.

This can also be done for network shares. Some individuals would rather see a local drive on their PC rather than a network drive. Same concept applies, however you will be using UNC formatting to connect to the physical drive.

To connect the network drive as local disk (example):
Code:
subst h: \\server_example\c:\drivers
If you receive this message (example):
Code:
Path not found - \\server_example\c:\drivers
The UNC path is either incorrect, a firewall application is blocking file sharing, or the network cable is unplugged. Make sure you can connect to the network path. Open My Computer and in the address bar and type your share or server UNC path name (ie. \\server_example\c:\drivers ). If you still can not connect allow File and Printer sharing within ICF.

These virtual drives will disappear after reboot unless (as noted above) you have created a .vbs, .bat file to automatically enable the shares. Without having to create a new bat file or vbs script you can add the following lines into autoexe.bat and will automatically load.

Open notepad and select File-> Open-> type "c:\autoexec.bat" (without quotes)-> Open. Now, autoexec.bat should be open and you can configure boot to load your devices.

Example:

Booting a local virtual drive:
Code:
subst <avail_drive_letter>: c:\drivers
Booting a Network virtual drive:
Code:
subst <avail_drive_letter>: \\server_example\c:\drivers

Once autoexec.bat is configured, save the changes and close. Your virtual drives should load on the next reboot. Enjoy

Just like to note. When engaged any type of management (saving, deleting, editing, etc...) your changes are set, just as it were a local folder. All this feature does is bind a local or network Folder as a Virtual drive. Also, if you receive an error at bootup, stating that it's unable to connect to the network drive, don't panic, make sure the network share (computer) is available, OR you deleted the Folder on that pc.
Old 08/24/2009, 16:42   #4

du hast vergessen deinen namen beim letzten screen zu editieren, will ^^
Old 09/17/2009, 17:57   #5

Do I have to do this everytime i turn on computer?
Old 12/12/2009, 12:01   #6

Ok so what your saying in the beginning is that i2 hard drives i dont need to do this D: drive thing? right? My second hard drive is 1Tb. Is that enough space to run a shaiya server?
Old 01/03/2010, 23:57   #7

BIIIIGGG TTHHAAANKSSS!!

Thank you very much!
Old 02/24/2010, 19:06   #8

i tried the steps of making D:/Drive but it didnt work and it said something about the perimeter tried to run install_server.bat but it came up with an error message about remote connections but you have already got them all enabled
Old 02/24/2010, 22:02   #9

Received Thanks: 3,355
Please search for newer guide on google, and don't bump almost five years old threads.

#Closed
Thanks
1 User
Closed Thread