Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > General > Joining e*pvp
You last visited: Today at 23:08

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Application [Conquer Online 2]

Discussion on Application [Conquer Online 2] within the Joining e*pvp forum part of the General category.

Closed Thread

Old   #1

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
Application [Conquer Online 2]

Who I am: Hey there, my name's Gareth. When I first joined the community (in a game called Conquer Online), I was given the nickname "Spirited", and it's rather stuck with me. Feel free to call me whatever you'd like, though. You can also call me by my real name, username, or any other name you'd like to make up (as long as I know you're referring to me).

Contact Information: You can email me (spiritedfang) at gmail. If that wasn't clear, that's spiritedfang using the email provider gmail.com (replace "using the email provider" with the at sign). You can also contact me through this forum (I check this more often than my email).

About Me / Age / Background: I'm a British-Danish-American, born and raised in California (The United States), age 21. Programming is my craft, and I use it to enhance my life, education, and community. It really is my passion and why I'm here. Sharing interests and encouraging others to do the same is what got me here to begin with, and I take great pride in keeping that tradition alive.

As far as my interests go, I love game development (specifically for Conquer Online). I love interprocess communications and all the systems involve in handling a game server the most. I also love creating game clients, client tools and programs, and websites.

Reason for my application: I'd like to be a moderator here because I believe sharing knowledge is a powerful skill in human beings. Communication has evolved us into such intelligent beings, and it's quite a shame to see it go down the drain a bit with the internet and closed mindedness of some interest groups. Knowledge really is power in this world, and I'd be very interested in working with others to achieve higher knowledge (as a community effort). With the decline of interest in moderating the section, I would also like to step forward in ensuring that the community is well taken care of, and to provide a stable environment for members interested in development, the game, or both.

Experience with the subject: I currently attend college as a student in Software Engineering. I'm working on transferring to a university this fall, so hopefully I'll be accepted to my first choice. As the first in my family to attend college, I'm really excited about my education. Most of my experience comes from my own academic research - not from classes. I'm currently in the position where programming languages are no barrier for me. I understand enough of how programming is designed to know what's possible in main programming languages and what to look for. Also, I have been playing Conquer Online since I was 14, and I have three years of experience in developing Conquer Online applications.

Previous Preparations: I have a few small jobs going for me at this moment: I'm a tutor and lab assistant for my college's computer science department, a sales associate for computers, software, tablets, and mostly all electronics on the market today, and a freelance computer repair technician (I do IT work as well on the side for Oculus VR). Luckily, programming is my hobby, so I still have time to socialize and try new things. I have both time and patience on my hands to work with the community - and with my current levels of activity, moderating is within my time schedule.

Moderation & Leadership Experience: With my previous work experience in assisting customers, clients, and students, and with my experience in working with the members of this community, I am well prepared for a position as a moderator. I have two years of experience moderating and administrating other communities, communities that have run their course and that I am no longer involved with. This would be my first time moderating a section for Elitepvpers. I also have three years of experience leading volunteer opportunities and activities for my city's retirement home, and one year in leading workshops on my college's campus.

Conclusion: If you have any other questions about my application, feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to answer them. If you have any questions about programming, I'll also do my best to answer them (privately of course). If programming isn't your thing, no worries. Games are awesome too! Thanks for reading my application, and have a great weekend.
Thanks
12 Users
Old 05/15/2013, 22:24   #2

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,977
Well, it is known that Fang and I have had our discussions in the past; yet, and taking his helpful responses on threads, and reports, I'd believe Fang is the best qualified member of the CO2 section that is interested in the position right now.

I must say that I am not sure how unbiased you could be with some posts, yet I want to believe you will always remain neutral whenever it comes to the moderation tasks -in case you get the position-.

Best of luck on this application, you got my vote and support.
Old 05/15/2013, 22:55   #3

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
He's knowledgeable, doesn't play favorites and very active in the section.

I was actually considering stepping back up to fill the rather large void in the section currently but if fang or some other member is willing to take on the role then they have my full support (and gratitude).

Definite yes from me.
Old 05/16/2013, 21:42   #4

elite*gold: 0
The Black Market: 259/0/0
Received Thanks: 3,611
Aren't you the owner of ?

Moderatores aren't allowed to have privat servers for the same thematic as their moderated section.
Old 05/16/2013, 22:04   #5

you saying if you want to be a mod you need to quit your project? with all the respect but thats a stupid rule.
Old 05/16/2013, 22:24   #6

The Black Market: 259/0/0
Received Thanks: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGragen. View Post
you saying if you want to be a mod you need to quit your project? with all the respect but thats a stupid rule.
Let's say it's one of the sacrifices you have to make.
But yes, you shouldn't be involved to any privat server.
Old 05/16/2013, 22:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
doesn't play favorites
I call bullshit.
---
isnt fang an admin on 4bot? or prev was
He has been banned multiple times in the past.

No.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/17/2013, 00:23   #8

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawak View Post

Moderatores aren't allowed to have privat servers for the same thematic as their moderated section.
I don't host a private server. It's a development that I run for my own entertainment and education. Basically, when I finish a feature that's easy to release, I release information about that feature to the community. It's not a running private server because it's not public nor is it online. Sorry for any confusion, and thanks for bringing that up.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/17/2013, 10:08   #9

So lets be honest here, as much as I am indeed a troll, I did also used to be a moderator properly. So I do know what it takes to be a mod and how to behave as a mod. I honestly don't see you putting your own feelings aside when it comes to disciplining members. You let your feelings get in the way of your conduct as a moderator. Someone you don't' like says something mildly out of line, I can see you infracting. As opposed to a pal of yours that says something obviously out of line, I can see you deleting his post, and giving him a brief talking to. Also, you let trolls get to you just a tad too much. We've all seen you get a little hurt over what people say or do to you and express yourself in ways that someone who is an aspiring moderator should not conduct as such. While you are very knowledgeable of the section and great at what you do, its plain as day to see that you are not as fit to be a moderator. The way you act on the forum is a front. I mean honestly man, what kind of a moderator talks to other members of elitepvpers as we've seen in private MSN messages that were previously publicly on display. I've got to say with complete honesty, I do not believe you have the attributes that are required to become a moderator. Best of luck to you.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/18/2013, 06:14   #10

Some people are set to be leaders and some are just destined to follow. I've seen too many improper actions on your part as in insulting people like Arco, Stigs, or Decker in your stay here. I don't think you are fit to moderate the section we love so much. Thank you for your time sir.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/18/2013, 08:07   #11

From what I remember, this guy is a crybaby. Sorry but I do not think he would make a good moderator. He has a very bad temper and gets upset easily, if someone were to say something he didn't like, I could see him automatically giving an infraction whether or not it was against the rules. He may be a helpful community member, but not suitable for a moderator position.
Old 05/18/2013, 15:38   #12

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
I adore just how stuck up on the past people seem to be.

Let me lay this down for a few people...

#1: Conquer online section NEEDS a moderator who is intimately familiar with both the game, the section's history and the game protocol itself. Anything less then that is useful but not what the section really needs.

#2: There are less then a handful of such members left in the section who are more than marginally active.

#3: Fang is one of them, has shown over a number of years now that he has moved past his previous issues on this site and is (unlike every other member of that knowledgeable subset) willing to do the job.

So honestly... shouldn't we be a touch more focused on how he's presented himself and the contributions he's actively made to the section over the last year or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Straight View Post
.... improper actions on your part as in insulting people like Arco, Stigs, or Decker in your stay here.
You use insulting 3 members who's only purpose on this site was to troll members and cause drama 'improper'? Hell, Decker was perma banned on any account suspected of being his for a very long time.

No, not trying to discount some of his previous problems but my lord they are so far in the past that it's a bit laughable at this point.

Seriously ask yourself though... who the hell else would moderate the section actively, knowledgeably and fairly outside of fang? I'm drawing a short to non-existent list, especially when you consider the rule against moderators managing a private server in their section.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/18/2013, 19:16   #13

Received Thanks: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawak View Post

Well, it's not really a private server, but an educational project. Until he decides to open a server, I think his application is conform to the rule.

---

Also, I support his application. The section needs a new moderator and Fang is part of the handful active members that I respect for all the efforts they put in the community. He is more than capable of moderating the section.
Old 05/19/2013, 02:43   #14

Quote:

Seriously ask yourself though... who the hell else would moderate the section actively, knowledgeably and fairly outside of fang? I'm drawing a short to non-existent list, especially when you consider the rule against moderators managing a private server in their section.
You again. That'd be a great choice.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/19/2013, 03:00   #15

Quote:
Hell, Decker was perma banned on any account suspected of being his for a very long time.
I'm not running for moderator
Closed Thread