Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Other Online Games > Browsergames > DarkOrbit
You last visited: Today at 21:38

  • Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!


Copyright Violation and Hosting Server

Reply
 
Old   #1
 
elite*gold: 100
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 83
Received Thanks: 19
Question Copyright Violation and Hosting Server

Hey guys I'm currently about to complete my remix online project I literally cloned the game for pvp. Everythink you look for pvp is available.

My question is that, is anyone encountered copyright issues with bigpoint due to hosting a private server or a game clone, whats the worst that can happen ?

And second is: How good my server should be to host around 50 players(or how much an avarage server can host), would people make donations to keep the server up ?

I know there is not exact answer I am just looking for your advice, thanks.



[-DarKShooteR-] is offline  
Old 01/09/2018, 16:45   #2


 
elite*gold: 325
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,046
Received Thanks: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by [-DarKShooteR-] View Post
Hey guys I'm currently about to complete my remix online project I literally cloned the game for pvp. Everythink you look for pvp is available.

My question is that, is anyone encountered copyright issues with bigpoint due to hosting a private server or a game clone, whats the worst that can happen ?

And second is: How good my server should be to host around 50 players(or how much an avarage server can host), would people make donations to keep the server up ?

I know there is not exact answer I am just looking for your advice, thanks.
"whats the worst that can happen ?"

they are gonna sue you.


"would people make donations to keep the server up ?
"
personally i would not donate to any pserver.


PNTX is offline  
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/09/2018, 16:56   #3
 
elite*gold: 100
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 83
Received Thanks: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTX View Post
"whats the worst that can happen ?"

they are gonna sue you.


"would people make donations to keep the server up ?
"
personally i would not donate to any pserver.

"they are gonna sue you."
know someone who got problem for hosting ?

"personally i would not donate to any pserver."
not even 1$ ? it's a standalone game btw
[-DarKShooteR-] is offline  
Old 01/09/2018, 17:50   #4

 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,990
Received Thanks: 3,382
Hi,

They will not be able to sue you if you're smart enough to get a good hoster.
And yes, if you make something good, players will donate, not every players but some of them.


NoCheatImPGM is offline  
Thanks
3 Users
Old 01/09/2018, 18:05   #5
 
elite*gold: 100
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 83
Received Thanks: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCheatImPGM View Post
Hi,

They will not be able to sue you if you're smart enough to get a good hoster.
And yes, if you make something good, players will donate, not every players but some of them.
what you mean by good hoster ?
[-DarKShooteR-] is offline  
Old 01/09/2018, 18:30   #6
 
elite*gold: 50
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,826
Received Thanks: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by [-DarKShooteR-] View Post
what you mean by good hoster ?
A Hosting Company in a country with other laws and high privacy standards.

Also the country where the server actually is located counts too
YatoDev is offline  
Thanks
2 Users
Old 01/09/2018, 18:35   #7
 
elite*gold: 100
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 83
Received Thanks: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by YatoDev View Post
A Hosting Company in a country with other laws and high privacy standards.

Also the country where the server actually is located counts too
Are amazon servers good ? or can you refer me some ?
[-DarKShooteR-] is offline  
Old 01/09/2018, 19:39   #8


 
elite*gold: 325
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,046
Received Thanks: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by [-DarKShooteR-] View Post
"they are gonna sue you."
know someone who got problem for hosting ?

"personally i would not donate to any pserver."
not even 1$ ? it's a standalone game btw
know someone who got problem for hosting ?
no. but you asked for the worst case. that is the worst case. (if you use the graphics etc owned by bigpoint.)
PNTX is offline  
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/09/2018, 20:46   #9
 
elite*gold: 27
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Received Thanks: 668
As long you don't make any money with this game you should be fine
lı. IGnoXX .ıl is offline  
Thanks
2 Users
Old 01/09/2018, 20:59   #10
 
elite*gold: 1
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,271
Received Thanks: 1,615
Don't make any money with it, not even donations.

Also you should read this:
Quote:
Unlike academic coursepacks, other copyrighted materials can be used without permission in certain educational circumstances under copyright law or as a fair use. “Fair use” is the right to use portions of copyrighted materials without permission for purposes of education, commentary, or parody.
Sή°wy is offline  
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/09/2018, 21:42   #11
 
elite*gold: 50
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,826
Received Thanks: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by [-DarKShooteR-] View Post
Are amazon servers good ? or can you refer me some ?
did you even read my post?

What do you think which laws apply to amazon? (i guess they comply with any EU or US law)

However i cannot tell you any hosting provider which will be good for your goal but you can use this as a reference

and do not forget that you still need a good network connection and unmanaged servers

EDIT: And of course earning money or accepting donations is a bit complicated. If you in example use paypal then youre obviously targetable
YatoDev is offline  
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/10/2018, 11:36   #12
 
elite*gold: 100
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 83
Received Thanks: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by YatoDev View Post
did you even read my post?

What do you think which laws apply to amazon? (i guess they comply with any EU or US law)

However i cannot tell you any hosting provider which will be good for your goal but you can use this as a reference

and do not forget that you still need a good network connection and unmanaged servers

EDIT: And of course earning money or accepting donations is a bit complicated. If you in example use paypal then youre obviously targetable
Thanks, that was basically what I wanted to learn.☺️
[-DarKShooteR-] is offline  
Old 01/11/2018, 07:35   #13
 
elite*gold: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,480
Received Thanks: 1,058
check out cloudflare reverse proxy.

you have to set up a secure infrastructure. keep your servers ips secret at all costs and redirect every single byte of traffic through your proxies.

ideal scheme
[User] -> User-IP -> [CF-ReverseProxy] -> CFRP-IP -> [your server]
[your server] -> server-ip -> [CFRP] -> CFRP-IP -> [User]

if you did everything right only a few ppl can check out which server and its owner are behind CFRP.


here a list of counties who give a poopie on copyright.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specia...l_designations

oh I forgot the most important point. sry for double

they can track money much easier than bits and bytes.

if you need to gather money for some reason, you should do something you are allowed to. i mean, even if you can manage to perfectly protect your server, if you want donations you need a real world bank account, to be able to use the money.

this is a huge security hole! to be on the safe side, collect donations in bitcoin-currency and find a hoster you can pay with bitcoins. for cloudflare-billigs you should find a "in all term honest person" you can fully trust and give him the money.

needless to say that this could be illegal in some countries.

the point is: technical security is good and needed, but useless if you be sloppy on the income-flow-management.
UND3RW0RLD is offline  
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/11/2018, 23:21   #14
 
elite*gold: 50
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,826
Received Thanks: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by UND3RW0RLD View Post
check out cloudflare reverse proxy.

you have to set up a secure infrastructure. keep your servers ips secret at all costs and redirect every single byte of traffic through your proxies.

ideal scheme
[User] -> User-IP -> [CF-ReverseProxy] -> CFRP-IP -> [your server]
[your server] -> server-ip -> [CFRP] -> CFRP-IP -> [User]

if you did everything right only a few ppl can check out which server and its owner are behind CFRP.
CF reveals owner information and server ip's quite fast.
Domain registrars are also kind of a problem.
But there are a few which are known to do not take down domain names easily.

However there are alternatives. Everywhere.

Also the thread creator maybe do not even want to do such highly illegal stuff that everything needs to be 100% bulletproof ^^

EDIT: Doesn't bitcoin currently fails as a payment method? Due to transactions and so on.
YatoDev is offline  
Old 01/11/2018, 23:37   #15
 
elite*gold: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,480
Received Thanks: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by YatoDev View Post
CF reveals owner information and server ip's quite fast.
Domain registrars are also kind of a problem.
But there are a few which are known to do not take down domain names easily.

However there are alternatives. Everywhere.

Also the thread creator maybe do not even want to do such highly illegal stuff that everything needs to be 100% bulletproof ^^

EDIT: Doesn't bitcoin currently fails as a payment method? Due to transactions and so on.
this just says you need for cf another layer of protection.

getting sued for an illegal gameserver is risky enough imho. 100% bulletproof is not enough. not even enough could ever be enough


UND3RW0RLD is offline  
Reply



« [Collection] 100% Known Server Merge's | Back To The DO »



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:38.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

Support | Contact Us | FAQ | Advertising | Privacy Policy | Abuse
Copyright ©2018 elitepvpers All Rights Reserved.