Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Other Online Games > Browsergames > DarkOrbit
You last visited: Today at 05:39

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Unknown Universe / Classical Darkorbit Reboot 🙊🙈

Old   #31

elite*gold: 0
Received Thanks: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technostar View Post
It looks quite good, but sending and receiving packets plus a simple algorithm is fairly easy.
I am more concerned about performance. Most people know how to code easy-to-read algorithms, but performance is something most programmers do at the very end.
In case of servers this has to be - right after security - the most important thing.

How are you handling the clients ?

best regards,
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil"

Instead of worrying about nonexistent problems, worry about making it work.

Thanks
2 Users
Old   #32

elite*gold: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by manulaiko3.0 View Post
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil"

Instead of worrying about nonexistent problems, worry about making it work.
I dont think that you should worry at all. Making it work is not very hard, it only costs a lot of time.
From my point of view programming clean from the beginning is the best Solution. In case of servers most of them did not have a lack of "not working", but rather a lack of security and performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMANDERBUHMAN View Post
Actually I've put way more effort into performance than I've actually put into easy to read but if coded right it should both be easy to read and solid performance.
I'm handling the clients using a loop and tick each and every one of them per x ms. I didn't bother playing with threads and await but I've used it on a few places. I'll have to do a proper stress test soon to check if everything is as good as I hope it is.
C# provides good features to implement easy to read algorithms, for example with Linq and the new things with C# 6.0, but performance is something not as easy as algorithms. Therefore I am asking you.

So you are having a "MessageFifo" containing for example movement stuff, etc.
Every x ms you clear that loop and send everything to the clients ? Or did I missunderstood that part.
In case of the ms ? Are you using 8ms each or just a random value ?

I am really interested in those things. I used to program my own pserver for friends, but nowadays I rarely have time for software programming ;-)

best regards,

Old   #33

elite*gold: 905
Received Thanks: 2,365
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technostar View Post
I dont think that you should worry at all. Making it work is not very hard, it only costs a lot of time.
From my point of view programming clean from the beginning is the best Solution. In case of servers most of them did not have a lack of "not working", but rather a lack of security and performance.

C# provides good features to implement easy to read algorithms, for example with Linq and the new things with C# 6.0, but performance is something not as easy as algorithms. Therefore I am asking you.

So you are having a "MessageFifo" containing for example movement stuff, etc.
Every x ms you clear that loop and send everything to the clients ? Or did I missunderstood that part.
In case of the ms ? Are you using 8ms each or just a random value ?

I am really interested in those things. I used to program my own pserver for friends, but nowadays I rarely have time for software programming ;-)

best regards,
Hey. It's fast enough when you just do it right. It is even fast when you do it very wrong. Come on, this is not Fortran, you don't need complex algorithms. Some millisecond slowing down for hundred lines of code is pretty acceptable. Even you won't be able to notice the difference.

Anyways, your example is one of the worst ways of handling incoming data on a server with many connections. Data should be concurrent and also it will eventually be pooled. It's more or less the same using it on client side app, you will end up using too many resources and creating a delay between server and client.

What he mean was probably that he accepts a client (a)sync and make a gameloop for attacking and other functions of the game.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #34

@NUMANDERBUHMAN will u let us know when the server is on?

Old   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deppLOL View Post
@NUMANDERBUHMAN will u let us know when the server is on?
Sure, however we've got an issue currently with the VPS and we're unable to continue working until we get a new one.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #36

Thumbs up

Quote:
Sure, however we've got an issue currently with the VPS and we're unable to continue working until we get a new one.
Allright i wish u good luck
Old   #37

Any updates u can tell about?
Old   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by deppLOL View Post
Any updates u can tell about?
Serverwise only.
I've re-ordered some of my stuff which should boost performance and also added a bug tracking system which should help me trace everything to it's core.

Not much left till server is smooth and ready for public beta although it's pretty stable currently.
Only thing stopping me is some unknown error that crashes emulator from times to times.
Thanks
2 Users
Old   #39

no link yet?
Old   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveratus View Post
no link yet?
Why u post on every thread ? every post u do is like 3 words long ? are u post hunting or what ?
Old   #41

That's really good because you have been coding it by yourselves ! I really hope your server will succeed ! Any news about how it is going on ?
Thanks
1 User
Old   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake31 View Post
That's really good because you have been coding it by yourselves ! I really hope your server will succeed ! Any news about how it is going on ?
Well on my side, I've slowed down past few days due to upcoming entry exams but I'll continue right after they finish =)
Old   #43

Update coming soon..
We've moved domain and we're developing now stronger than ever. Previews coming soon..
Thanks
2 Users
Old   #44

Quote:
Update coming soon..
We've moved domain and we're developing now stronger than ever. Previews coming soon..
is there a way to try it or to help you by the way ? ^^
Old   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake31 View Post
is there a way to try it or to help you by the way ? ^^
Few ways, joining the testers team and helping me track down bugs and implement new features quicker although that means to you gotta have some free time. Second way is if you know C# and want to join the dev team and code new stuff with me since my time is sort of limited. If either of these donít fit you, you can support us by following the development progress and sharing it with your friends.