Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Programming
You last visited: Today at 10:20

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

About programming language /?

Discussion on About programming language /? within the CO2 Programming forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
About programming language /?

Well , it may be a stupid question but answer me please !
Forsure there is no one will give his efforts in coding a server away for free !
so i ask is all Mmorpg servers are written in C# ??
Wat about C++ ? I ask about it because i have read a tutorial about it b4 and i understand the basics !!
Wat about Conquer ?
Do u agree me to download a server and start developing it (sure after i learn a language ) !! Or Just start from scratch !
What about hosting it ??
Maybe there are stupid questions for some but at least it's better than Jumping in !!
Old 12/20/2011, 23:17   #2

No they aren't only written in C#. In fact not a lot are, it's just most people in the CO2 community works with C#. You can use any programming language in fact.

C++ is way more efficient than C#, but it also takes longer to master, understand and write your codes in, where you can do it much faster in C#.
Old 12/20/2011, 23:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaussHacker View Post
No they aren't only written in C#. In fact not a lot are, it's just most people in the CO2 community works with C#. You can use any programming language in fact.

C++ is way more efficient than C#, but it also takes longer to master, understand and write your codes in, where you can do it much faster in C#.
I agree with u in that and i think that C++ is harder than C# .
and i think about getting ebook about basics in C#
Old 12/20/2011, 23:54   #4

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,377
There's a few e-books on C# posted on this site if you look around a bit.

Bauss is definitely correct. C++ for efficiency, C# for rapid development/testing in many cases. Conquer servers just happen to be in C# mostly because the first server sources made public happened to be in C#.

There's plenty of Java and C++ conquer sources out there, most just aren't publicly released (there IS a C++ co server source public provided by bone)
Old 12/21/2011, 00:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post

Bauss is definitely correct. C++ for efficiency, C# for rapid development/testing in many cases. Conquer servers just happen to be in C# mostly because the first server sources made public happened to be in C#.

There's plenty of Java and C++ conquer sources out there, most just aren't publicly released (there IS a C++ co server source public provided by bone)
Hybrids 5017 is out there in C++. Then bones as said and I believe Immune started a project once, but it never got anywhere.
Old 12/21/2011, 01:11   #6

Thanks guys i will have a look around it but first finish my statics and mechanics Problems
Old 12/21/2011, 02:36   #7

elite*gold: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladx00 View Post
Wat about C++ ?

Old 12/21/2011, 03:06   #8

Received Thanks: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post

And C++/CLI for an intermediate between the two languages.

There is a public java source? I don't think so. I know some people worked on a java server, but really not a lot and it was never released by memory. I remember that it was sometimes hard to implement the encryption as Java don't have any unsigned type.

Quote:
Hybrids 5017 is out there in C++. Then bones as said and I believe Immune started a project once, but it never got anywhere.
Hum, Hybrids 5017 wasn't in C++/CLI? By memory, when I looked at the source, it wasn't pure C++.

Actually, a lot of people did some work in other languages then C#, but due to the little interest in other languages, it has been kept private. Also, a lot of thing just never go anywhere... I did some basic things for a server in C++, just never really cared about it as CO2 server is less and less important for me... I prefer a language ideal for RAD for CO2 as it will give me more time for more important project in C++. (Sometimes C++/CLI)

Anyway, on topic. I would say that C# is a good choice. I really enjoy the language and mostly everything about CO2 is in C#. Also, I think that a CO server doesn't worth the time it will take to do something really nice in C++ as anyway, the efficiency difference will be really low... The client is really not optimized So, go for C#, it is a nice language to start with as it is managed. Also, when you got more advanced, it still nice as you have some access to unmanaged things.
Old 12/21/2011, 14:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSky View Post

Hum, Hybrids 5017 wasn't in C++/CLI? By memory, when I looked at the source, it wasn't pure C++.
I think it was Inflamed who recoded it to C++.
Old 12/22/2011, 20:13   #10

Well Guys i started to learn C#
and i am looking for project in C# to look at its code to learn !!
Old 12/22/2011, 20:55   #11

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,377
Albetros, hybrids first source, manifesto
Old 12/23/2011, 02:17   #12

elite*gold: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladx00 View Post
Well Guys i started to learn C#
and i am looking for project in C# to look at its code to learn !!
We lost another to the dark side
Thanks
1 User
Old 12/23/2011, 02:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone-you View Post
We lost another to the dark side
Maybe he will learn C/C++ after? Tho chances are very small.
Old 12/23/2011, 22:32   #14

Quote:
Maybe he will learn C/C++ after? Tho chances are very small.
I m not gonna master it easily because i don' t have much free time , i just learn for fun and Knowledge !!
And if i entered Computer science college in my county , I will study C++ Forced
Old 12/24/2011, 11:13   #15

almost all engineering colleges includes c but computer science which got alot of programming language P.S thanks for ur english it can tell where r u from :P