Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Off-Topics > Technical Support
You last visited: Today at 12:52

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

How does Remote desktop work

Discussion on How does Remote desktop work within the Technical Support forum part of the Off-Topics category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
How does Remote desktop work

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out a question, maybe someone can tell me a website or a book that describes in detail How does Remote desktop work? Also, I understand that the RDP software is installed on all Windows computers, or is there an exception? I would be very grateful for help!
Old 06/29/2022, 17:20   #2

Received Thanks: 22,454
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol

????
Old 06/29/2022, 20:43   #3
Der nette Mann

elite*gold: 1810
Received Thanks: 4,500
Arrow Off Topic -> Technical Support

#moved
Old 06/30/2022, 02:24   #4

What exactly do you want to do, connect remotely? All Windows OS computers have RDP server software installed by default, allowing them to accept connection requests without issue. If you need more information, you can look here
Old 07/20/2022, 22:34   #5

to sum it up

1) You open Windows Start Menu (Win 10/11)
2) You type "rdp" and open "Remote Desktop Connection"
3) In the next window you enter the hostname or ip address of the device you want to connect to.
4) If the connection is successful a Window will open up, streaming the remote computer to your device.

Your target machine has to specifically allow rdp requests e. g. can't be blocked by firewall etc. In most IT companies rdp is bread & butter for example if you are on the go with a lightweight laptop but need to work with a heavy tool like AutoCAD.

Although I have never set it up personally I would assume that setting it up for home use is a hassle.

Teamviewer is way more straight-forward choice and completely free.

RDP also requires Windows Professional on the target machine which isn't light on the wallet.