Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 23:03

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

simple question

Discussion on simple question within the SRO Coding Corner forum part of the Silkroad Online category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 2
simple question

to all the good devs here in the sro section and in general,how much maths have you studied(if you did) and how important is it in programming?
Old 04/27/2016, 14:32   #2
dotCom

elite*gold: 12400
The Black Market: 104/0/0
Received Thanks: 4,386
Got my A levels in school, so standard Math skills.
Depends on your application.
Old 04/27/2016, 16:20   #3

elite*gold: 71
Received Thanks: 1,099
You should know the basic every-day math. If advanced math is needed, you'll learn it while you're learning programming. It shouldn't be an issue anyway.
Old 04/27/2016, 21:32   #4

elite*gold: 0
+ - / * % ^ < > = ( )

These are the operators you're gonna need to deal with. If you can use them, Go learn programming. No complicated **** like calculus or algebra (unless you want to write an accounting program for example).
Old 04/28/2016, 07:59   #5

elite*gold: 0
- bitwise operations (AND, OR, NOT, XOR, ..)
- bit shifting (<<, >>)
- Modulo
Old 05/04/2016, 20:49   #6

elite*gold: 28
Received Thanks: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicanoo View Post
+ - / * % ^ < > = ( )

These are the operators you're gonna need to deal with. If you can use them, Go learn programming. No complicated **** like calculus or algebra (unless you want to write an accounting program for example).
I gotta disagree, "IF" he's talking it seriously, as a career or a profession later then he probably needs some decent math skills. You just limited the use of calculus and algebra to statistical applications which isn't true at all, like AT ALL!

-Graphics related topics in general (video processing, image processing, object modeling, audio handling, etc)
-Optimization and complexity analysis.
-And of course, algorithms and their proof, run-time analysis.
All these requires at least some decent calculus knowledge. Algebra as well, very essential for this kind of stuff.

@: If you know the basics and you really want to take this seriously then there's this one book I'd recommend. I haven't finished it yet but it's a great book written by one hell of a computer scientist/mathematician. It's "Concrete Mathematics" by Knuth. It covers a variety of math topics that you might need.