Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Rohan
You last visited: Today at 10:56

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

[Tutorial] Adding starting Items

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[Tutorial] Adding starting Items

Disclaimer

This tutorial is targeted to those that are developing a Rohan private server either for public or personal use and understand how to edit BIN files. If you follow the directions here you should be able to provide your server with starting items. If you make a mistake you can also make your server unusable or worse - your players CLIENTS unusable. It is your responsibility to make a back up anything you edit. I will not accept responsibility for any damage you might cause to your server if you follow these instructions. It is all on you.

I am prompted to write this due to the many times I have seen this done wrong either to push a server out quick or because the developer just didn't know what to do.

When people create rohan servers they try to attract players by providing nice starting items to their players. This can include newbie armor, weapons, scrolls, bags, skill stones and other helpful trinkets.

How do they do that?

There are 2 ways to add starting items to your server - what I think of as a lazy way and a right way.

The lazy way

Inject items via the database into the user's event or item mall inventories (do NOT inject items into the character inventory!) using the dbo.ROHAN_CreateCharacter stored procedure. This method also has the upside in that it is a server-only update.

While easier, this also has the following downsides:

1. You of course need to know SQL.
2. To tailor this to each race requires large blocks of SQL which complicates the stored procedure and complication opens the door to errors.
3. When in the training area the player can not access the Event or Item mall inventories - they are blocked from using these starting items until they exit the training area. In essence this makes the Rohan training area useless unless you expect them to use the basic trash equipment .

Many servers use this method because it is easier and faster to modify a database stored procedure than to follow the right way.

The right way

Rohan servers provide the correct place to do this called the beginitem.bin file. Using this file you can set up the start items tailored to each race being created. Unlike database record injection these appear immediately in the character's inventory.

To edit this file you need either a bin / xsl translation tool or another structured binary editor like structorian. You are on your own to get a tool that suits you.

The records in this file have the following format:

32-bit integer : RACE
32-bit integer : ITEM TYPE
32-bit integer : ITEM COUNT (stacked)

RACES is a bitfield and can be set with the following values

256 : Human
512 : Elf
1024 : Half Elf
2048 : Dhan
4096 : Giant
8192 : Dark Elf
16384 : Halfling
32768 : Dekan

Note that while Halfling is included, no private server implements them. You can leave this out.

Item Type is the same as it is used in the database and other bin files. I am assuming you know what you want to provide to your players before you even touch this file. If you don't stop reading now otherwise you WILL frak up your server.

Standard starting weapons (as was distributed in the various server drops)

Human - sword
Elf - wand
Half Elf - bow + 1000 arrows
Dhan - single dagger
Giant - dual sword
Dark Elf - staff
Halfling - two daggers
Dekan - zhen

Downsides:

There is no 'all races' value that lets you specify an item once and apply it to all races (i.e. you can't put a single record with 20 radiant SES and apply it to all races). You have to duplicate the records for each race. If you are using a bin / xsl converter you can copy and paste as needed using excel - just update the race field for the pasted block.

Also the updated bin file not only needs to be on your server, but it needs to be pushed to your player's clients using your auto-patcher or other means.

Finally each item you add has weight. If things are stored in an Event or item mall inventory you don't need to worry about this. However adding beginning items to a character via the beginitem.bin file makes the weight of these items immediately apply to the character as soon as they start. Be mindful of the total weight of the items you add in this manner otherwise you will find the character cannot split stacked items or even equip more bags if they are grossly over their weight capacity. A good compromise is th put the things a player may need immediately (armor, pet, scrolls, weapon, costumes, rings) in using beginitems.bin. Perhaps add other things that are less necessary such as SES/ASES stones, mounts and pet food in the event inventory. Remember to always test your changes with each race before releasing this kind of change to your running public servers.

Thanks
4 Users
Old   #2

Very well explained.

Old   #3

Please make tutorial to change level cap, two hand weapon option rate, hero skill ...