Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Coders Den > .NET Languages
You last visited: Today at 01:57

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Is VB usefull?

Discussion on Is VB usefull? within the .NET Languages forum part of the Coders Den category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 22
Is VB usefull?

Hi, ive been questioning if VB.Net is usefull.
Im going to learn it and i wanna get an idea what kind of projects i could learn with it, seems worst language at pratices but i know there's some reason for people keep using it.
Thanks in advance!
Old 09/13/2016, 17:47   #2

elite*gold: 0
Basically you can do everything with VB.Net, starting at developing small macros, to information management software, to games using DX or OGL.

It's also a pretty modern language, it supports many new and easy language features like lambda expressions.

VB is only limited due to the technical limitations of the CLR, so its pretty hard to develop for *nix systems using VB. Also the target device needs the the CLR installed.

All in all VB is like C#, just with a different syntax.

So if you want to create a project (on windows), you can do it in VB.
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/13/2016, 19:14   #3

Atm im currently using C# as it is my fav language and the only one i wanna learn fully for now, but in IT course im going to start learning vb so i wanna know if is it worth or nah xd because the syntax are so weird
Old 09/13/2016, 19:45   #4

Well all in all C# and VB aren't that different, so with your knowledge of C# it won't be that hard to switch to VB for your course. But if you prefer C# stick to it, its also more common than VB.
Old 09/13/2016, 20:40   #5

I wanna stick, but ppl keeps saying vb is good and i dont find a real reason. Probably its good for proxy server or make something in commands, but as i worked already with c# i think c# is much better in performance and more easir to make algoriths
Old 09/13/2016, 21:06   #6

elite*gold: 50
Received Thanks: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxynear View Post
I wanna stick, but ppl keeps saying vb is good and i dont find a real reason. Probably its good for proxy server or make something in commands, but as i worked already with c# i think c# is much better in performance and more easir to make algoriths
C# and VB.Net can do exactly the same.

I bet the c# compilers are smarter and the code will run better.

You should forget about vb.net and keep c#.

All the points youre mentioned are the same effort in c# and vb.

There is no real big difference besides the syntax and the creepy VisualBasic namespace
Thanks
2 Users
Old 09/13/2016, 22:18   #7

I die watching For looping in C#, its like worst than pascal, cuz if you open a if you need to end it, the same to subs and mains wtf is that, theres no point.
Yes im sticking on c# but for IT course i need to learn VB to aswell iam just gathering ideas for what vb is usefull
Old 09/14/2016, 00:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxynear View Post
I die watching For looping in C#, its like worst than pascal, cuz if you open a if you need to end it, the same to subs and mains wtf is that, theres no point.
Yes im sticking on c# but for IT course i need to learn VB to aswell iam just gathering ideas for what vb is usefull
I don't understand your first statement, but as mentionedVB is nearly the same as C#. VB was more or less the typical Microsoft Windows language until early to mid 2000 when Microsoft launched .Net and C#, and it became more popular. There are still a lot of programmers out there who prefer the Basic syntax, also is VB.Net partly backwards compatible to VB6. This is the reason why Microsoft keeps those two pretty similar Languages developing both parallel.
Its more or less just, C# for the ones who prefer the C Syntax style, VB for those who prefer the Basic Syntax style and to make switching from VB6 to .Net easy.

There are some other minor differences between VB and C# (like unmanaged code) but all in all thats it. So everything you can do in C# is as easy to do in VB
Old 09/14/2016, 01:37   #9

Ive been looking around and basic cant load dlls right?
Old 09/14/2016, 01:51   #10

elite*gold: 100
Received Thanks: 1,361
As already stated
Quote:
Originally Posted by »FlutterShy™ View Post
C# and VB.Net can do exactly the same.
The only difference I remember is the existence of the My-namespace for VB. C# does not have that one, AFAIR. Aside from that, both have full access to the .NET Framework. It's just the look of the code.

VB can load Dlls just like C#

Code:
<DllImport("user32.dll", EntryPoint:="GetWindowText")>
Public Function GetWindowText(ByVal hwnd As Integer, ByVal lpString As System.Text.StringBuilder, ByVal cch As Integer) As Integer
End Function
for reference, C#.
Code:
[DllImport("user32.dll", CharSet = CharSet.Auto, SetLastError = true)]
static extern int GetWindowText(IntPtr hWnd, StringBuilder lpString, int nMaxCount);
A little ugly that you have to write End Function afterwards, but thats how VB is designed.

Is it useful?
Sure. Due to .NET, its very powerful. The question is, why would you learn two syntactically different .NET Languages?
Old 09/14/2016, 08:30   #11

The Black Market: 259/0/0
Received Thanks: 3,604
For more information visit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ual_Basic_.NET
Old 09/14/2016, 12:16   #12

Idk because the syntax of VB seems like a train, where you just make void _subName() and open it, you need on VB to do more than just this. It sucks, the same to a simple for or foreach thats why im not sure if is worth.
Old 09/14/2016, 13:49   #13

elite*gold: 100
Received Thanks: 1,361
Many people like the "wordy" VB-syntax. No braces, no colons. Simple to read, simple to write. But yes, compared to C, VB has a lot of additional syntax.

Since you seem to dislike the VB-syntax and you already know a .NET-language (C#), it's not worth to learn.
Old 09/14/2016, 17:02   #14

Im obligated probably for the last Project on this year in course, holy moly. Im probably the person that hates VB alot, because syntax is so weird and its not easy to undesrtand like c++ or c#