Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Guild Wars > GW Bots
You last visited: Today at 09:15

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Where to learn to code bots for GW

Discussion on Where to learn to code bots for GW within the GW Bots forum part of the Guild Wars category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Where to learn to code bots for GW

Hello everyone,

I'd like to learn to code bots for GW. I don't really know where to start, i found this topic : in german, and i unfortunately don't speak any german.

I used google translate, and it seems a bit too advanced for my knowledge in code. I know basic algorythmic, and started to learn C# (mostly theoric, i didn't had much time to use it).

Do you guys have any good learning posts/ websites in english/french ?

Thanks !
Old 06/18/2020, 02:05   #2

If your serious about learning to code bots... you have found a good starting point! Read every post in this Guildwars forum for the next six months and stay tuned! when you have extra time read through some older threads - ask questions, get envolved - copy and paste a lot for the first three months... debug your code and you will start to progress... ask questions a lot! Discord chat someone who will help you! The reward is well worth the work! Most importantly have fun!
Thanks
1 User
Old 06/18/2020, 17:34   #3

Thanks for that hints, i am trying the same since some weeks.

Just trying some bots, reading the source code and try to understand.
I have several experience in html and php. But this is new for me.

Is there some Information about the basics? And as i understood gwa2 is a set of tools, that make autoit able to run special guildwars commands, right?

So its part of all bots and the functions are used in the bots?
Old 06/19/2020, 00:13   #4

The basic idea of all bots at least for games tend to be sequential or event driven. Most of the gwa2 bots lean more towards the sequential with some state like behavior. Example one shows the simplest idea such as a macro that presses the c key waits 1 minute then presses the x key etc. It is 100% sequential and also the easiest to build.

Code:
while(running)
{
	//action 1
	//action 2
	//action 3
	//action 4
	//action n..
}
The second loop is a state machine or event driven style bot. These aren't very common in guild wars as the game is relatively static.

Code:
while(running)
{
	//loading available information
	//Transition to state potentially substates of previous state
	//process state
}
The limiting factor of both of these bots tend to be your possible information you are able to procure from the game process and possible actions. A macro only bot is going to only be able to go by pixel color, timing, and other simplistic information for the actions.

While a more complex API like gwa2 allows direct memory reading of game statistics and actions that may be too complex for a simple macro.

The first question on making bots you need to decide upon is do you want to learn to script a bot for a framework such as gwa2 or do you want to build an API engine like gwa2? If its the first that is far simpler and can be learned from looking at premade scripts on this site. The other will take quite a lot of developer knowledge to piece together over time.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/19/2021, 01:33   #5

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by list comprehension View Post
The basic idea of all bots at least for games tend to be sequential or event driven. Most of the gwa2 bots lean more towards the sequential with some state like behavior. Example one shows the simplest idea such as a macro that presses the c key waits 1 minute then presses the x key etc. It is 100% sequential and also the easiest to build.

Code:
while(running)
{
	//action 1
	//action 2
	//action 3
	//action 4
	//action n..
}
The second loop is a state machine or event driven style bot. These aren't very common in guild wars as the game is relatively static.

Code:
while(running)
{
	//loading available information
	//Transition to state potentially substates of previous state
	//process state
}
The limiting factor of both of these bots tend to be your possible information you are able to procure from the game process and possible actions. A macro only bot is going to only be able to go by pixel color, timing, and other simplistic information for the actions.

While a more complex API like gwa2 allows direct memory reading of game statistics and actions that may be too complex for a simple macro.

The first question on making bots you need to decide upon is do you want to learn to script a bot for a framework such as gwa2 or do you want to build an API engine like gwa2? If its the first that is far simpler and can be learned from looking at premade scripts on this site. The other will take quite a lot of developer knowledge to piece together over time.
With this being said should i take a look into the GWA2 for commands and functions? What id like to do just for the shear simplicity is make a Iris flower farmer.

Step one: make sure in ashford abbey, if not map there.
Step two: move towards portal, exit portal
Step three: move to x, scan for iris flower.
Step four:Locate iris flower, move towards it
Step fiveick up flower
Step six: map back
Step seven: loop
Old 01/19/2021, 14:52   #6

I'd suggest just looking at one bot that you may have, and study the code. Rather than looking at the GWA2 File, and the many functions that are in it, look at what your bot uses. If you find a function that isn't being declared in your bots file, then lookup the function in the GWA2 File.

You'll most likely see a GUI Region for the End User, the main While Loop that is running the bot, and the many functions that are called somewhere within that loop, or called from a function of a function (of another function, etc.) that's listed in that loop.

Although it may take the mentioned 6 months to become a more in depth developer, a lot of the stuff in these bots are pretty basic, since the GWA2 file already exists for you. You should have a pretty good/basic understanding within a couple-few weeks.

As with any code, refer to the documentation if you're actually wanting to learn what particular syntax does. For most cases, if you're using public bots, you'll most likely be referring to the autoIt Documentation - Google is your friend.

In addition, write your own comment lines in the code. One should be able to understand the flow of the program by reading the comments.
Old 01/19/2021, 23:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakysnoops View Post
I'd suggest just looking at one bot that you may have, and study the code. Rather than looking at the GWA2 File, and the many functions that are in it, look at what your bot uses. If you find a function that isn't being declared in your bots file, then lookup the function in the GWA2 File.

You'll most likely see a GUI Region for the End User, the main While Loop that is running the bot, and the many functions that are called somewhere within that loop, or called from a function of a function (of another function, etc.) that's listed in that loop.

Although it may take the mentioned 6 months to become a more in depth developer, a lot of the stuff in these bots are pretty basic, since the GWA2 file already exists for you. You should have a pretty good/basic understanding within a couple-few weeks.

As with any code, refer to the documentation if you're actually wanting to learn what particular syntax does. For most cases, if you're using public bots, you'll most likely be referring to the autoIt Documentation - Google is your friend.

In addition, write your own comment lines in the code. One should be able to understand the flow of the program by reading the comments.
Thank you i am working on that simple flower farmer....i know what i want it to do but i dont know how to start it.....how do i check and make sure i am in the correct map?