Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Coders Den > General Coding
You last visited: Today at 04:37

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

What should I use and learn to get it done.

Discussion on What should I use and learn to get it done. within the General Coding forum part of the Coders Den category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Strategie game development

Hi,

ihr könnt auch in deutsch antworten

I wanna learn programming a strategie game like age of empires or command and conquer cause I'm missing games like that. I know that I have to spend mutch time into it. But atm I dosnt really know what I should use to program a game like this.

Should I try to learn unity and c++ or only c++ and building it up from the scratch or even an totally other way to do it.

I knowing the basic in coding and I'm not even advanced what I have to be for it and what I want to be. And what should I use to get the textures and units done.

A little bit more about me. I already programmed little tools in autoit, batch and PowerShell. I study informatics and wanna learn!
Thank you for your response, best regards,
Md88
Old 02/23/2018, 17:49   #2

If you want to get good results fast, use the Starcraft 2 map editor, it’s the easiest way to build a strategy game and can give you astonishing results. Otherwise you could try Unity game engine (C#)
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/23/2018, 19:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfley View Post
If you want to get good results fast, use the Starcraft 2 map editor, it’s the easiest way to build a strategy game and can give you astonishing results. Otherwise you could try Unity game engine (C#)
Thank you for ur time and for your answers. The starcraft 2 map editor isn't that what I'm looking for, I wanna create/program my own units, my own resources and stuff. I will take a look at the unity game engine.

Has someone some other hinds or idea's?
Old 02/23/2018, 19:50   #4

Unity and C# is probably the easiest way. Big community, lots of free assets to get started quickly.
As an alternative: maybe Amazon Lumberyard meets your requirements:
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/23/2018, 19:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by md88 View Post
Thank you for ur time and for your answers. The starcraft 2 map editor isn't that what I'm looking for, I wanna create/program my own units, my own resources and stuff. I will take a look at the unity game engine.

Has someone some other hinds or idea's?
Starcraft twos map editor is pretty powerful. You can create everything you like with it. For example some dude rebuilt the first few levels of Diablo 1 completely with this map editor (with all the maps, items, skills, characters, dialogs, etc). There are also some shooters and RPGS built with this (even though the engine is made for RTS, the FPS have usually either low graphics or a shitty performance). A few years ago some dude rebuilt command and conquer red alert within the engine.

But I think the best example for the power of this map editor is the arcade game Lost Vikings, a top down shooter implemented as an easteregg in SC2
So you are not restricted at all to using SC resources, units or even gameplay, if you'd like you could rebuilt call of duty in SC2 (even though the performance would suck)

The good thing about this engine is that you have a big community thirsting for new RTS games (SC2 is the last modern one) and are willing to test it for you, and secondly you can implement SC2 AI for your new game. Also it is way easier than using a general purpose engine like unity, and also the SC2 engine is probably the best RTS engine available (so you don't have to think about performance when a thousand units have to move at once which I guess will be the hardest using a non RTS specialized engine).

The only drawback is that this game requires SC2. But my advice would be to start your game with SC2, and when you have a running prototype that is fun you can think about creating your own game for this.
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/24/2018, 11:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfley View Post
Starcraft twos map editor is pretty powerful. You can create everything you like with it. For example some dude rebuilt the first few levels of Diablo 1 completely with this map editor (with all the maps, items, skills, characters, dialogs, etc). There are also some shooters and RPGS built with this (even though the engine is made for RTS, the FPS have usually either low graphics or a ****** performance). A few years ago some dude rebuilt command and conquer red alert within the engine.

But I think the best example for the power of this map editor is the arcade game Lost Vikings, a top down shooter implemented as an easteregg in SC2 .
So you are not restricted at all to using SC resources, units or even gameplay, if you'd like you could rebuilt call of duty in SC2 (even though the performance would suck)

The good thing about this engine is that you have a big community thirsting for new RTS games (SC2 is the last modern one) and are willing to test it for you, and secondly you can implement SC2 AI for your new game. Also it is way easier than using a general purpose engine like unity, and also the SC2 engine is probably the best RTS engine available (so you don't have to think about performance when a thousand units have to move at once which I guess will be the hardest using a non RTS specialized engine).

The only drawback is that this game requires SC2. But my advice would be to start your game with SC2, and when you have a running prototype that is fun you can think about creating your own game for this.
Thanks buddy, huge thanks!