Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2
You last visited: Today at 15:08

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

wondering why

Discussion on wondering why within the Conquer Online 2 forum part of the MMORPGs category.

Old 11/11/2005, 12:07   #16

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by bobbydole+Nov 11 2005, 07:13--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bobbydole @ Nov 11 2005, 07:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by -shinichikudo@Nov 10 2005, 03:50
Quote:
Originally posted by -bobbydole@Nov 10 2005, 03:33
Quote:
Originally posted by -anticlownn@Nov 9 2005, 01:47
<!--QuoteBegin--unknownone
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Nov 8 2005, 06:06
Well, unless you can hack into official servers, the only way to get 'copies' of server files is to guess how they work, and program new files based on your assumptions.

bah, I should hack right into their data base, you think they have any firewalls...

do it. o and one more question, does anyone know how big of a server one would have to possess in order to run a private server for this game?

according to fchen at this post : . Each of the server are running on a Dual xeon 2.8G, 2G RAM, 3x36G SCSI HD
yea well thats a pretty big server (which they need to support all the players) anyone know how big of a server that Quonquer was/is on? [/b][/quote]
wow the HD is quite small even for SCSI

Those servers go for around &#036;250-300 a month so its quite cheap for TQ to keep those servers up and running.

25x300=&#036;7,500 a month only

300,000Players lets say each buys 1 db code a day pack of 2 every month. (yeah not everyone buys db codes but all those bulk packs add up for every player)

7.99x300,000=&#036;2,397,000monthly

Fchen states that he only has 20[Gms] why doesn't he hire more 20gms for what 25servers thats not even one for every server I guess hes all about makin money.

&#036;2,397,000-7500/20=&#036;119,475 for each person a month.

Now you think they make tons but they but a little effort into supporting us? Its true they can't handle everything but they could hire more people.

Also 300,000/25=12,000Players per server on average some has more some has a lil less. Now for those server specs i don't think it can handle 12k players on average about 2-3k play at a time but from those server specs it should be only to handle 300-500people maximum so they should start workin on there servers.

Don't think i'm retarded i run my own webhost :P
Old 11/11/2005, 13:19   #17

it's not really possible to predict the limits without knowing how well or badly the server software is coded. A well coded network application can handle thousands of connections on a minimal spec machine. But judging from the poor coding used in the client I don't think the official server code would be much better. Plus they run on windows which is a lot heaier on memory and CPU usage on the tcp/ip stack than a unix based platform.

The regular server maintenance is probably neccessary in order to defrag the server's memory as well as the item unique ids which would run out in less than a year without some kind of defragging.

It is clear that the official servers are overloaded at times, and there is no player count, so we don't really know for sure. But my estimates would be in agreement with Issac there.
Old 11/12/2005, 01:41   #18

don't forget the servers are in california so they probably have to pay for the host too and for someone to dust them off once in a while
Old 11/12/2005, 05:19   #19

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,252
BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION
Q.How big is the server?

A.The server size depends a lot on the ammount of people. And I think that they host about 1-3 servers for accounts, because the other servers, 25 handle the actual game events, per server. But the server files without the accounts might only be around 200MB-1 GIG. But my estimate is around 350MB. Remember they also run on chinese windows which is probbably crappier then normal windows lol.

I had some official servers that were actually hacked of a company, and the server license costs &#036;50,000 and &#036;2,000 for maintnace. And the server files unpacked were only 250MB.
Old 11/12/2005, 07:16   #20

hmm so what if the 'server' files were put on a desktop with 2gb of ram, a 40gb hd and dual xeon processors. do you think that it would run cause servers are pretty expensive to buy. from what i have reasearched servers of that size are like a couple of k. and if it is on a server is it necessary to have a license or can u run one without it.