Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 15:48

  • Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!


[Development] 5517 PVP Source

Discussion on [Development] 5517 PVP Source within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Reply
 
Old 03/14/2012, 00:35   #16
 
elite*gold: 28
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,215
Received Thanks: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
Personal preference resulting in poor performance and security flaws makes your choices poor, sorry that's just a fact - it has nothing to do with my opinion.
There isnt a performace gain in splitting them afaik, Security issue, if nothing its more secure ;O

Please elaborate



_DreadNought_ is offline  
Old 03/14/2012, 07:15   #17
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,537
Received Thanks: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DreadNought_ View Post
afaik your auth and gameserver arent split, so shh.
Mine are split lol, just not hosted on two servers.


I don't have a username is offline  
Old 03/14/2012, 09:21   #18
 
elite*gold: 20
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,124
Received Thanks: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DreadNought_ View Post
There isnt a performace gain in splitting them afaik, Security issue, if nothing its more secure ;O

Please elaborate
Theres a performance gain from using a managed database over a flatfile database, and there are security issues with keeping them as 1 application, namely that its MUCH easier to flood and crash both auth and game servers.
Korvacs is offline  
Old 03/14/2012, 17:36   #19
 
elite*gold: 28
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,215
Received Thanks: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
Theres a performance gain from using a managed database over a flatfile database, and there are security issues with keeping them as 1 application, namely that its MUCH easier to flood and crash both auth and game servers.
Sorry I confused myself, It was roughly 4am when I typed that response, You are right there most certiantly is a performance gain from using a managed DB over a flatfile DB, I do agree, Should I ever make this source into a fully functional server, Upgrades to MySQL will be added and applied within a day, its not a problem.

Right right, You didnt go in depth as for security flaws into keeping them as one application, flooding I do agree, but if the auth server gets flooded, nobody can login, but the game server stays alive, if the game server get crashed the auth server is uesless.

Keeping them as one will most likely cause both to crash should one get crashed, but even if theyre split, no point having a gameserver up if the authserver is dead, and no point having a authserver up if the gameserver is dead.

Forgot to update the main post, I'll do it later, working on screening right now, have a few issues.

Basic chatting is now done(Talk and world) Screening is almost complete(as I said, a couple spawning issues), Walk/Jumping is done, including steed walking(tested the coord calculations on an old source, I know it works, will double check when I get to the steed stage) I am to complete spawning today, NPCs, Actions, Changing directions etc.

Regards,
Dread


_DreadNought_ is offline  
Old 03/14/2012, 18:48   #20
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,537
Received Thanks: 785
As for database, I would recommend Mssql, but that's because I like it better than Mysql, I never used mssql in the source I did, tho my new source will have full mssql wrapper, if you want to take a look on it, I'll let you. Flatfile is sure fast and everything, until you get a lot of players and want to save/load on cross of each other, it will be pretty slow with a lot of files and such. It's most likely a lazy issue to go with them :P

As for splitting them you could make sure one is never closed permanent (Unless it's down, because of flood lol.) by doing a process check, if the one is closed, then open it and the other way around, if you get me.
I don't have a username is offline  
Old 03/14/2012, 19:00   #21
 
elite*gold: 20
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,124
Received Thanks: 2,505
Keeping them separate has other advantages security-wise depends how determined you are really, potentially if your auth/game server went down you could have redundant servers to replace them, if they were split this would be much simpler to manage.

Not to mention the possibility of having 50 game servers in a cluster acting as a single game server. Now that would be the embodiment of redundancy.
Korvacs is offline  
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/15/2012, 23:50   #22
 
elite*gold: 28
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,215
Received Thanks: 864
Main post updated.

Progress:
16/13/2012-03:55am
Next to do: Items! Equipment and Inventory saving/loading!

Expected to be done by: ~2Days(Probably sometime tomorrow near midnight or early Saturday morning -- Got too much time on my hands)

#edit
Just noticed my message colours dont work for me, and not for Jose either, has anybody else patch 5517+ managed to get the colours of messages working?
_DreadNought_ is offline  
Old 03/16/2012, 07:57   #23
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 390
Received Thanks: 320
Aside from what Korvacs has already mentioned, the server is pretty much just another low-performance server that will be abandoned in less than two weeks, even after you switch to MySQL, that is if you even made the transition correctly without losing control over the source code. Everyone keeps doing the EXACT same mistake over and over.

IMHO, from personal experience, every single project that wasn't designed correctly beforehand and implemented by the rules set in the design eventually causes its developers to crack and abandon it. This is exactly the reason why CPX didn't make it, Ali and I rushed through it because we were too enthusiastic about it. However, as expected, it started to rot and after a while it would take me at least 10 minutes of skimming through the source code to find what I'm looking for.

To sum it all up, entropy simply arises when it comes to software engineering, you ARE going to lose control after a while, and then again it's another abandoned project. Actually take your time to design the system as a whole first keeping in mind the limitations set by the language and the libraries available, then start working on it.
Nullable is offline  
Thanks
2 Users
Old 03/16/2012, 17:50   #24
 
elite*gold: 28
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,215
Received Thanks: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullable View Post
Aside from what Korvacs has already mentioned, the server is pretty much just another low-performance server that will be abandoned in less than two weeks, even after you switch to MySQL, that is if you even made the transition correctly without losing control over the source code. Everyone keeps doing the EXACT same mistake over and over.

IMHO, from personal experience, every single project that wasn't designed correctly beforehand and implemented by the rules set in the design eventually causes its developers to crack and abandon it. This is exactly the reason why CPX didn't make it, Ali and I rushed through it because we were too enthusiastic about it. However, as expected, it started to rot and after a while it would take me at least 10 minutes of skimming through the source code to find what I'm looking for.

To sum it all up, entropy simply arises when it comes to software engineering, you ARE going to lose control after a while, and then again it's another abandoned project. Actually take your time to design the system as a whole first keeping in mind the limitations set by the language and the libraries available, then start working on it.
If my database options are so incredibly poor(which seems to be your main point) why would one of the best(imo) coders in the entire co2 community use it? Everybody who creates a source has to adapt it later on for one reason or another, whether it be removing, changing or adding something, I simply said should it be required that a database upgrade is required I will step up to mark and implement that, My source is incredibly organized thank you very much.

But I do appericate your criticism, thanks.

Going to start on Items and inventory now..

#edit
Oh and, if you think i've rushed it as ive made that much progress in such short time, I've been coding from around 3pm to 5am almost everyday.
_DreadNought_ is offline  
Old 03/16/2012, 18:05   #25
 
elite*gold: 20
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 945
Received Thanks: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DreadNought_ View Post
#edit
Oh and, if you think i've rushed it as ive made that much progress in such short time, I've been coding from around 3pm to 5am almost everyday.
/Commited
hunterman01 is offline  
Old 03/16/2012, 18:20   #26
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,310
Received Thanks: 1,370
ok ok ok ladies.

From my expierence with AcidCO, it was initially created with a flat file system, and i personally found that performance was ALOT faster using flatfile systems. how ever i then moved it to mysql (why? you might ask) the reason being, flat file is fast and everything but its very difficult to manage and maintain, say i wanted to update a certian value over all players, i would probably have to write a batch script or small application to go through each players file and update that file. However mysql being a SQL engine i could easilly update all players with 1 query.

So my conclusion: Flatfile > mysql with performance
Mysql > flatfile for maintaining.

Regards

Ulti.
Ultimation is offline  
Thanks
4 Users
Old 03/16/2012, 18:45   #27
Moderator

 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,046
Received Thanks: 710
MySQL is a flatfile database too. If you don`t use the .NET Connector, the performance is way better as well.
KraHen is offline  
Old 03/16/2012, 19:35   #28
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,310
Received Thanks: 1,370
agreed
Ultimation is offline  
Old 03/16/2012, 19:54   #29
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 390
Received Thanks: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DreadNought_ View Post
If my database options are so incredibly poor(which seems to be your main point) why would one of the best(imo) coders in the entire co2 community use it? Everybody who creates a source has to adapt it later on for one reason or another, whether it be removing, changing or adding something, I simply said should it be required that a database upgrade is required I will step up to mark and implement that
You're totally missing my point. I'm not talking about advantages/disadvantages of choosing a technology over another. Practically speaking the only VALID answer to such a problem is... it depends on the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DreadNought_ View Post
My source is incredibly organized thank you very much.
Keep trying to convince yourself that.


How do you define organization? Actually, let me rephrase that question into a statement, just to put the message out there.
If your server contains a Kernel/Core/Whatever "God" class; you're fucked, gg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DreadNought_ View Post
Oh and, if you think i've rushed it as ive made that much progress in such short time, I've been coding from around 3pm to 5am almost everyday.
Alright, hats off for your hard work and dedication, and realize that I'm simply throwing some pieces of advice your way. Whether you accept them or not is your problem, not mine. Good luck.


P.S: Software design, GoF Design Patterns
Nullable is offline  
Old 03/16/2012, 21:33   #30
 
elite*gold: 28
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,215
Received Thanks: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullable View Post
You're totally missing my point. I'm not talking about advantages/disadvantages of choosing a technology over another. Practically speaking the only VALID answer to such a problem is... it depends on the problem.


Keep trying to convince yourself that.


How do you define organization? Actually, let me rephrase that question into a statement, just to put the message out there.
If your server contains a Kernel/Core/Whatever "***" class; you're ******, gg.
Organiztion is different for every person; One source someone can think is the most organized thing in the world, others can thinks its a diaster.


Alright, hats off for your hard work and dedication, and realize that I'm simply throwing some pieces of advice your way. Whether you accept them or not is your problem, not mine. Good luck.Thank you and thankyou.


P.S: Software design, GoF Design Patterns
I'll check those links out.


_DreadNought_ is offline  
Reply



« How can i see players ip adress ? | client keeps opening site(help) »

Similar Threads
help me source 5517 plz :(
10/20/2012 - CO2 Private Server - 11 Replies
http://img5.pimp-my-profile.com/i57/5/9/30/f_a9b54 b44b2ca.jpg hello need help with that mistake a person who knows how repair it if you could tell me how to fix it I will appreciate endlessly only error is that I Please ask him to give me help with that 58 errors and error screen time GameState.cs 842 help me plz :(
Auto CP in Albetros Source 5517
05/07/2012 - CO2 Private Server - 15 Replies
Okay so im alittle confused...I tryed changing so many settings and yet have to find the right one i cant seem to get the monsters to give cps. I went into monster.cs and i thought i found it but what i did there didnt work ether if anyone can help me id appreciate it. Im not asking to give me the answer im asking to help me point me in the right direction.
SOURCE 5517 SHUTDOWN
12/21/2011 - CO2 Private Server - 5 Replies
----Exception message---- Source array was not long enough. Check srcIndex and length, and the array's lower bounds. ----End of exception message---- ----Stack trace---- at System.Array.Copy(Array sourceArray, Int32 sourceIndex, Array destinationArray, Int32 destinationIndex, Int32 length, Boolean reliable) at System.Collections.Generic.Queue`1.SetCapacity(Int 32 capacity) at System.Collections.Generic.Queue`1.Enqueue(T item) at...
Source 5517+ Problem critics
09/21/2011 - CO2 Private Server - 2 Replies
Good for all The server I'm using is 5517 + eragon and my problem is that when going from 10 to 15 online the server shuts down info + enter here kanasai not Lucky7 that's my only problem for now Help xD http://s3.subirimagenes.com:81/fondosycapturas/pr evio/thump_6936303nueva-imagen-de-mapa.jpg
a question about trinity 5517 source
09/18/2011 - CO2 Private Server - 3 Replies
Sometimes ,i can't saw another player when the player didn't jump didn't walk ,only sit in a coord or player away!!! but the another player can saw me .... where the error occurred ??? any one fix there ? source Link:source and database.rar



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:48.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

BTC: 3KeUpz52VCbhmLwuwydqxu6U1xsgbT8YT5
ETH: 0xc6ec801B7563A4376751F33b0573308aDa611E05

Support | Contact Us | FAQ | Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Abuse
Copyright ©2019 elitepvpers All Rights Reserved.