Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 00:35

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Will this help me to get better at coding for server sources?

Discussion on Will this help me to get better at coding for server sources? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Will this help me to get better at coding for server sources?

Note: I did not say, will this help me get better at coding, I asked if this will help me get better at coding server sources. There is a difference.

I had an idea... and that was to download a Conquer 1.0 source, and then a really good later source (as coding techniques have since improved since Conquer 1.0) and basically use the newer and better coding techniques to re-write that 1.0 source. After that, I would then use that newly re-written source and slowly start upgrading it with features from the new sources. Once I got to, oh let's say I upgraded the re-written source to 5165 or so, I would then re-write the 1.0 source from scratch using all the information I had learned since, but without any help.

Does anyone think this would help me out at all? Tell me why or why not in the responses please!
Old 02/10/2012, 02:30   #2

elite*gold: 20
Hate to rain on the parade BUT:

The Conquer 1.0 source came after a lot of Conquer 2.0 sources were released.

Very first public Conquer sources are centered around patch 434x - 435x & others are 5000-5017 and so on.

Also, a newer patch number DOES NOT mean better techniques are implemented. It comes down to the knowledge the coder has at the time the source is built and whatever patch they have decided to build it on.

edit: A good example of what is consider a "bad" source is LOTF v2 (v5017). What is considered a "good" starter source is Infamous' v5017 base; mind you - that "base" has nothing in it but it is better coded and structured for what it does have. It really depends on where the code came from originally.
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/10/2012, 02:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterX View Post
Hate to rain on the parade BUT:

The Conquer 1.0 source came after a lot of Conquer 2.0 sources were released.

Very first public Conquer sources are centered around patch 434x - 435x & others are 5000-5017 and so on.

Also, a newer patch number DOES NOT mean better techniques are implemented.
I'm really sorry but that doesn't help me one bit. =/ I'd appreciate it if you either made a new post or edited that one that would help me out more because Impulse has a 5165 that has very good techniques in place, as well as Hybrid having a higher patch with good techniques in place. I'm sure that both of those were coded after the 1.0 ones were... I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/10/2012, 02:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlackPlagu3x View Post
I'm really sorry but that doesn't help me one bit. =/ I'd appreciate it if you either made a new post or edited that one that would help me out more because Impulse has a 5165 that has very good techniques in place, as well as Hybrid having a higher patch with good techniques in place. I'm sure that both of those were coded after the 1.0 ones were... I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
I did edit the post, however, no.

Conquer 1.0 might have "gone away" in November 2005, but popularity of Conquer Private Servers did not start taking off until 2006-2008 which is CO2.0.
It wasn't until 2009-2010 when people started crying for Conquer 1.0 and thus, the community produced packets for a Conquer 1.0 client version...in addition to TQ bringing back a botched release of "CO Classic".
Old 02/10/2012, 02:37   #5

I agree with your idea.

making your way up the "food-chain" sounds like a reasonable way to build a somewhat "great" server.

I suggest impulses's 5165 base as a starter for example, I used it as a base a while back and it was highly efficient =).
Old 02/10/2012, 02:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by killersub View Post
I agree with your idea.

making your way up the "food-chain" sounds like a reasonable way to build a somewhat "great" server.

I suggest impulses's 5165 base as a starter for example, I used it as a base a while back and it was highly efficient =).
No. You can't automatically assume that just because a source is built for X patch, that makes it automatically older than the other sources available!

LOTF v5016 (released in 2008) is absolute **** by today's standards, yet even though it still wasn't regarded as the best in 2008, was treated like the holy grail of all public CO Sources.

RedemptionCO, released last year, is a Conquer 1.0 source that is so much better built than LOTF v2/patch 5016 ever will be.

You can't look at it by Patch Number, but by DATE OF RELEASE / DATE OF DEVELOPMENT at the VERY LEAST!
Thanks
6 Users
Old 02/10/2012, 03:06   #7

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,115
I was just about to recommend RedemptionCO's source as well. It reminds me of Project Kibou in some way (but without the stupid experimental methods I was trying). It uses structs for the packets kind of like I do but on a more basic level that would be easier for you to understand and learn from. Re-write it progressively (meaning write it in the order that it must of been written in). You know how to debug properly now, and you know how to find references to variables and such... so try that first. Then write a custom source once you're comfortable.
Old 02/10/2012, 12:05   #8

Just saying but the first released private server source; UCCO was based on patch 4312, Conquer 2.0 was released at patch 4282 (source: Fang's blog) in other words, the first source was a Conquer 2.0 source which automatically means that all Conquer 1.0 sources were released after that, in fact, I think the first Conquer 1.0 source was released after CoEmu V2 was released.
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/10/2012, 13:37   #9

Received Thanks: 2,518
At the time of early conquer development keeping upto date was important, it wasnt untill later that people wanted to get back to 1.0, as for the most part the launch of 2.0 was a success.
Old 02/11/2012, 08:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauripan View Post
i really like this source as my reference

fang is there any way i can add soul items on this i have tried benbas but not working i don't know why..
........... gtfo off my thread.

As for everyone else, thank you all! I really hope I learn a lot from this idea and I hope I can make the best 5017 out there someday! (5017 is my fav patch and it is given no respect, so my goal is to give it some!)
Old 02/11/2012, 10:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlackPlagu3x View Post
........... gtfo off my thread.

As for everyone else, thank you all! I really hope I learn a lot from this idea and I hope I can make the best 5017 out there someday! (5017 is my fav patch and it is given no respect, so my goal is to give it some!)
I posted my first "custom" source on another thread if you'd like to use it as a 5017 reference.
Old 02/11/2012, 22:34   #12

Mkay, so here's the revision and basically the game-plan of my idea...

Download the RedemptionCo source since apparently it's appraised.

Open up a new project and title it "Whoknowswhatthisis".

Re-code/copy (not copy/paste, just copy) the source into the new project and try to retain as much information as I can about how it works and in what order.

Use "Whoknowswhatthisis" and then start downloading higher patches and just add their features and upgrades a little at a time while trying to keep the current coding style.

Stop once I get to 5017 or something like that and try to re-do it all again and document it so I have a reference to look at.

Sound good?
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/11/2012, 22:39   #13

Received Thanks: 2,518
No, this sounds like a terrible idea to be perfectly honest.......
Old 02/11/2012, 22:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
No, this sounds like a terrible idea to be perfectly honest.......
I'd really appreciate it that if you have an opinion, that you at least give reason to why you have it. It would really help a lot so that I can take the fastest path I possibly can.
Old 02/11/2012, 22:57   #15

Well, I taught myself the basic style / structure of a server by copying a source, bit by bit, in the way it should be written, but I already knew how a server worked. If you want to learn how servers work, just pick a basic source and read it through. Try to get an understanding of it. Then, when you feel like you can write your own, custom source - do it.