Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 12:08

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Thinking] An Idea

Discussion on [Thinking] An Idea within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

View Poll Results: I'm putting a poll here because a lot of you vote than you comment...
Do it. 38 82.61%
Nobody would read it. 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old   #1

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,115
[Thinking] An Idea

That poll should say "I'm putting a poll here because a lot of you vote more than you comment..."

Hey... so I've been thinking a lot recently about something that's been continually on my mind. I'm starting to finally be myself again (after 5 years). I'm starting to be happy without reason again. =p Anyways, this idea involves that.

I want to possibly start writing a guide on how to make a private server from scratch using proper methods. I would write it in a way that would be lively and easy to understand- try to make it fun to read in some way (maybe by adding comics like seen in my blog to make a point).

What do you think?
It would be patch either 5065 or one of your choice (not current).
Old 07/17/2011, 14:05   #2

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,377
I wrote one ages back just covering basic information and finished all the way up to the start of the game server but there was fairly little interest...

I like the idea and I'd love to see such a thread but I'm not sure how successful it would be in the long run.
Old 07/17/2011, 18:27   #3

elite*gold: 0
It would be cool to make a lot libraries that peoples could import to their project as resources to make their own sources. Been thinking of making such things.
Old 07/17/2011, 20:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaussHacker View Post
It would be cool to make a lot libraries that peoples could import to their project as resources to make their own sources. Been thinking of making such things.
So, it's going to be a "plug and play" project huh?
mk. Sounds good to me. What patch though? I'm still struggling on figuring out a good one to start with (for people). It should have blowfish in it (it's a good medium to start with).

PS: A bbcode for pastebin would be awesome...
Old 07/17/2011, 21:41   #5

here is the thing make a video guide don't waste your time writing codes 80% of the ppl wont understand it , so instead make a video you explaining in all the stuff , so if they didn't understand what are you saying then when they see you typing the codes they will
Old 07/17/2011, 22:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fаng View Post
So, it's going to be a "plug and play" project huh?
mk. Sounds good to me. What patch though? I'm still struggling on figuring out a good one to start with (for people). It should have blowfish in it (it's a good medium to start with).

PS: A bbcode for pastebin would be awesome...
Not patch based, but like you make it works with every patch. That means it should not be like packet structures etc. But simple handlers etc. that can make it easier etc.
Old 07/17/2011, 22:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaussHacker View Post
Not patch based, but like you make it works with every patch. That means it should not be like packet structures etc. But simple handlers etc. that can make it easier etc.
Packets are what make the server run though. I can't ignore them.
Old 07/17/2011, 22:56   #8

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,377
Quote:
Packets are what make the server run though. I can't ignore them.
You could write the source in a completely modular way even possibly loading packet structures from external files on startup.

By doing that you could create it (mostly) patch independent and allow people a wide range of customization options without even needing to touch the source.

Example: Log the most common packets (all game systems, patch dependent features should be separate) and have them load from a external ini or xml file to determine how the packet is structured. Once these are loaded into the source they can be handled by the actual systems... which again could be written in a modular format if need be (although most likely NOT external)

A well organized and documented base built like this would be a very interesting thing for the community.

Alternatively a ConquerServer.dll would be quite interesting.

Load it up with anything a server creator could want such as...

-Encryption methods
-Socket systems (multiple options with documentation on each kind)
-Map system(s)
-Database system(s)

That way users can still design their own source but have some well tested and efficient systems which can work almost in a plug and play type fashion. Then write some guides and record some videos on how to write a source using that library and leave the rest up to the end user.
Thanks
1 User
Old 07/17/2011, 23:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
You could write the source in a completely modular way even possibly loading packet structures from external files on startup.

By doing that you could create it (mostly) patch independent and allow people a wide range of customization options without even needing to touch the source.

Example: Log the most common packets (all game systems, patch dependent features should be separate) and have them load from a external ini or xml file to determine how the packet is structured. Once these are loaded into the source they can be handled by the actual systems... which again could be written in a modular format if need be (although most likely NOT external)

A well organized and documented base built like this would be a very interesting thing for the community.

Alternatively a ConquerServer.dll would be quite interesting.

Load it up with anything a server creator could want such as...

-Encryption methods
-Socket systems (multiple options with documentation on each kind)
-Map system(s)
-Database system(s)

That way users can still design their own source but have some well tested and efficient systems which can work almost in a plug and play type fashion. Then write some guides and record some videos on how to write a source using that library and leave the rest up to the end user.
Yea exactly my point.
Old 07/17/2011, 23:25   #10

Like in your source but loading them from external files? Mk.
The problem is, packets have changed drastically since patch 4274 (for example, the general data packet). And I don't exactly like your way of doing it. There has to be an acceptable range... so I should start from somewhere.

Edit: Actually, no. Keeping the source open and getting used to editing the source is really important. I think it would be better to keep things like the source (like packet structure). That way it's defined in the source and they can get comfortable with editing the source.
Old 07/18/2011, 10:55   #11

a guide will be great try to make a lot of diagrams and coding tutorials and then make the how to make the source , try to work with 5018 or 5165 . cuz 5018 was the first patch with crypto and it have blowfish . 5165 to cover the shame of the loft source . or you can mentor me and don't do any guide lolz i would love that . make a good web site for your guide (not blog)
Old 07/18/2011, 11:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hady View Post
a guide will be great try to make a lot of diagrams and coding tutorials and then make the how to make the source , try to work with 5018 or 5165 . cuz 5018 was the first patch with crypto and it have blowfish . 5165 to cover the shame of the loft source . or you can mentor me and don't do any guide lolz i would love that . make a good web site for your guide (not blog)
*sigh*.... mk. I'll make a website.
At least then I can use pastebin. The staff here is ignoring my thread. (The staff on my friend's forum implemented it in 1 minute after I posted it...). I was thinking of also adding a text-to-speech. I found a really good one but meh. I don't know if it costs money yet.
Old 07/18/2011, 21:22   #13

I don't know what the point would be, as any useful information will be deleted by you when you quit anyway.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 07/19/2011, 00:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I don't know what the point would be, as any useful information will be deleted by you when you quit anyway.
I was suffering from post traumatic depression for 5 years. For the first time in my life again, I'm happy for no reason. I'm finally over my depression... and I get to see this. So thank you for your kind comment.
Old 07/19/2011, 00:51   #15

Quote:
I was suffering from post traumatic depression for 5 years. For the first time in my life again, I'm happy for no reason. I'm finally over my depression... and I get to see this. So thank you for your kind comment.
I'm just saying don't do that, and sure - it'd be helpful. I recently needed something from one of your posts and I see "#deleted". So yeah. I don't mean this in a derogatory or accusing way, but don't force your personal problems on the rest of us.