Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 21:56

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Opinion] Loading user assigned items (inventory/equipments)

Discussion on [Opinion] Loading user assigned items (inventory/equipments) within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[Opinion] Loading user assigned items (inventory/equipments)

So I'm using a SQL DataBase (MsSQL to be more specific) , and I can't really decide how I should load user assigned items, e.g. the inventory.
I could:
  • load all items at once and assign them to users when they log on
  • load them using a query which would only return items with a specific value as a owner
  • create one table per user, but this would affect organization
  • more ideas?
Old 03/27/2011, 12:51   #2

elite*gold: 1142
Received Thanks: 1,161
I'd say assign everything from outside. I'm loading items/nobility/spells etc separately, and assigning them to the character with the UID.
Old 03/27/2011, 13:36   #3

But all in one table?
So load everything at once, and assign them later?
Old 03/27/2011, 13:56   #4

elite*gold: 28
In the source i'm using,

All items in one table and set by UID,
ex:
[ITEMID][for character uid]

then when the character logs in the all the items in the table with the same UID are dished out.
Old 03/27/2011, 14:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basser View Post
But all in one table?
Since you are using SQL you can do select * from table where UID = client.UID;
That would take only the rows that are assigned to the UID you want.
Old 03/27/2011, 14:42   #6

Quote:
But all in one table?
No, different tables. This will probably cause more loading time, but loading is only done at login (won't be noticeable), but will be more organized.

And as impulse said, at entity loading, just select the rows that have the UID of the entity you're loading, then read all the values.
Old 03/27/2011, 17:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmeTheCoder View Post
No, different tables. This will probably cause more loading time, but loading is only done at login (won't be noticeable), but will be more organized.

And as impulse said, at entity loading, just select the rows that have the UID of the entity you're loading, then read all the values.
Than why create different tables lol?
Old 03/27/2011, 17:12   #8

As I said, more organized. This loading time will only differ a few milliseconds and it's during the login part, not game, so it won't be noticeable.
Old 03/27/2011, 17:35   #9

Quote:
As I said, more organized. This loading time will only differ a few milliseconds and it's during the login part, not game, so it won't be noticeable.
How is it more organized to have multiple tables for the same thing? 1 table each character would make a big mess too.
Old 03/27/2011, 18:36   #10

There's a difference between table and column.

What I'm saying is that you'd create a table (note, table) for example, items. So you create an table called items, with columns (note, column) including the entity ID and the item information you want to load.

I'd suggest you do this for most of the stuff, for example skills.
Old 03/27/2011, 19:05   #11

Received Thanks: 1,147
The only things I don't load in memory when I start the server are the characters and the accounts. The difference of memory usage is really not considerable and you don't have to load something more than one time...
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/27/2011, 19:44   #12

Quote:
There's a difference between table and column.

What I'm saying is that you'd create a table (note, table) for example, items. So you create an table called items, with columns (note, column) including the entity ID and the item information you want to load.

I'd suggest you do this for most of the stuff, for example skills.
Exactly.
A column is only a part of a table.
A table is not a part of a column.
So why create multiple tables for items only?
Old 03/28/2011, 00:17   #13

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
Quote:
Exactly.
A column is only a part of a table.
A table is not a part of a column.
So why create multiple tables for items only?
He never said create multiple tables just for items he meant, for all the things you need to load (items, skills, quests, etc) You create a table for each of these things (1 table for items, 1 for skills, 1 for quests) and then populate them accordingly.

Clear?
Old 03/28/2011, 01:38   #14

In your database have one table for player items, with a column with the owners UID.
When they login, query the table for every item who's owner UID is the same as the UID of the player logging in, and populate a dictionary for that player.
Old 03/28/2011, 09:11   #15

As explained above, then in the source you query the table (a good sql wrapper is impulse's ).