Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 04:56

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

WoW pServer Basics

Discussion on WoW pServer Basics within the WoW Private Server forum part of the World of Warcraft category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Found this:

This is my first attempt at a guide so give me a break

1. WoW Server Emulation basics

First and foremost, playing on a simulated WoW server aka emulated server, is not illegal. They are howerver, illegal to own and run. So I won't go into how to start up a server. I don't know. I also won't pretend I know exactly how the whole process works, just how to get you, the player, involved and playing some free WoW!

The benifits of playing these servers are numerous. But there are cons.

Pros

1. Free- Free is always good, right?

2. XP - there are many different servers who use different xp rates. I have played on some that use 200x experience point rate. I use these servers to try new templates and race/class combos I would normally be interested in, but do not feel like grinding for two weeks to find out a class or race sucks.

3. Server populations- Some servers have a few hundred people who play on a regular basis. So if you like close RP or you just don't want to deal with all the L337 13 year olds on the Blizz server, there are servers out there for you. Makes it easier to get your friends together on a server and run a raid or kill an elite mob without a whole lot of competition.

4. Special items- Some servers start you out with items that sell for one gold, to help you start out. Many also give you the collectors edition pets, so you can know what that is like without having to hunt down a copy on Ebay.

5. Quantity - After doing some research I found so many WoW servers that I had to change my mind about making a list of popular ones. Instead, later I will give a link to a server status page.

6. Alternate languages - Some of these servers are in German, Italian, Japanese, etc. So if English isn't your native language, you have some options.

Cons

1.Free - you don't pay, so you have no rights. Just find a server with good admins and your ok.

2. Stability - Some of the servers do not have the best stability, but many of the good ones are pretty good. These servers run on private computers most of the time, so they can't handle the massive traffic that the Blizz servers could take.

3. Economy - Most popular servers will try and up some item drops and do some other things to help players acquire rarer items and resources according to necessity. But, this also means on alot of servers, the AHs are crap. The server should have info listed on its status page as to loot drop changes from stock code.

4. Game version - Servers run on different versions of WoW. Some are still in 1.7, and some are up to 1.8.2 as of the date of this guides writing. If you find a server that looks good, but you don't have the right game version, switcing is a pain in the rear and I recommend just going with a game that runs the same version that you have.

2. Getting started.

First you need a front end, to tell WoW to log into a different IP instead of Blizzard's.

Download the latest verison. On first running, go to options and select the folder with your WoW.exe, and set your language.

Second, you need to find an acceptable server. I use wowstatus.net

The interface on WoWStatus is simple, just find a server that matches your game version, and what type of xp you like, make sure its up (the far right column).

Next, we need to sign up on the server's website for an account. Usually it requires little more than a name, password, and email. I would recommend not using your normal WoW info, since I wouldn't want to join a shady server, and have the Admins know the password and name I use on Blizzards server. So be warned.

Click on the name of the server you like, in the far left column of WoWStatus.net. There is a section titled AccoundSignupPage. Click the link and sign up. I shouldn't need to walk you through this step

Next, we need to enter the Servers Ip and info into WowFe. Open WoWFe (make sure to restart after changing options). Click on File-Add Server. All this info, except for IP, is for your use. I don't always use the full name of a server, I just use my own description for a name. Fill out all the fields. Also, the signup box doesn't need to be filled in, since you already signed up. All the info can be found on the WowStatus.net info page for the server.

After entering some servers you like, click on favorites, and save them somewhere. Anywhere you can find it is fine.

After adding the servers you like, to play one, click on its name, and click PLAY at the bottom of WowFe. The game should start up. Just enter your Name and password you used to sign up with on the servers website, and you should log in. It will ask for server wants. Just click on reccomend, and it will find the server your trying to log in to. Create a character and enjoy.

Every time you restart your WoW, it will revert to the last Emu server you played. To play on the Blizz server again, go to WoWFe, File, and click on play Offical Eu or US server, according to where you live obviously. Now just login like normal,and WoW will be reset to normal servers.

3. Final Notes

Don't get to attached to a character on Emulated servers. You never know when its going to get shut down, formated, or just forgoten about. If there are any questions, I will answer them and add them to the guide if I know the answers. Hope you guys enjoy your free, unique WoW emulated experience!