Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > World of Warcraft > WoW Private Server
You last visited: Today at 18:57

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

How to Compile MaNGOS on Win & Linux USus

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
How to Compile MaNGOS on Win & Linux USus

I am writing this to help you learn what goes into making a big time MMORPG and possibly get people into learning about video game production, C++, php, mysql and other programs and programming/scripting languages involved in large MMORPGs and their development.

I will reply to this thread with help if you need it but if I believe you are using this to run a public server I will ignore your posts.

Also another thing to think about, using and creating this server is 100% legal and DOES NOT infringe upon copyrights because it falls under fair use for educational purposes, HOWEVER If you use any of blizzard's images, files, even the names of their characters for anything besides learning you are BREAKING THE LAW. (This means if you make any money off of this server you can be sued by Blizzard, this would possibly include advertising on pages associated with your server and "donations".)

==================
|What you need First |
==================

First thing you will need is Some Version of MS Visual C++

This can be one of the following:
  • Visual Studio 6
  • Visual Studio 2005 + SP1
  • Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
  • Visual Studio 2008
  • Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Download for free Here
Most likely you will need the patch for SP-1, especially if you are using Windows Vista - Download SP-1 here

===================================
| Things you need to know when installing |
===================================

If you chose Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition You need to install and configure Platform SDK. To do this follow This tutorial found here up until it says in step 5 "Save and close the file and open Visual C++ Express."

If you are having trouble with step 3 here is a more detailed version:

[Step 3: Update the Visual C++ directories in the Projects and Solutions section in the Options dialog box]1. To add the paths to their appropriate sections, click the button Tools, and then go down to Options.
2. This will produce a new box.
3. Open up the Projects and Solutions subbox (click the +), and then go to VC++ Directories.
4. You'll notice that in the top-right corner of the box you will have an option which says: [Show Directories For...].
5. It should be easy from here on out, but read on if you want a guide.

6. Add the three directories, they are:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Bin] - Add this to Executable Files.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include] - Add this to Include Files.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Lib] - Add this to Library Files.

7. Continue with the steps on the website.

It is recommended that you install SP-1 as well

-----------------------------------------

If you have chosen to use Visual Studio 2005 you ong class='bbc'> TO[/b][/u] install SP-1 for VS 2005

(other versions mentioned may have other problems but I am not familiar with them and so I can not offer any help, I only mention them because they will work.)

=============================
| The Other Main Tool for Compiling |
=============================

Now you need to Download TortoiseSVN from

This is a free ware application for sharing of source code and we will use this quite a bit during this tutorial.

Install the program normally and then you need to set up your source files using SVN checkout

=====================
| Getting the Source Files |
=====================

Make a new folder somewhere (This tutorial assumes you have created this folder in the C:\ drive's root directory and named the folder MANGOS source) (from now on this will be referred to as your " MANGOS source folder")

Right click on the MANGOS source folder and choose the "SVN Checkout" option.

In the box that pops you want to click on the area labeled "URL of Repository" and put in the address to the MANGOS source code's SVN which is:

Now press the ok button and allow it to download. When it is done the window will say "Completed at revision: XXXX" It is suggested that you make a note of which revision you have for later when updating and for when you are doing the rest of this tutorial.

What you have just downloaded was 1 of 3 parts to your server, this part is known as the "core"

You will also want to get a set of scripting source code called Script Dev 2 (SD2), This is what makes the creatures actually do stuff, it is not 100% necessary but without it your creatures will do very little and many other things will not work.

To get this go into your MANGOS source folder and navigate to C:\MANGOS SOURCE\src\bindings\

Create a new folder titled ScriptDev2 and as with the core's source we need to right click the folder and choose "SVN Checkout"

This time put this url into the area labeled "URL of Repository":

Now let that download and you have your scripts. (note the revision on this one too)

(the 3rd part, which is the database, I will get to in a little bit)

========================
| Updating your server's core |
========================

This is something will want to do regularly but for now to shorten this tutorial a bit I will add it in a different tutorial later.

========
|Extra stuff |
========

OK here is where you would add any custom patches you have. HOWEVER I will leave that to a separate tutorial seeing as it will make this INSANELY long (not that it inst right now, lol) (hmm I was right, It is long enough that I need to cut it in parts You must register and activate your account in order to view images. )

==================================
|Compiling Your MANGOS Server with SD2 |
==================================

Now to the biggest part of the work.

I suggest that you ALWAYS use a whole new set of source code for EACH
COMPILE to make sure that you do not accidentally mess it up.

SO copy your MANGOS source folder (with the SD2 folder inside it)

Label this folder "workbench"

Open your workbench folder and navigate to C:\workbench\win\
Double click the .sln file for your version of Visual Studio
  • mangosdVC71.sln - Visual Studio 6
  • mangosdVC80.sln - Visual Studio 2005 or VC++ 2005 Express
  • mangosdVC90.sln - Visual Studio 2008 or VC++ 2008 Express
Now in Visual Studio select the build menu and choose the Configuration Manager

In the configuration manager change the "Active Solution Configuration" to Release and leave the "Active Solution Platform" at Win32 and close.

Now go back to the Build menu and choose Build Solution.

It should begin to compile and will take quite some time (especially on slower computers)

If you get warning messages in the bottom do not worry, some times there will be warnings, It is ok.

When it is done it should say something like: "Build: 9 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped", if it says "Build: 3 succeeded, 0 failed, 6 up-to-date, 0 skipped" That is ok too, as long as it says "0 failed" you are good.

Now on to building the Scripts.

==========
| Script Dev 2 |
==========

This is pretty much like the core, but there are a few changes.

instead of using the .sln file in C:\workbench\win you need to look for one in C:\workbench\src\bindings\ScriptDev2

AS YOU USED WITH THE CORE! If you don't If you don't If you don't this build will fail and it IS annoying.

Once again we need to go to the Build menu and to Configuration Manager and change the "Active Solution Configuration" to Release and click close.

Now just as before go to the Build menu and choose Build Solution.

When this is done you will have both your scripts and core waiting for you in C:\workbench\bin\release

================
| Working Directory|
================

Now you need to copy these files to the directory you wish to run your server out of. (This tutorial will assume C:\MANGOS)

Also copy the files mangos.conf.in out of C:\workbench\src\mangosd\ and realmd.conf.in out of C:\workbench\src\realmd\ and scriptdev2.conf out of C:\workbench\src\bindings\ScriptDev2\ and put them in C:\MANGOS

Now rename the two .conf.in files by removing the .in from each.

Check My next Tutorial for how to Set up your MANGOS Server and database. (I will add a link at the bottom when It is finished)

NOW LINUX

The following is a tutorial for compiling MaNGOS on a Linux-Based OS from the cli...
...so, if you're not "good" with *nix, this guide is not suited for you!

I'll try to help you installing mangos with your limited-user privileges.

Required Software:
  • A Linux-Based Operating System
  • GCC 3.3 and above (suggested latest) (using: GCC 4.2.2)
  • make (using: make 3.81)
  • libtool (using: libtool 1.5.24)
  • automake (1.5 and above. Suggested latest one) (using: automake 1.10)
  • autoconf (using: autoconf 2.61)
  • glibc (using: glibc 2.7 - install headers too)
  • mysql 4.1 or above (suggested 5) (using: mysql-server 5.0.51)
  • OpenSSL (using: 0.9.8g-2 - install headers too )
  • subversion (using: subversion 1.4.5)
  • zlib (using: zlib 1.2.3)
In order to get a running mangos you'll need to install all the above, before proceding.
(you could need python and some python's libs too...just check ./configure output to get a hint on what you need)

Now, let's begin...
NOTE: you need to change [user] with your user!!!
You need to get latest src mangos' tree from svn:
  • Create a new directory on your hard drive. For example: "/home/[user]/src/mangos"
  • execute this line: svn checkout /home/[user]/src/mangos
  • (optional) retrive "scripts" package you like and install it in the right spot.
    Instruction provided for every "scripts" package (read the README)

Time for the compile!!!
  • Create a new directory on your hard drive. For example: "/home/[user]/opt/mangos"
  • from a terminal browse to /home/[user]/src/mangos (aka cd /home/[user]/src/mangos)
  • execute: autoreconf --install --force
  • execute: ./configure --prefix=/home/[user]/opt/mangos --enable-cli --enable-ra
  • execute: make
  • execute: make install

Congratulation...your LATEST mangos is compiled now...and placed in /home/[user]/opt/mangos

Remember to edit configuration files in /home/[user]/opt/mangos/etc in order to get it working

mrmr

P.S.
this guide doesn't cover how to set up your database or how to extract dbcs or maps/vmaps (you need to place them in /home/[user]/opt/mangos/share)
You need all of these if you want to have a "running" mangos.
If needed i could cover Mysql and Scripts steps...just ask me...NOT in PM please.

P.P.S.
Credits goes to all the people involved in mangos development...and around...so feel free to tag this as a repost

-loads more info and the ability to get involved in creating stuff for this server project.

- Info on the scripts used here and once again the ability to get involved and learn more.

Thanks
3 Users
Old   #2

elite*gold: 2
Perfect Tutorial, thanks.

Old   #3

elite*gold: 0
im working on more