Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 02:02

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Mage: lvl 1-60 in 7 tagen

Discussion on Mage: lvl 1-60 in 7 tagen within the WoW Guides & Templates forum part of the World of Warcraft category.

Old 07/18/2005, 14:28   #46

elite*gold: 0
wiso bei privat server kann man sich mit .set level 60 (bis 250) hoch leveln da muss man keinen heistheiler töten
Old 07/18/2005, 22:57   #47

was genau sollen diese diremaul lasher sein== bei diremaul sind alles elite gegner .. da muss man sich bei jedem voll verausgaben, gibt zwar 500xp.. aber das kann doch net sinn der sache sein
Old 07/19/2005, 02:29   #48

Leider funzt das Diremaul farmen schon seit 1.5!? nicht mehr ... die mobs geben anstatt 250 xp nur noch 75 xp und bringen dadurch nichts mehr ...
Old 07/21/2005, 19:51   #49

hm und wo sollich dann meine letzten 2 lvl machen =(
Old 07/23/2005, 03:45   #50

Help me please.

The URL no longer work.
Old 07/23/2005, 15:42   #51

der links funzt nicht mehr auf der seite steht das er irgentwie nen neuen host sucht aber das kann dauern...
hat den guide vllt zufällig jemand kopiert oder so??
Old 07/24/2005, 00:12   #52

Sicher, ich hab sämtliche guides und stuff aufm rechner gespeichert

-------------------------------------------------
Guide
-------------------------------------------------
The Proxy System
By Proxy/Vince, Mannoroth Server

Brought to you by a little man with a funny name (as seen in the URL).

Horde Grinding Spots:
0-15 - Questing fastest possible exp.
15-20 - The Barrens - Harpies *
15-20 - The Barrens - Bristleback(s) *
20-26 - Thousand Needles - Galak Scouts (etc) *
20-25 - The Barrens - Bael Dun Exavs *
20-25 - Hillsbrad - Hillsbrad Farmers (etc)
26-30 - Hillsbrad - Mud Gnolls *
25-30 - Thousand Needles - Grimtotems
30-38 - Shimmering Flats - All monsters. *
38-40 - Dustswallow Swamp - Very North East Islands, Murlock Warriors/Oracles.

Horde And Alliance Grinding Spots:
40-46 - Ferales - Woodpaws (stay away from the ones that disease for slow casting speeds) **
46-48 - Ferales - Frayfeather Skystormers *
48-50 - Ferales - Harpies
48-51 - Southwest of Gadgetzan - Thistleshrubs *
50-54 - Western Plaguelands - First 'field' to the left, assorted monsters.
54-60 - Western Plaguelands - Scarlet Lumberjacks
52-60 - Eastern Dire Maul - Lashers ****

* = Recommended

EXP Rates:
Levels 30-40 = 18-20k exp/hour
Levels 40-51 = 20-25k exp/hour
Levels 52-60 = 40-50k exp/hour (Dire Maul)

Note: I recently took off the Western Plaguelands spots off the recommended list because of the release of the Honor PVP system. If you are on a PVE server, these spots should remain perfectly fine for you. If you're on a PVP server, try the spots, however, if you're being ganked, just switch back to Thistleshrubs or the Un Guro Elementals until level 52.

Spell Usage and Order:
Typically, you don't want to use spells such as Arcane Missiles, Frost Bolt, Cone of Code, and other horrible DPM/slow spells. Your basic spell order should be something similar to; Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Frost Nova + Strafe Away, Fireball (Until low HP), Scorch (Until dead). Of course, this doesn't work for everything, but you get the general idea.

Click here for a video example

Tip: Strafe SIDEWAYS away from monsters, instead of just backing up. Backing up is 70% movement, Strafing sideways = 100% Movement. I've seen LOTS of mages just back up. Getting optimal distance helps a lot - especially if you're using intelligence gear.

Tip: Loot fast! Shift + Right click the body of the monster to auto-loot everything. So many people don't know about this feature, it's amazing. I admit, I didn't even know about it for a very long time.

Knowing Your Mage:
Knowing how much damage your spells do helps A LOT. This doesn't only help in grinding, but with PVP too. I would suggest getting a UI that displays the opponents (monster/player) HP as a percentage. This makes it easier to familiarize yourself with damage. I suggest using either Nurfed's UI or CT Mod. Personally, I use CT Mod and some of the Nurfed add-ons together. The general point to knowing your mage's damage, is optimizing your mana use. You don't want to cast a fireball when the monster has only 10% health left - because your fireball's normally do around 20%. Get the idea?

UIs and Add-ons:
As I just previously said, I personally use CT Mod with some of the Nurfed Add-ons. However, there are some other good UIs out there, such as Gypsy that lots of mages use.

As for add-ons, I also use the following:
CastAway: Spell Sequencer with adjustable reset timer
Spell Alert: Notifies you when an enemy monster/player starts casting, and includes what spell they're casting.
CoolDownHud: Displays transparent icons on screen of the spells that are on cooldown, along with how long is left on each.
StatusBars: Displays your HP/MP at the bottom of the screen.
Decursive: Lets you bind a hotkey to decursive, which will cast remove curse on you/your party/your raid, if they have a curse on them.

You can find these UIs/Add-ons at .

Mage Gear
Initially, I would suggest all mages get any * of intelligence gear possible. Max your mana out as much as you can. If not, settle for Eagle/Owl gear. You don't want to start having eagle gear equipped (as a priority) until 40+. Meaning, every time you go to AH, check out gear for levels 40+, because eagle gear gets harder to come by.

What about AOE leveling?
Lots of people claim AOE leveling is the best possible way to level at all times. I haven't found this to be true. However, there are certain spots/levels when AOE grinding is the best and easiest way to level; the major and most popular spot being Dire Maul. If you solo Eastern DM, you can easily obtain 40-50k exp/hour (yes, this is unrested experience). Are there more spots? I haven't find many other AOE spots in which I consider viable. It's important to note that dying decreases your exp/hour rate A LOT, so if there's a good chance of you dying, it might not be worth the trouble at all. However, I must say that if you have a priest, then AOE leveling becomes a much better possibility. However, I wouldn't design my talents around that for obvious reasons; you always will need a priest to level at maximum speed, and it's not solo.

Wondering how to AE grind DM? Click here to see a video of how it's done.

Talents, What's The Best?!
I've leveled 3 mages past level 40, in retail. Two of them being 60, and the last one being 40. This doesn't include any of the betas. I can safely tell you from what I've experienced, a pure fire build is the fastest way to level initially. This doesn't mean being pure fire at level 60, however. As many know, talents such as clear casting are very good. I've toyed with this a bit. I've noticed clear casting doesn't start making a good amount of difference until around 40-45. So, I would suggest picking a pure fire build (please stay away from some of the less-used fire talents, such as flame strike), and have it planned out in a way that when you hit 45, you'll have 16 arcane and the rest into fire. Why? 16 arcane is IAM, Clear casting, Evocation, and IAE. All the necessary and supporting spells a mage needs.

Tips: Read Alcaras's thread on talents, located here (Click Me). Plan your build in a way that meets what I said, but conforms to one of the arcane/fire // fire/arcane builds. This might save you some cash in the long run, while giving you the opportunity to test out one of the best viable builds in the game.

Managing Your Time Away From Grinding
WoW is a very easy place to waste time in. From constantly checking AH to doing professions, you can find yourself with a huge amount of wasted time on your hands if you don't pay attention.

- When checking AH, check for gear for later (but not too far off) levels too. Doing this will save you AH trips in the long run.

- Know what spells you get every two levels. Typically, it isn't worth interrupting your grinding if the spell you receive isn't going to increase your grinding time. If, for example, you're getting a new fireball spell, that's definitely worth the trip.

- WoW is WoW. There is no getting around it. Traveling in WoW takes a huge amount of time. I've seen a huge amount of people go looking for better pits, for an extra 1-2k an hour, instead of just sticking it out and getting that 20k+ for that amount of time the other guy wasted LOOKING for a place to level. Even with teleports, don't fool yourself, try to limit your traveling as much as you can.

- Professions. Professions are a very popular time waster. STOCK UP. Instead of turning clothe into bolts, and bolts into gear, every time you get materials, STOCK UP. Do it all in big bundles. Keep the materials in your bags if you don't need the space (some spots don't drop so much, some do), if not, stock it up in a local bank.

- Instances. Lower level instances are such a waste of time for a mage. The equipment received from doing them doesn't increase your performance like melee classes. I suggest skipping the lower level instances and head straight for the ones that matter; the end-game ones.

- Dying. As I said earlier, if you're dying a lot, it might be best to chose an alternative pit. Dying reduces your exp/hour rate a lot. It pretty much is equivalent to AH trips as a mage.

Best Professions For A Mage
This is typically different for the type of server you're on. The best options for a PVP mage are Alchemy and Engineering (I cant confirm Engineering myself, but there's a large amount of mages that think so, so I'll go with that for now). Other options would be Enchanting and Tailoring. I wouldn't suggest tailoring, I consider it quite useless. I've had 260 tailoring on one of my mages, maxed tailoring on another. There's very few items you can make that you'll find useful, mainly bags. Tailoring is probably a lot more useful on a priest.

Mage Armor or Ice Armor?
It really depends on the monsters you're grinding on. You'll want to use Mage Armor when you can. Although the spell does very little, that little might be the 20 mana you need to caste a scorch or fireball to finish a monster up. If the monsters do quite high damage, use Ice Armor. An example of this, would be (from experience): Woodpaws in Ferales don't hit hard if you level on them correctly (the basic spell order I stated at the beginning of this guide), but the Stormers (initially) after Woodpaws hit faster/harder, so I had to use Ice Armor to grind there (only the first level).

The 1-2 Levels Before A New Fireball Spell
These levels can be VERY painful. What I found to help a lot is saving all quests for these levels. Even if, for example, it's quests you complete by simply grinding on monsters (Shimmering Flats), don't turn them in until they're going to turn gray or you're on one of the levels before a new fireball spell. I do NOT suggest doing purely quests, but knowing which quests are easy/grind-able on helps a lot. Also, a higher level friend might be more willing to help you, if they know it's the level (or two) before a new fireball spell, and they know you've stacked up quests so they have a wide selection to help you from. If you cant do this, simply keep grinding and deal with the extra couple hours or so of how long it takes to level. Personally, all I did was not turn in grind-able quests as long as I could hold out - until these levels came up.

Dealing With The Boringness Of Grinding
There's no way to get rid of it. There's ways to deal with it, fortunately. The basic ways are to simply play music while grinding, or position your TV to a location where you don't have to turn much to watch it, or chatting in game. Grinding doesn't require you to watch your screen 100% of the time, even on a PVP server, so watching TV isn't too hard. A method I personally like is talking to friends, RL or on team speak, both are good choices to help you forget about what you're doing. One thing I urge everyone NOT to think about is how long it's taking to level, it'll make you extremely bored/frustrated.

Why Do People Grind If It's So Boring?
A simple, yet complicated question. The simple answer is that we're power gamers/PVPers. We want to get as strong as possible as fast as possible. The part where it gets complicated is where casual gamers and such are reverting to grinding, too. With the current state of WoW, there's very little reason to do quests. One of the only reasons is that you get more involved with the story/history of WoW. Another is that it is more entertaining than grinding. While I'm not going to try arguing with either of those, I will tell you the following:

There's very few rewards to doing quests, one of them being able to buy mounts from other races in your faction. This, funny enough, isn't very possible. The other being you get discounts. I'll let you know now that you can easily obtain an honorable status by questing from 1 to 14-15, which is what I did. Grinding rewards better than questing, more materials, more gold, more of a chance to receive rare drops (blues that bind on equip), and most importantly, faster/better exp. Also, you can grind to 60 and then proceed to do instances, which means you end up with the same gear as everyone else, but faster.

How long did it take you to max, using these methods?
A bit over 7 days. Of course, it can be done faster, if you already know all of these spots, fallback spots, etc, and if you go a fire/arcane build (I went Arcane/fire). Infact, people have already maxed faster than I did using this guide.

Mage Macros:
Here are some macros for mages. They work great for their purpose.

Polymorph Macro
Description: Announces the gender of the target, as well as their level.

script if UnitSex("target") == 1 then SendChatMessage("Sheeping Female " .. UnitLevel("target") .. " %t","say") else SendChatMessage("Sheeping Male " .. UnitLevel("target") .. " %t", "say"); end
/cast Polymorph(Rank 4)

Counter-Spell
Description: It will cancel whichever spell is casting and cast counter-spell. Works GREAT in PVP.

/script SpellStopCasting()
/script CastSpellByName("counterspell")

WOTF
Description: When you get feared in PVP, you automatically lose your target, this will automatically target the last person when using WOTF.

/cast Will of the Forsaken(Racial)
/script TargetLastEnemy()

Reparty:
Description: This will leave the party and reparty the person of your choice, resetting the instance. Very helpful with Dire Maul. Replace "Person" with the players name.

/script LeaveParty()
/invite Person
Old 07/24/2005, 04:10   #53

Danke soviel. Entschuldigen Sie das deutsche mit Übersetzer.

[img]text2schild.php?smilienummer=1&text=Excuse My German' border='0' alt='Excuse My German' />
Old 07/24/2005, 11:12   #54

es gibt andere mmorpgs wos keine quests gibt sondern nur gegrindet wird, also muss man sich damit abfinden können.
(ich rede von ragnarok online)
Old 08/27/2005, 20:53   #55

Quote:
Originally posted by intschu@May 30 2005, 18:44
Just read it

Greets

intschu
ist der link komplett Tot oder kann den mal einer Aktualisieren
Old 08/27/2005, 23:42   #56

Wurde eh GEFIXT daher kein neuer Link
Old 08/28/2005, 01:47   #57

Wie soll man das bitte Fixen ? das war ein guide welche mobs man killen soll -.- . guckma 3 posts über dir da steht der Guide
Old 09/02/2005, 17:45   #58

da steht ja immer mal Click for video preview.

hat jmd diese videos? oder link dazu? wär schick ^^
Old 09/05/2005, 08:05   #59

Quote:
Originally posted by azra@Aug 28 2005, 01:47
Wie soll man das bitte Fixen ? das war ein guide welche mobs man killen soll -.- . guckma 3 posts über dir da steht der Guide
sie haben in dm den pflanzen weniger exp gegeben deshalb kann man dort nicht mehr die letzten lvl machen das wurde gefixed
Old 10/16/2005, 12:10   #60

jupp wurde gefixt. dennoch keine schlechte stelle mit den pflanzen