Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Popular Games > Silkroad Online > SRO Guides & Templates
You last visited: Today at 04:28

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Tips] Silkroad Account Security

Discussion on [Tips] Silkroad Account Security within the SRO Guides & Templates forum part of the Silkroad Online category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 28719
The Black Market: 138/0/0
Received Thanks: 21,381
[Tips] Silkroad Account Security

Hey,

I know there are some threads about this out there but I think this will be useful though.
  • Your password should contain at least 7 letters and/or numbers. Hint: Come up with some really senseless sentence with letters and numbers. Here an example : I look forward to the Simpsos Halloween Special on October 31th., Now take the first letter of every word and your password is: “ilfttshsoo31” For a password like this a bruter needs about 107 years and you can remember it easily.

• Create an e-Mail account only for Silkroad! The password there should be as difficult as on your Silkroad account.

• Change your password every 25 days.

• Never give out details about yourself in the internet like your name and where you live.

• Get some professional Security Software! Free programs like Antivir are no hindrance even for amateur-hackers. Buy some sofware like "ZoneAlarm" or "Kaspersky", your account is worth it right?

• Donīt register anywhere with your Silkroad account data! The owner of the website/forum/Teamspeak-Server etc can get this data easily and you donīt know if you can trust them.

• If you want to bot or use some tools, donīt trust every program. Only use programs whose safety is confirmed.

• If you want to share your account, donīt share something you wouldnīt give out for free. You can trust nobody in the internet (especially on Silkroad).

• At the moment there are quite a lot of Phishing-Sites out there. These are websie which look exactly like the official Silkroad-Website but take a closer look at the URL! You often get such links via e-Mail in which they tell you to refresh your account data. Then you have to log in there and then they have your data.

• Use an ID which is as difficult as your password e.g. “odsklna17″ But if you already have an easy ID donīt register with it on forums/websites! Also donīt call your character like the ID!

Source:

Translated by me for you guys.

Regards,
John Dread
Thanks
4 Users
Old 02/07/2009, 13:09   #2

elite*gold: 0
Thank you John for sharing this tips with us.Let me add some more:
- DON'T Download files or images from guys you dont know on MSN or Yahoo Messenger.Be carreful of keyloggers they are No. 1 security issue.
- Hackers could infect your friends computer with keylogger and when u'r friend sends u for example a Screenshot it maybe infected so watch out. Make them uploaded it to Imageshack or something else.
- Some torrents may have viruses in them so downloaded it only when u are sure it's safe ( I'm not promoting the use of torrent).
- Allways update your Antivirus and it's better to have a stand-alone Firewall like John said Zone Alarm.

This is all I have to say. Take care and enjoy the game!
Old 02/07/2009, 13:15   #3

Received Thanks: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2008 View Post
- Hackers could infect your friends computer with keylogger and when u'r friend sends u for example a Screenshot it maybe infected so watch out. Make them uploaded it to Imageshack or something else.
I had to laught a lot, images can't execute any 3rd Party Tools.
Why?
Because its not an executable file.

*.scr, *.bat, *.exe and a few more can be keylogger, but no .jpg or .bmp and so on.
Old 02/07/2009, 14:26   #4

I was refering to images sent in RaR format or Zip format. I've got a keylogger once so it's not so funny.
Old 02/08/2009, 01:15   #5

Nice guide.

Add in to make sure you make your secret question hard, but not too hard so people cannot steal it easily.
Old 02/08/2009, 10:09   #6

elite*gold: 20
Thanks John Very useful
even if some of it is posted before in my thread but really thanks alot it has very useful information
Old 02/08/2009, 16:43   #7

Received Thanks: 2,990
Could you change the title to Silkroad Account Security?
I thought it's a guide about the security used in Silkroad Packets.
Old 02/08/2009, 17:08   #8

elite*gold: 28719
The Black Market: 138/0/0
Received Thanks: 21,381
yes youīre right...done
Old 02/09/2009, 18:33   #9

common sense still a nice guide though for the ppl that dont have it
Old 08/04/2009, 01:28   #10

on SBot Forum i FOund another thing it calls Keyscrambler u get saved from Keyloggers and so on =) Its nice , iuse it too
here the DownloadLink :
Old 08/06/2009, 03:26   #11

Other good stuff...

In theory, if you are email verified, they can get into your email and obtain your data so that's no good. For "Password Recovery", the hacker needs to not only know your email, but also either get in or intercept the message, so setting your email to something obscure and impossible that the joymax checker still says OK is ideal, cuz that way even if they guess correctly for secret answer and email, it won't send the message ^_^

So basically from there, only way you can get hacked is from keyloggers and scammers.

Also, don't post on the silkroadonline.net forums with your real account, especially if it's set to display your real character cuz there are ways to obtain ID from posts through the forum so yea, it's best for on your real account to set it to a character that you don't care about and if you do feel the need to post there, do it on a dummy account.

As for the trust thing, it sorta depends. Like there are some people who you will have been friends with from long ago, trusted each other with items, followed each other into servers, that eventually you can trust, like I got 1 friend like that who we trusted each other with our accounts and neither stole anything from each other up until the moment he quit, and he just gave em all to me now =/. But anyways, that's only some situations (like part of the reason for staying in silkroad is because of friends so if your friends are willing to betray you for items, why play in the first place). For every 1 like this tho, there are probably 20 people who get screwed over so just never give away info for an account that you don't know the secret answer for (a friend of mine gave his info to a friend long ago, who did nothing bad but a friend of this friend was there IRL and later pked hundreds of people and gave away the info in public chat, and my friend didn't know the secret answer of his account so he lost it. So it's realy hard to tell, cuz I mean honestly your friend could have a keylogger on their computer, so being accountable for 2 different pcs is twice the risk...so it's really an iffy subject. Avoid if possible.

As for firewall, I'd also go with zomealarm free

Just kidding, zonealarm is a piece of shit, sorry if anyone installed that (it truly is horrible, It actually CAUSED my pc to crash and run slower, and it's supposed to protect from things that do that lol :P)
Old 08/06/2009, 07:23   #12

i would like to add somthing to this.. you need to allso be aware of activex ... what is this and what does it do ? well once back in school i made a vb-script that would when you went to the site.. you didint have to click on anything or load anything. it would write a .txt file to you C:/ compile it to an exe and execute its self.. using nothing more but vb-script and active-x controls...... needless to say dont go to some random site you know nothing about.
Old 08/24/2009, 19:25   #13

And most important of all:
  • Stop beeing an Idiot