Quote:
Originally Posted by aero_ass
Nobody said C# can't be used for an MMORPG server.
The questionable claim is that AOT makes C# indistinguishable from C++. It doesn't. AOT gives you native compilation, not C++'s memory model or low-level control. GC, allocation behavior, data layout and runtime abstractions still matter.
C# can be extremely performant. That doesn't make it equivalent to C++ in every workload.
And "you're not an MMORPG developer" isn't an argument. Show the benchmarks instead.
|
He did make that claim, He said "whatever you do with C# it's not going to be production-ready"
real life AOT benchmarks are all over the internet, you can dodge the GC pretty easily and you should when writing a game server in C#
even without AOT, C# is still very much capable of hosting 1.5K players on a single server instance (Conquer Online servers (modern ones) and emulators, EuDemon servers and many other MMORPGs with emulators written in C# i DAoC has one too)
I said he's not an "MMORPG Developer" because he's trying to give MMORPG Server Development advice he said that he has never seen C# for MMORPG servers
as for the "AOT Makes C# indistinguishable from C++" claim, fair enough, let me rephrase: well written, allocation conscious C# (pooling, structs, Span<T>, ECS libraries, avoiding LOH churn) gets close enough to C++ for most game server workloads that the difference stops being the bottleneck.
PS: I haven't touched C# in a couple years and mostly write C++ now. Not defending a stack I use I just don't like "it'll never be production ready" claims.