Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Shaiya > Shaiya Private Server > Shaiya PServer Guides & Releases
You last visited: Today at 14:21

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

[TUT]How to Make a Recolored Armor a New Item in Client and SQL!

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Cool [TUT]How to Make a Recolored Armor a New Item in Client and SQL!

THIS TUTORIAL IS FROM BEGINING TO END!
NOTE: This tutorial does have video showing you the most important part of the process, this is also a tutorial on how to make the armor you make a new item it is not on how to recolor just how to place it in the client without any problems.

In this tutorial i will show you how to edit a dds file in photoshop. Also i will teach you how to use shStudio to make it a new model and a whole new set, this means that you will be able to make the armor WITHOUT taking the old armors out.

I am making this tutorial mainly because well the fact is that not many developers know how to do this and its quite annoying because they take out Daynorth Armor and i personally like the purple daynorth QQ.

This will have video and everything.

Things you need:

1. Photoshop - (I use CS6 because i like the interphase)
This is to the trial version, i have the full version so yeah feel free to try it if you want.

2. DDS Plug-ins for Photoshop - (This is for 32 bit and 64 bit software, even though you need a 64 bit computer to run the 64 bit photoshop correctly) (works for Photoshop CS6)
Install the Plug-ins

3. shStudio - (Set up the program like it states ps that means that you need to extract the whole client) shStudio

4. Shaiya Data File Tool - (Basically use as is obvious) Shaiya Data File Tool

5. MLX files - You have to make them. Its quite simple just open a .txt document. Just File>Save As> demf.mlx (make sure that the file save type is not set to txt but to all file types)
(need one for demf, demr, dewf, dewr, elmr, elmm, elwr, elwm, humf, humm, huwf, huwm, vimr, vimm, viwr, viwm) you need to place them in Data>Character> DeathEater/Elf/Human/Vile (or you can just get them from the attachments on this post.)

Part One: The Recoloring
Video:

Directions:

Find the .dds files from the Shaiya Data File Tool.
(ps with the mlx files you can see what gear is using the models, and what dds's are used. Plus you can see what they will look like in-game) :P

Open Photoshop
Find the DDS that you want to edit or recolor.
Open it in Photoshop
(Make sure Load Using Default Sizes is selected)

Then you can edit the brightness and the contrast.

If you want to edit the color edit the Hue/Saturation Levels

When done File > Save As > (Add a new number to the end or whatever so you dont overwrite the other file.) Ex. demf_torso0001.dds save as demf_torso00011.dds

Make sure that Alpha Channels is selectedthen click save > Make sure its on DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha 2D Texture and No MIP maps.> Image Options. (you will see a table with red green blue and alpha 1's in the first collums and 0's in the second, set the first number of alpha to 0 to get rid of alpha shine)> Save.

Now you got your new Armor color.

Part Two: The Importing
Video:

Directions:
Put your new .dds files into Data\Character\Race(DeathEater, Elf, Human, Vile)\DDS

Go to shStudio that needs to be set up right! and open the gender/classes mlx file you made, and put into Data\Character\RaceName.

Should have a list of all the Models in the game.

Go to the bottom of the list and go Edit > Create Item.

This will make a whole new line at the bottom with a new model number.
The space under Name you place a name of the armor just for fun it wont show up anywhere.
In the spots that it has DDS you place in order of torso, lower, boots, hand. YOU NEED TO PUT .dds AFTER THEM or it wont recognize the file.
Same on the lower fields that are next to 3DC but you keep off the last number you put on, you didnt change the wire frame you changed the texture.
once you got the full set in and you clicked update model you should see in the right hand box a full picture of what the armor will look like in game.

Then File>Save. Close shStudio fully. Then open the Item.SData with shStudio. Go to the tab that says All Items find the according item catagory (Ex. Light helmets are 16)

Find an Empty item number (Example: ???255) and make a name, level (not neccisary) faction also. Where the Class1 collum, make the 0 to a 1 so it gives it a model to go by. File>Save. File>Open>Item.SData
look under the side armor it is under (that you put it under) if your shStudio is setup correctly you should see a model now. Sellect that box and go down to your new model number. Then make the stats you want them to be and click okay. BOOM new set without overwriting the old set.

Helmets are different though you need to open ****_helmet.MLT file to make that a model of its own. Same thing as the MLX but they are next to eachother and no name needed. First collum is for the .dds files and the second collum is for the .3DC file.

When you save the Item.SData the shStudio makes a SQL file with all the items and changes. All you do with that is give it to your sql guy or to someone with database access and just open it up in SQL and Exicute it. That is how the Client and Database is kept insync with eachother.

Part Three: The Patching
Video:

Directions:
Easiest way to put patches into the server after making the Armor is quite simple.
First, Make a Data Folder on your desktop (This means right click> new> folder...and name it Data) then, find all your files you edited. MLX files edit almost all of the MLT files.
Place them in the corrisponding folders. Ex. for the demf.mlx it would be Data\Character\DeathEater\
PS you do also make a Character Folder then too. i suggest just copy and paiste your Data folder into the one on the Desktop so that everyone has what you have at that moment.
Also when you make new armor and put them in you edit the Item.SData so you would also have in that folder Data\Item\Item.SData.

When that Data folder you just made is done and full of all your edited client files you use your Shaiya Data File Tool and follow File>Create Patch> From Folder then it opens a box where you sellect the folder you made with your updates click ok and yes. Once the Prompt box comes up with Complete you click ok and upload your .patch to your updater and exicute the SQL so the database matches the client.

You use the Shaiya Data File Tool and import all your dds file you made and the mlx and all the files you changed into your client so that you can make a patch.
Part Four: The Relaxing
Directions:
Once they are all in the client and patched to the players you just have one last thing to do. Sit back and get the "OMG THIS GEAR IS FKING AWESOME!" Best part is people like a certain armor. They all can be happy cuz they got new armor and they can still have the old if they really want to.

Well congratz you have new armor in your game without taking away anyones favorite gear.

Part Five: The Erroring
Directions:
Signs of if you messed up:
White armor: DDS file is not reading as a dds file.
Solution: Remake the DDS file.

See Through Armor: DDS is not in Client.
Solution: Make a patch with the file.

Black Armor w/no detail: When you paisted something on top of the dds file you didnt merge down.
Solution: Remake the DDS file.

Part Six: The Crediting
Credits:
shStudio - castor4878
Photoshop - Adobe
Photoshop Plug-ins - nvidia
Shaiya Data File Tool - lilprohacker

Note: VirusTotal Results
SHA256: 22f499700747067f3ef933e1ce26179eadfc948772758a6610 da427d9f908897
File name: MLX files.rar
Detection ratio: 0 / 43
Analysis date: 2012-09-30 00:24:01 UTC ( 0 minutes ago )
Attached Files
File Type: rar MLX files.rar (1.6 KB, 1127 views)

Thanks
51 Users
Old 10/16/2011, 12:17   #2

Just a few notes.

Quote:
DDS Plug-ins for Photoshop - (This is for 32 bit and 64 bit computers) Plug-in
The DDS plugins are infact for your photoshop version, not your OS version. (32bit DDS plugin will not work in a 64bit Photoshop install, but it will work on the 32bit photoshop on a 64bit system)

Quote:
Deselect Alpha Channels! (if you dont it will be all black and gross)then click save > Make sure its on DXT1 ARGB 4bpp l 1 bit alpha (the 1 bit makes our alpha channel.) 2D Texture and Use Existin MIP maps set to All. > Save.
I also believe this is incorrect, i may be wrong there but i'm sure it's been described in quite a bit of detail that you do NOT want to take away the alpha atall. I've always saves as DXT5 interpolated, and never touched the alpha channel, also i generate new mip maps, which i think is "required" but not at a basic level.

and i personally dont use the mlx files, i had a few problems with them when i came to adding my own armors into the game, so i just deleted them and did it with each seperate mlt (boots, gloves, helmet, legs, top) But that may just have been me

Castor had a pretty detailed post about alot of this in the photoshop dds tutorial here, i'm sure he'll drop by to add some info to clarify some things (atleast i would like him too)
but other than that, good work on the guide, and everything else looks clearly written and accurate to me

Thanks
1 User
Old 10/16/2011, 12:30   #3

dude i have already made 4 new sets using this methoid so yeah its accurate and i have used it.
There are Two versions of Photoshop CS5 there is the Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit) and Photoshop CS5, if you got the Master Collection. Also i didnt make the Plug-ins and all that lol

With the other thing you brought up i have tried the other way and on the 3DC files and they end up looking fully blacked out with only a few dots of color. you can try and see for yourself but this methoid works for me so yeah :P

PS thanks for your imput dude lol
Thanks
1 User
Old 10/16/2011, 12:57   #4

do you get the alpha shine problem with that method?

if not:

yeah, okay, it might be the wrong solution (according to castors posts) but hell, finally a tutorial that shows how to remove that effect <.<

idc really about the alpha channel or what im removing, as long as everything is working ^^

Old 10/16/2011, 14:15   #5

I didnt mean to sound like i was discrediting you or saying your method was wrong, so sorry if it came across in that way atall

Was just saying from my experience, with DXT1 and trying to do anything with the alpha channel there is always a problem.

and Yes, i've used PS7 and PS CS5, so i understand how the 32,64 bit works on them, just thought i would add it incase anyone had a 64bit system and tried to use the 32bit version of there photoshop with the 64bit DDS plugin, cuz it wont work, i tried it.

I dont understand fully the workings of DXT and all that, but from what i've read on Castors posts, i'm sure you dont wanna be editing the alpha channel, cuz that is when problems with the gears arises (white glow, black spots) which i have never had using DXT5, and have made many armor sets.

If the method works for yourself, and others.. then great
But it didnt work for me, using those methods i got the errors, so i had to use DXT5 (just incase this doesnt work for others and they then flood you with questions why)

also, quick add on:
i noticed in your video you used an armor piece with no skin. It should be noted that if you do recolour an armor piece with skin showing, you will need to deselect the skin.. otherwise you'll get blue / green glowing people.. which although fun looking.. i'm sure you dont all want
Old 10/16/2011, 14:23   #6

well, i am using DXT5, but always get this stupid alpha shine (what drives me insanely crazy since some of those gears do show many skin, and it looks like plastic now -.-)

quick add on, too:

but it would be nice if you have the time to recolor the skin of a whole race, you could create night elves for example :P
Old 10/16/2011, 14:37   #7

Humans + Nightelves
VS
Hulks + Umpaloompas (charlies chocolate factory) ??

I can see it now :P

and alpha shine using DXT5? well i've never had that plasticy thing you describe using DXT5, how did you colour the armors tho? we've always done it with H/S/L (hue, saturation, lightness) and gradients when neccessary.

But ofcourse, we dont colours our armors in a "whole" as the video suggested.
Old 10/16/2011, 15:27   #8

i used hue etc and color balance

i select the skin parts, made a new layer of them (was the only way to avoid coloured skin), the coloured the gear, fused the layers together again and saved them as DXT5 with MipMaps.

but i had to convert the dds files to psd at first since im using gimp, and not PS (just dont have 1000 bucks to buy that **** >.<)
Old 10/16/2011, 15:41   #9

hmm, that may be where your problems are coming in then, the DDS conversion.
Also i've never merged the layers back together, just save as DDS and it automatically merges all layers aslong as they are all in "view"
I've never used GIMP, so i'm not to sure on the structure it's based on where DDS are involved.. but if i had to take a guess, it would be that causing your problems.
Try the method PotHead stated, and see if that works out for you, if not.. then i'm guessing it's something GIMP does.
Old 10/16/2011, 17:23   #10

well, i made what he did (even before he made that tutorial), it was one way to make my custom gears, and the alpha shine was the result...

stupid gimp >.<

Edit:

lol, im such an idiot >.< it wasnt gimps fault, it was mine <.< i saved the gear with gimp as dds instead of converting the edited psd file via dds converter into dds

i also used DXT5 and MipMaps, while the 70 gear uses DXT3 and no MipMaps...

im such an idiot! >.<
Old 10/16/2011, 20:10   #11

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,929
Pretty nice tutorial on this, I have always been really bad at editing anything that has to be with graphics (even ended up hating PS) but I will be giving this a try
Old 10/16/2011, 20:55   #12

yeah i used this method to make the following for the servers im working on :P

the Teal armor i made a complete set so its quite easy to do xD

how i avoided the skill discoloring was just copied the skin from the original dds and just copy and pasted put it into place over the discolored and just merged layers.

So not that difficult.
Old 10/17/2011, 17:03   #13

OMG! :O *looks jealous at the *** syron*

Old 10/17/2011, 23:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotG View Post
i used hue etc and color balance

i select the skin parts, made a new layer of them (was the only way to avoid coloured skin), the coloured the gear, fused the layers together again and saved them as DXT5 with MipMaps.

but i had to convert the dds files to psd at first since im using gimp, and not PS (just dont have 1000 bucks to buy that **** >.<)

This does work on portable PS lol portables still do have plug-in folders xD

so you can google photoshop cs5 portable and still be able to use this as a whole xD

I already tested it and stuff lol

PS guys i like how Caster does his shstudio tutorial/release and how he is active in it so im going to try to be as active as i can in this post cuz quite frankly i hate when people post and just dont respond to people who need help with it xD
Old 10/20/2011, 00:38   #15

hey guys right now im looking into make swimming armor xD, like females get bakinis and males get swim trunks with the top being water wings lol

make a weapon one of those foam noodles lol and the sheild a one of those wraft toobs lol

Tags
good to know shaiya, new armor, recolor armor, shaiya armor

« No Mob Svmaps | Shaiya US Unpack Ep8 game and updater.exe »