Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Shaiya > Shaiya Private Server > Shaiya PServer Development
You last visited: Today at 06:32

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Release] Game Account Registration PHPBB

Discussion on [Release] Game Account Registration PHPBB within the Shaiya PServer Development forum part of the Shaiya Private Server category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[Release] Game Account Registration PHPBB

Add to your PHPBB Install To Automatically Create A Game Account When Users Create A Forum Account.

Remember to Edit line 343 in functions_user.php to set your server information and overwrite your files with these.

I made this originally because the php registration script available was too insecure.
and also because it didn't allow for any kind of limitations.

With this script each account must be from a valid e-mail address "if you have e-mail address verification enabled on the forum".

It also records the e-mail and current IP of the user signing up for the account in the database for cross reference later if needed.

Also it currently only allows 1 account from each E-mail address and can limit the characters used in the account user-name to just alphanumeric preventing many SQL injection attempts.

The script can be changed to create multiple game accounts per forum account created. "My server is set at 3 Game account's created for each forum account".

Thank Me If You Use This....
Attached Files
File Type: zip PHPBB_Game_Account.zip (27.4 KB, 753 views)
Thanks
14 Users
Old 09/23/2010, 16:12   #2

I was quite enthousiastic when i read this, and then i remembered i got my server local and my webservers hosted online... And they dont support SQL linking >.<. /Karma though for making this, you got my thanks .
Old 09/23/2010, 21:28   #3

I understand the convenience of having a forum account tied to your game account but I feel that it is a huge security risk for the game accounts.

Personally I feel it would be better security practice to not have the two accounts tied together. When hacking an account on a server half the battle is finding out the account name, assuming there is a specific target. If these two accounts were tied together then you simply check the forum for the account name.

Of course all this is moot if the user creates both accounts using the same login and password, but as administrators I feel it is our duty to do what we can to minimize the risk, not make it greater.

Either way, I’m not trying to downplay your work; I just wanted to add my two cents.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 09/23/2010, 22:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthCrush View Post
I understand the convenience of having a forum account tied to your game account but I feel that it is a huge security risk for the game accounts.

Personally I feel it would be better security practice to not have the two accounts tied together. When hacking an account on a server half the battle is finding out the account name, assuming there is a specific target. If these two accounts were tied together then you simply check the forum for the account name.

Of course all this is moot if the user creates both accounts using the same login and password, but as administrators I feel it is our duty to do what we can to minimize the risk, not make it greater.

Either way, I’m not trying to downplay your work; I just wanted to add my two cents.
True enough but not only would the forum and game account have to be the same but the toon name as well. because that is what you will see in game not the account name only the toon name.

I only offered this because it is more secure than the original script.
"That we all saw was subject to SQL injections"
and it gives the admin a record of who actually sign's up for each account.

I remember when i first opened my server in closed beta i had an average of 70-80 people online but had over 900 accounts created some without even having a username or password just blanks.
and no record of who had created tons of accounts.
Old 09/23/2010, 22:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalSniper View Post
True enough but not only would the forum and game account have to be the same but the toon name as well. because that is what you will see in game not the account name only the toon name.

I only offered this because it is more secure than the original script.
"That we all saw was subject to SQL injections"
and it gives the admin a record of who actually sign's up for each account.

I remember when i first opened my server in closed beta i had an average of 70-80 people online but had over 900 accounts created some without even having a username or password just blanks.
and no record of who had created tons of accounts.
My whole point was, you can find out the account name by using the forums.

Players will want people to know who they are on the forums so by using their tags or posts you will eventually be able to map their in-game toon names to their forum accounts then back to their game accounts.

From my understanding this script(didn’t look at the code) creates a game account based on the forum account, so both account logins are the same.

You know what, it doesn’t matter. Players should create two accounts anyways, one to post on the forums and one to log into the game. If they did this the account logins would be different.

I forgot that OS did this too. I created two accounts there, one for playing and one for posting. I think if players did this, all would be fine.

Good script, bad practice.
Old 09/24/2010, 00:35   #6

elite*gold: 100
Received Thanks: 1,003
Have yet to test it, but if this works that would be amazing and help out a lot of servers purely based on phpbb3.
Old 09/24/2010, 04:35   #7

I went to test this today, after editing the server info, yet when I would try to submit an account register it would either go to a blank page. I would register the account for the forum, but not for the game.

This was just a brief test and not really in depth at all. I will scour the code on both my end, as well as the reg script and see what is up.

Thank you for the release. Will become very convenient for many people. Though I prefer having my registrations separate, I figured I would test it out anyway.

BTW, you can place limits on the reg script most of us are using now. I have not had an empty cell in a registration since Purity started.

Nice implement from what I can see so far though.

-Syn
Old 03/28/2012, 01:56   #8

Old thread necro-ing FTW

If you already run a Shiaya server, and already had a ton of people on your server, how would you implement this so that the existing shaiya accounts had forum accounts? Is it even possible?
I have a good understanding of php and mysql, and phpbb, so technical answers are more then welcome.
Old 03/28/2012, 23:01   #9

yea necro lol but at least is a good reason... seems like you cud take the given values from the users_master table and import the needed values back into the sql database for the forums, never tried but seems logically would work... basically once your forum users table was set up you would just copy the userid and password plus whatever values maybe ip and joindate, and insert them into your forum table, you may have to set somethings to a common factor idk what all is stored forum side, but say they have a column for time zone, you would have to set this to a static value and then each user would have/could update their settings correspondently...
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/21/2012, 22:43   #10

One big bump for this worked.

Tags
account, login, logon, phpbb, shaiya