Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 13:08

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Struggling to get started

Discussion on Struggling to get started within the Shaiya PServer Development forum part of the Shaiya Private Server category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Struggling to get started

Hello there. This is the one topic which I really hoped that I did not have to post.

I'm currently running two instances of SQL Server on my local machine. 2008 (Not express) and SQL 2012.

As 2012 does not provide support for the current database files. I haven't had the chance to manually upgrade them so they can be ran with 2012/2014. This is something which can be put off for the time being.

I've hit a snag in the road with getting the server off the grounds. My logs indicate nothing of use.. When I say of no use, I mean only giving the basic information on what the error actually is. Nothing in-depth to go on.

It's your typical: Green Pause > To Arrow > To Green Pause.

Now, as I stated. The logs aren't exactly informative. Just as an example:

2016-01-18 22:28:14 PS_SESSION__system log start (Session)

2016-01-18 22:28:15 userlog connect failed

2016-01-18 22:28:15 initserver() failed

2016-01-18 22:28:15 3 1 SService::ServiceCtrlDispatcher(): m_pService->Init()

2016-01-18 22:28:15 PS_SESSION__system log end (Session)

2016-01-18 22:28:15 3 1 SService::ServiceCtrlDispatcher(): service shutdown

The similarities between each of the logs are the same. Failed to connect.

one would assume that it's incorrect login information to the database server, this is not the case. I can 100% assure the community that credentials are correct. I have even changed from using the user created: ShaiyaSrv to the sysadmin: sa. The credentials are correct, yet do not run sucessfully.

I have changed hashes/user accounts in the following files:
  1. ps_dbAgent.ini
  2. ps_game.ini
  3. ps_gameLog.ini
  4. ps_login.ini
  5. ps_userlog.ini

which are located: D:\ShaiyaServer\PSM_Client\Bin\Config

as an extra precaution. I have changed hashes in: D:\ShaiyaServer\PSM_Server\Config - PSMServer_Config.ini

Regarding the actual Server_mgr.exe,

Account: ShaiyaSrv
Password: Plain Text of correct password. Can assure there is no mistakes there.

Services are correctly installed.

Have noticed a single error in Windows Event Viewer:

The shaiya_serverf service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
This occured before I was even ready to attempt to turn on the actual server. So, I can safely eliminate this from being a cause from concern.

Can also add to the case, that Moving from D:\ over to C:\ does not resolve this issue
Old 01/19/2016, 13:00   #2

Could you upload the most recent log files from:
ShaiyaServer\PSM_Client\Bin\Log
ShaiyaServer\PSM_Client\Log

Are all of the services going back to pause? Sorry to ask, but just making sure. If yes, then it is almost certainly a database connectivity issue. This could include but isn't limited to (in my experience);
  • Missing databases
  • Incorrect username and/or password for the SQL user in .ini files
  • Incorrect username and/or password for the SQL user in SQL
  • Incorrect IP in .ini files
  • Incorrect configuration in SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols
  • Incorrectly installing the SQL

Having it installed on C: or D: won't cause any issues as long as the PSM_Service.ini located in ShaiyaServer\PSM_Client\Config is correct.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 01/19/2016, 19:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallerus View Post
Could you upload the most recent log files from:
ShaiyaServer\PSM_Client\Bin\Log
ShaiyaServer\PSM_Client\Log

Hey there.

Thanks for getting back to me, to keep things short and simple for content in this post. Logs will be submitted to paste bin.
  1. Charsave.log -
  2. DBAGENT_System.log -
  3. PS_GAME_System.log -
  4. PS_GAMELOG_System.log -
  5. PS_LOGIN_System.log -
  6. PS_SESSION_System.log -
  7. PS_USERLOG_System.log -
  • Databases Present -
  • Database User -
  • Database User Roles -
  • Database User Login Properties -
  • Have Mapped User to required schemas -
  • SQL Protocols -
  • SQL named Pipe -

In regards to: D:\ShaiyaServer\PSM_Client\Log the only entry in the logs (all 3 files) is:
2016-01-19 16:35:53 PSM_AGENT__system log start (PS_AGENT)

I can confirm that the password used in the ini files is correct. Maybe the hashing from the password encryption executional can draw some blanks? as it's not a persistent hash each time the exe is closed and reopened?

I can confirm that all IP addresses within the ini files are pointing to locahost (127.0.0.1)

SQL 2008 is correctly installed, can connect to the database user in question using the correct password, which I can say for certain that the correct password has been used by the hashing program within the Shaiya Server folders.

I can also add and say for certain that the SQL file: "SQL New Installation.SQL" ran without a problem.
Old 01/19/2016, 21:50   #4

Ok, so the logs do confirm it is a database connection issue.
  • Missing databases
    > TCP/IP > IP Addresses: change all instances of "IP Address" to '127.0.0.1'. (or confirm they already are).
    > Named Pipes > try and use '\\.\pipe\sql\query' instead.

Personally what I'd recommend is to use the default user "Shaiya" and password "Shaiya123" when setting up your first server before introducing a more secure login, simply for the fact that the default .ini files won't need to be changed and it is one less thing to check when encountering a problem.
Old 01/19/2016, 22:18   #5

Quote:
Ok, so the logs do confirm it is a database connection issue.
  • Missing databases
    > TCP/IP > IP Addresses: change all instances of "IP Address" to '127.0.0.1'. (or confirm they already are).
    > Named Pipes > try and use '\\.\pipe\sql\query' instead.

Personally what I'd recommend is to use the default user "Shaiya" and password "Shaiya123" when setting up your first server before introducing a more secure login, simply for the fact that the default .ini files won't need to be changed and it is one less thing to check when encountering a problem.

Can confirm that pipes are as you've stated, and can also confirm that instances are set to localhost.

Will revert the old.ini files and change user password to Shaiya123 and update.

- Still not working
Old 01/19/2016, 22:38   #6

I have a working test server on D: with Shaiya/Shaiya123. If you'd like I can upload the appropriate files for you to use to rule out .ini files if it still doesn't want to work.

I do faintly remember that I was personally having trouble with this a couple of years ago when I first started out, I was using 2008 R2 I believe and it was something to do with the installation process, this may not be the same for you though.

Edit: Uploaded Server Configuration folders.
~ Note: Directory = D:\ShaiyaServer\
Attached Files
File Type: rar ServerConfig.rar (6.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 01/19/2016, 23:18   #7

Quote:
I have a working test server on D: with Shaiya/Shaiya123. ...

Will give it a try now, will update in a second

Nope no luck.

if you could, do you know what caused the complication with the installation?
Old 01/20/2016, 02:15   #8

Try using Sa user if that works then theres your issue

-note on there your issue: user sometimes messes up
Old 01/20/2016, 03:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2p View Post
Try using Sa user if that works then theres your issue

-note on there your issue: user sometimes messes up
Tried SA, tried creating another user account. Tried to connect using Windows Authentication. Nothing

I for one do not see how a "user" can sometime mess up. There could have been a permission issue, but that'll be stomped out if users don't understand the difference in the server roles.

Plus. Using SA, is something I wouldn't recommend relying on.. With that said, giving the user account which you create for the databases the "sysadmin" role is also a bad idea. Once i've got the server working completely, i'll be tinkering around to find out what permissions will work and which ones will break.

As on the off chance that the server is compromised, and a connection can be established to the database.. having that user as a full power user is a bad idea. It can wreak havoc.

overall, personally. I wouldn't give this user the permission to truncate, drop table, altar, create tables. It only needs the bare necessities.

Select, Update, Add, Execute stored procedures etc.. The rest, is just asking for trouble.
Old 01/20/2016, 08:39   #10

Hate to be the one to mention it.. but have you added the linked servers?

Just change Shaiya with your ini username and Shaiya123 with ini password.
Another small chech, did you change the # enc passwords in the ini files?
PSM_Server folder has ps_passwordEnc.exe use that to give each ini a new # password

If none of that works, it usually means when you installed your SQL, you selected named instance, instead of default. That causes problems from what i remember.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/20/2016, 17:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth1010 View Post
Hate to be the one to mention it.. but have you added the linked servers?
[/spoiler]

Just change Shaiya with your ini username and Shaiya123 with ini password.
Another small chech, did you change the # enc passwords in the ini files?
PSM_Server folder has ps_passwordEnc.exe use that to give each ini a new # password

If none of that works, it usually means when you installed your SQL, you selected named instance, instead of default. That causes problems from what i remember.

SQL server is running under the default instance name. I can confirm that, the only one which was running under a custom instance was 2012. Which has now been removed from the system to stomp out any possible problems with connection.

Have ran that SQL on the new user. Ran your one just to be sure which you have a Syntax error in your final insert query.

Can also confirm that the hashes have been sucessfully updated in every .ini file which requires a password.
Old 01/21/2016, 08:42   #12

Hmm, very strange. I did a re-install 2 days ago with that exact script to add linked servers in. I'm using SQL 2008 R2.

What server files are you using? (from what release)
Old 01/21/2016, 13:15   #13

All i recommend is doing a complete wipe of SQL and i mean complete and reinstalling