Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 04:12

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Basic Graphics Tut

Discussion on Basic Graphics Tut within the Shaiya PServer Development forum part of the Shaiya Private Server category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Basic Graphics Tut

Basic Color Theory

The Color Wheel

Primary Colors: Red, yellow and blue
In traditional color theory (used in paint and pigments), primary colors are the 3 pigment colors that can not be mixed or formed by any combination of other colors. All other colors are derived from these 3 hues.

Secondary Colors: Green, orange and purple
These are the colors formed by mixing the primary colors.

Tertiary Colors: Yellow-orange, red-orange, red-purple, blue-purple, blue-green & yellow-green
These are the colors formed by mixing a primary and a secondary color. That's why the hue is a two word name, such as blue-green, red-violet, and yellow-orange.

Color Harmony
In visual experiences, harmony is something that is pleasing to the eye. It engages the viewer and it creates an inner sense of order, a balance in the visual experience. When something is not harmonious, it's either boring or chaotic. At one extreme is a visual experience that is so bland that the viewer is not engaged. The human brain will reject under-stimulating information. At the other extreme is a visual experience that is so overdone, so chaotic that the viewer can't stand to look at it. The human brain rejects what it can not organize, what it can not understand. The visual task requires that we present a logical structure. Color harmony delivers visual interest and a sense of order.

In summary, extreme unity leads to under-stimulation, extreme complexity leads to over-stimulation. Harmony is a dynamic equilibrium.

Analogous colors

Analogous colors are any three colors which are side by side on a 12 part color wheel, such as yellow-green, yellow, and yellow-orange. Usually one of the three colors predominates.

Complementary colors

Complementary colors are any two colors which are directly opposite each other, such as red and green and red-purple and yellow-green. In the illustration above, there are several variations of yellow-green in the leaves and several variations of red-purple in the orchid. These opposing colors create maximum contrast and maximum stability.

Color based on Nature.
Use nature as your basis. Chemistry has a tendency to form perfect combinations that soothe the eye. So just choose an ice cream sundae and recolor your gear to that!

RULES FOR EDITING GEARS:
Rule I. Never give black a hue/tone. Black stays black (Or in the left range of White - Black).
Rule II. Never use highlights. Highlights give a gloss effect even when alpha shine is off. They also do not fit Shaiya's background and hurt people's eyes.
Rule III. Design style should suite the game.
Rule IV. Keep it Simple.
Rule V. Go Easy on Effects. Don't have more than 2/3 colors in a set.
Rule VI. Create Balance. Don't have an offset set of gear. Make sure that it looks cool with just one piece.

If this tut goes well i might make more advanced ones with color combinations and some cool photoshop effects to use on gear

Credits go to Jill Morton
Thanks
3 Users
Old 09/19/2012, 06:30   #2

Thanks, but no thanks. Your intentions here are great and all...and the information is valid but...
This isn't so much a tutorial as a dish of copypasta from

I'm not going to question the quality of the information here since it's pretty much correct, but it doesn't seem like you really made any effort to bring anyone this info since all you did was copypaste some stuff and slap on some bolded text.
If it's in your capability to create an "advanced" guide like you mentioned, it should have been in your capability to use your own words and visual guides in this one - maybe something more in-depth and elaborate because as it is now, it's not only not yours, but it's also awfully generic and doesn't offer more information than what I learned in my 7th grade art class.
The images and words on colormatters.com are copyrighted to the creator (says so at the bottom of the page) so I'd consider giving this guide of yours a revamp if I were you.
Thanks
8 Users
Old 09/19/2012, 13:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaries View Post
Thanks, but no thanks. Your intentions here are great and all...and the information is valid but...
This isn't so much a tutorial as a dish of copypasta from

I'm not going to question the quality of the information here since it's pretty much correct, but it doesn't seem like you really made any effort to bring anyone this info since all you did was copypaste some stuff and slap on some bolded text.
If it's in your capability to create an "advanced" guide like you mentioned, it should have been in your capability to use your own words and visual guides in this one - maybe something more in-depth and elaborate because as it is now, it's not only not yours, but it's also awfully generic and doesn't offer more information than what I learned in my 7th grade art class.
The images and words on colormatters.com are copyrighted to the creator (says so at the bottom of the page) so I'd consider giving this guide of yours a revamp if I were you.
I do give my credit to Jill Morton, she did teach me color theory and i sent her en email asking for permission to reupload her Color Theory guide. (which she agreed upon)
I only did this to help the players, and Klar as you would know this, Color Theory is just a basic that can't be changed no matter what words you use. Hence forth, at the very bottom i said im releasing a version II, which will be a more advanced tut made by only me, showing the contrast between colors i.e. Armor vs. Hue and some Photoshop tutorials of how those effects work.

But hey go ahead and hate if you want Sharing info on this one.
Old 09/19/2012, 15:12   #4

Right, color theory will always be the same no matter what your wording is. But it is rather unimpressive that you didn't take the time to explain, as you said yourself, basic stuff, in your own words. Honestly I get the feeling, with this post, you're just piggybacking on the work of others. Whether or not you have permission from the author won't change that.

If you have permission that's well and good, but it probably would have been better to mention that first. Having to be called out on it before you remember to give proper credit looks really bad and is wide open for misinterpretation.
I'll take back the comment about using copyrighted material, but my opinion still stands. Sorry if you sorely misinterpret it as "hating", even though all I said was that it isn't yours. After all, I can't "hate on" someone's work if it isn't actually their work.

Well I'm done with that. I only wanted to get it out there that this is not your work, because you didn't do it until I brought it up. I see no need to further derail this thread since my mission is accomplished.

And good day to you!
Thanks
3 Users
Old 09/19/2012, 19:29   #5

Quote:
Rule V. Go Easy on Effects. Don't have more than 2/3 colors in a set.
/disagree with that

Thanks
5 Users
Old 09/19/2012, 21:04   #6

elite*gold: 10
Received Thanks: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
/disagree with that

me too aveline ö.ö!
Old 09/20/2012, 00:25   #7

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,977
Sorry Teddy, but I don't like that set at all
Old 09/21/2012, 11:42   #8

elite*gold: 23
Hmm Not that bad actually John , But its colorful ;D , I hate the helmet and top but pants/guant/boot look awesome.

~Sindacco~
Old 09/21/2012, 13:55   #9

well the gear was intended to bodify the rainbow so it actually matches very well
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/21/2012, 18:15   #10

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by -FeaRs- View Post
Hmm Not that bad actually John , But its colorful ;D , I hate the helmet and top but pants/guant/boot look awesome.

~Sindacco~
Where did I say it was a bad recolor? I said I don't like it, for this game I simply don't like colorful gears, because they don't match on the definition of Shaiya
Old 09/21/2012, 22:46   #11

re

basicly they dont match thats right john but it matches with the ideas of what the server is build so it matches atleast to my server not to all ofc and not all will like it aswell everyone got his own oppion
Old 09/26/2012, 11:06   #12

All stuff aside about origin of material , I am glad this was posted. Whacked out, colorful gear may be fun , but I bet most players wouldn't want to run around looking like a skittles mashup.
That being said, when it comes to creativity , there shouldn't be a limit , but remember , your marketability of your server could be affected when you go nuts with the rainbow .
Subtle is better . And I don't think anyone yet has come close to Klaries work :

Just my humble opinion .

But keep on my friends , have fun with it!
Thanks
3 Users
Old 09/26/2012, 13:34   #13

they look nice so fr but there are alot good ones that can recolour the gears very well and even can create totaly new gears that havent existed till yet and thats what i rly call immagination ans skill.
Old 09/26/2012, 13:50   #14

Hmm i dont like those too much, cause it's whether armor looks good or not is a VERY personal opinion. I totally dislike the colors used here (gold and dark silver x_x), and also i understand that you like them.

As i said its a personal opinion whether gear looks good or not, colorful gear can also look good if it's well made - what we're arguing with here however, is not people's opinions, but the statement not to use more than 2/3 colors, which we disagree with. Thats all
Old 09/26/2012, 14:32   #15

Received Thanks: 1,066
The Daynorth recolor was one of my favorite things on X o.o...just saying.
I personally prefer dark colors on things.
Black and red are my favorite combinations :3
Blue and black look pretty cool too if the blue is a nice dark shade.
I also think that dark colors suit Shaiya better than light colors.
Despite the landscape look for lights the overall game theme is pretty dark.
Yet not too hard to change if you take the time to do it :P
Thanks
5 Users