Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Shaiya > Shaiya Private Server
You last visited: Today at 15:10

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Yet another post about updater

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Yet another post about updater

Yes guys, after reading post after post after tutorial after guide i can't get this updater to work... what's worse is it WAS working perfectly...until i changed web-hosts. I have placed the /Shaiya directory & all containing files in the exact same root directory as my previous host, with same UpdateVersion.ini , CONFIG.ini in root & everything... but still i am getting "Download Failed: Read Profilec08" which when you search c08 in the hex of the updater refers to UpdateVersion.ini

but to be certain i wasnt making some error i took an OS updater and totally recreated it in HxD and again checked all my website directories & info in the .ini but still same issue...

also to n avail i have checked the file read/write permissions in the /Shaiya update directory...

ANY ideas at all why this is happening? I am stuck

Old 03/19/2012, 09:37   #2

Received Thanks: 1,239
What web host are you using? They could be the issue. You need to make sure it can read UpdateVersion.ini, and download the .patch files.

With IIS, you have to set the MIME types, I don't know how to do this in Apache, though google will surely show you.

Also, wrong section. Post in the parent to this forum.

Mime Types:
File ExtensionMIME Type
.initext/plain
.patchapplication/octet-stream

Thanks
1 User
Old 03/19/2012, 10:11   #3

my bad on the section, plz move it if you need to John

my host is arvixe & i believe is IIS.. i do have a section in my cpanel for mime type configuration but know little about that particular setting so never messed with it. will give this a shot tyvm RB

Edit: was very excited & thought this was the answer for sure, i did set the MIME types for those 2 items but still a c08 error. ty still Rebecca ^^

i will keep trying, i have to lol... & will keep checking back here, but for now sleep
Old 03/19/2012, 10:54   #4

If your host has you set on cPanel, it isn't IIS. Enkompass, maybe, which is by the same company. However, I believe cPanel is still a non-Windows friendly application.

Thanks
1 User
Old 03/19/2012, 15:50   #5

Received Thanks: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviL125 View Post
Edit: was very excited & thought this was the answer for sure, i did set the MIME types for those 2 items but still a c08 error.
of course error is still there, and this is not irony, let's explain:

the mime type is used by *browsers* to know how a specific stream must be handled; relying only on file extension is not enough (on classical file system it shows all its bad limits) so the type defines a kind of content and that content is managed by an application, a browser extension or natively by the browser itself.

but we are dealing with the shaiya updater ... not a browser, that updater does use a HTTP protocol to download file but it doesn't care about MIME settings.

(btw, update files are downloaded as .zip file, not .patch files; they are expanded as .patch files locally).

so, where is your issue ? here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviL125
it WAS working perfectly...until i changed web-hosts
you did change them wrongly, no need to look further.
the error is certainly an address not starting at right offset or not ending with a \0 (they are C-string!).
Thanks
2 Users
Old 03/19/2012, 16:33   #6

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,928
#Moved to the right section
Old 03/19/2012, 19:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by -III- View Post
If your host has you set on cPanel, it isn't IIS. Enkompass, maybe, which is by the same company. However, I believe cPanel is still a non-Windows friendly application.
sorry i didn't mean it was actually a linux cPanel was just meaning that as short for control panel it is a windows asp.net host using IIS. bad explanation on my part

Quote:
Originally Posted by castor4878 View Post
you did change them wrongly, no need to look further. the error is certainly an address not starting at right offset or not ending with a \0 (they are C-string!).
I'm not sure i understand, I have gone over my addresses several times over, and considering my domain name has now moved to the new host they should actually be exactly the same as I've placed the directories in the same folder structure they were in when the updater worked. in fact the small html page that makes up the background of the new updater is loading perfectly...showing the address there is correct too, just wont update...always Read Profilec08

posted ss of hex, masking site name for security reasons. hope it can still help

Old 03/21/2012, 01:07   #8

Edit:

ok guys, after all i've gone through the smallest (yet invisible) thing wound up being the problem here, so let this be a lesson to anyone else having an issue like this.

My UpdateVersion.ini had some hidden bytes in it (simply put spaces instead of empty) which made the filesize 68 rather than 65 bytes... so be sure that the empty lines are truly empty.

I feel a bit sheepish but not too badly since it was invisible lol. TY again to those who tried to assist
Old 03/21/2012, 21:37   #9

Can anyone tell me why the patch will go through the download and file complete process but not install the changes?
Old 03/23/2012, 16:56   #10

BUMP!
Old 06/22/2012, 09:47   #11

i have same problem... the patch will go through the download and file complete process but not install the changes
please teachme.

« Periodical Disconnects | Just a "Small Question" »