Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Rohan
You last visited: Today at 21:19

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

[Discuss] Hero skills or not?

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[Discuss] Hero skills or not?

Heya, We'r almost done with our Rohan server, and I wanted to ask your opinion on whether you would play a server with Hero skills or without? ^^

Please share your opinion with a reply, thanks!

Old   #2

no hero skills and x15-20 would be best i think

Old   #3

Most places I have visited with hero skills also had huge imbalances across classes - and lots of player complaints because of them. It is really difficult to balance classes when hero skills magnify the effects of boss drops and enhanced accessories. As well some of the hero skills (beyond the heroic power) make already overpowered classes even more so.
Old   #4

Balance is something I want to achieve in rohan, ^^

I've also played rohan in the past, and yes they do make some OP classes a bit more OP, Im thinking to take them out for now, then re-enable with a better balance in future, rework them in a way....

Old   #5

I really wish you luck in your attempt to balance Rohan. There is only one person I know of that even came close to that and even then the results never satisfied everyone.

Disabling hero skills to start, at least until you get a firm majority agreeing on the balance and then adding them may work for you.

Balancing classes in Rohan is like herding cats. Good luck with it!
Old   #6

I am actually game design student IRL, so designing balancing the game is what I'm trying to attempt in my servers

Have setup pretty good balance in my LC server, except the hackers ruining it, but anti-hack almost done on that too
Old   #7

no hero skills, no crafting just make a server before the gaints update
Old   #8

You should also make the level cap 99 as well because it's how the game was originally designed. Giving away extra skill points just serves to remove the unique variety that you get with skill builds and the 98 SP limit. This also removes the need for glacials. They're too OP anyway with base stats that are higher than the standard scaling.

Therein lies another problem, endgame content. Classic Rohan is great as we all know but it will be limiting to some. Also with a level cap of 99 you need lower exp rates otherwise people are just going to get there too fast and have nothing to do.

What I started experimenting with was the spread of the stat assignments and how the RNG rolls affect what stat amount you get. What I was trying to do is to get a more even stat spread instead of the 1-8% then the jump to max stat. That way you could roll 10, 11, 12 or 13% on an item that has a max of 14%. One of the advantages of that is creating a much more diverse range of gear and an expanded economy where near-max stat items have use and value while the max statted gear is the cream of the crop.

It's also possible to have many other stats types drop on gear, for example you can make pdef appear on weapons, % save arrow, damage drop etc. Basically any option type can be added as a dropable attribute. It's extremely complicated to add this into the RNG system for the correct stat amounts and roll chance though. It's also not something I have the time or desire to fully explain unfortunately.

You could then have quests and rewards where max stat gear along with those with unique and special stats are given out, without then being OP of course. Max stat should be left as something which is very difficult to obtain and only the top 5% of the players (if that) should be carrying max stat gear while the rest sit in the 40-50% range.

Forging is also another issue. If the rates aren't high enough players will complain incessantly, if they're too high then the farming aspect of the game becomes too easy. However what if forging could be set at a low rate but the gear would never break? First off you need to alter the combine protector guild buff to provide 100% preservation rate, apply that skill type to a buff scroll then hey presto you have a preservation scroll. Sell it in the NPC type that sells scrolls for 1 crone then everyone has 100% preservable forging.

Then what you do is set rare/unique forges to have a crone cost which will be the limiting factor towards forging the item. It's up to you to decide what the appropriate cost will be and the success rates. It's worth noting that I'm not sure if the crone cost works in the Hero server but I do know that it did work pre-Hero.

The only drawback to this is that ancient forges can't be set to have a crone cost and of course you have those preservation scrolls running. I tried to change the itemtype needed to complete the forge from an accessory to something else but nothing worked. I would imagine it's also locked into the mapserver/client somewhere. It's up to someone else to come up with the answer.

Unfortunately these types of changes will take anyone a very long time to carry out properly and I'm not sure this game has enough life left in it or even if the changes would go down well with players. At this stage of the game everyone has been there and done that and just want to wear the best gear asap so the only way to combat that is new more powerful gear, then powercreep, then imbalance, then back to square one.

It's always nice to have a vision though. Set yourself out some ideas and see if you can get hold of any trusted people to help with server and bin edits. Try to be unique and keep an eye on balance and you could come up with a decent "pvp" server
Old   #9

^ word ^
Old   #10

Max Cap 110 (upgraded 99cap) with some hero feature but no hero skill

Ronelia and Water Temple Garden (WTG boss will drop random costume and some I.M items)
Max mobs level 100-110
(The said map will drop glacial parts, insurgents and mind & body stone)

Fused Pets will now be available
Working Custom Magic Shop

SS ingame
You must register and activate your account in order to view images.

What do you think with my idea before in ion rohan? i put some upgrade like these features.
Old   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtaria View Post
I tried to change the itemtype needed to complete the forge from an accessory to something else but nothing worked. I would imagine it's also locked into the mapserver/client somewhere.
The trick is to jugle with the Entity, Type and Description.
I never tried it, but i'm fairly certain that only one of those need to be set to Option Stone.

As for the other things you mentioned, i'll quote Apple Store : "There's an app for that". Well, not really, but it can be made.

Cheers, and waiting for you to come back ^^
Old   #12

I tried almost everything I could think of Req but nothing I did would allow changes, even changed the entity to make weapons use option stones and armour to accessories with no luck so it's also locked up outside of the bins

I don't think I'll be back unfortunately. Got everything backed up neatly just in case I do get my life back to myself at some point though By that time it looks like there will be no community left to run a Rohan server.
Old   #13

Another retarded old geek who thinks he did something in his life.. Pathetic
Old   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1cer10 View Post
My hater meter has detected a touch of of jealousy there.

Old   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1cer10 View Post
Hi how's it going? Would you like any sugar with that cup of hate?