Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Rappelz
You last visited: Today at 23:03

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Stop Making Repacks!

Discussion on Stop Making Repacks! within the Rappelz forum part of the MMORPGs category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Stop Making Repacks!

Creating repacks makes it extremely difficult for other users and developers to apply updates.

(A rough idea of what updating a TrinityCore server for World of Warcraft is like and my thoughts on how it should/would work for Rappelz)

1. You download files from a repository that contains all the necessary server files (such as LUA files, SQL files, source files, guides, etc.)
2. The user can pick and chose what they want to install based on the changes.
3. SQL updates/files:
  • Upon database creation, a table named "DBVersion" is created with the column (example) "SQL_FROM_V0_TO_V1" for the filename "sql_update_v0_to_v1".
  • When the user runs the next file in the sequence, say "sql_update_v1_to_v2", the column is dropped and recreated as "SQL_FROM_V1_TO_V2".
  • If the user tries to run a random file (for example "sql_update_v54_to_v55") when the current column is "SQL_FROM_V1_TO_V2", an error will be given and any updates won't be run. This ensures that the user MUST have the latest DB version before executing newer updates.

4. LUA files need a small text file documenting each change. If it is a small edit, a series of line numbers affected should be included. If the edit was much larger (rendering it entirely unrecognizable to the previous script or rewritten from scratch), it should be noted.

Check out and - they're both wonderful sites!
Old 08/09/2011, 11:02   #2

Yes, but... as far as the people that want to make servers on this forum goes.... they don't know how to do that separate, so repacks are the only way to let them do it... -_-'
Old 08/09/2011, 11:15   #3

True, Night. Very True. At the same time, Kale's Suggestion is more useful for those who have more experience of course. Which is what kale is referring too.
Old 08/09/2011, 15:14   #4

I agree with Kale.
repository is the best option cause you can choose what to update. In my case, i changed drops rules, cards, skills. So, a repack will vanish all my changes.
repository ftw
Old 08/09/2011, 15:41   #5

Received Thanks: 2,458
Actually guys. I have to inform you NCArbon has already implemented the beginnings of an auto update system. Which I actually used already, it's not the best or the fastest but it's promising. I tend to agree with Kale, Updates should be uniform and no go about changing most of the layout. As I spent several hours correcting the contact_scripts in the newest updates and several other key features to keep my custom content.
Old 08/09/2011, 15:59   #6

Same here. Good thing I keep all my changes as seperate sql files so I can just execute them to get all my custom content back, yet I still needed to backup alot of tables. Quite time consuming.
Old 08/09/2011, 16:06   #7

Received Thanks: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma014 View Post
Same here. Good thing I keep all my changes as seperate sql files so I can just execute them to get all my custom content back, yet I still needed to backup alot of tables. Quite time consuming.
Yea, we like to ***** about it but we all know it's fun. I work from the home. I build 'Stand-Alone Gaming Rigs' for 'Professional Gamers' so I have a lot of free time, this keeps me from getting bored.
Old 08/09/2011, 16:30   #8

There should be a Public Subversion for stable releases and a private one for unstable commits to a trunk. This project should actually be Open-source.
Old 08/10/2011, 01:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflcopterGoesSoiSoiSoi View Post
Creating repacks makes it extremely difficult for other users and developers to apply updates.

(A rough idea of what updating a TrinityCore server for World of Warcraft is like and my thoughts on how it should/would work for Rappelz)

1. You download files from a repository that contains all the necessary server files (such as LUA files, SQL files, source files, guides, etc.)
2. The user can pick and chose what they want to install based on the changes.
3. SQL updates/files:
  • Upon database creation, a table named "DBVersion" is created with the column (example) "SQL_FROM_V0_TO_V1" for the filename "sql_update_v0_to_v1".
  • When the user runs the next file in the sequence, say "sql_update_v1_to_v2", the column is dropped and recreated as "SQL_FROM_V1_TO_V2".
  • If the user tries to run a random file (for example "sql_update_v54_to_v55") when the current column is "SQL_FROM_V1_TO_V2", an error will be given and any updates won't be run. This ensures that the user MUST have the latest DB version before executing newer updates.

4. LUA files need a small text file documenting each change. If it is a small edit, a series of line numbers affected should be included. If the edit was much larger (rendering it entirely unrecognizable to the previous script or rewritten from scratch), it should be noted.

Check out and - they're both wonderful sites!
your a fccking idiot . WoW was a lot easyer to do you noob & you can update repacks on WoW & trinity is fail .
Old 08/10/2011, 01:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany87 View Post
your a fccking idiot . WoW was a lot easyer to do you noob & you can update repacks on WoW & trinity is fail .
Lets re-cap. Kale makes a good suggestion. Instead of making a useful post you insult kale. Please gtfo and try again.
Old 08/10/2011, 01:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany87 View Post
Made me so hard.