Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Rappelz > Rappelz Private Server
You last visited: Today at 06:59

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Ncarbon repack, it is used on a server other than SQL-Server?

Discussion on Ncarbon repack, it is used on a server other than SQL-Server? within the Rappelz Private Server forum part of the Rappelz category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Ncarbon repack, it is used on a server other than SQL-Server?

Hello, I wonder if we can set up the database on Ncarbon1.3: ubuntu, for example, or other? and do not use windows sql
Old 01/03/2012, 20:41   #2

elite*gold: -500
If you install MSSQL on Ubuntu then you can set up the database without troubles
Old 01/03/2012, 20:41   #3

Received Thanks: 2,458
Unless you're prepared to create a MS SQL Clone that operates for the UNIX Shell and create all the needed dll's for WINE to run the gameserver and even at that pace good luck because there is going to be a TON! of issues and incompatibilities. Though the topic does warrant investigation but none of us would make the grandiose claim that we could 'Make Server Run on Linux'
Old 01/03/2012, 20:52   #4

i think this Feature would be very good on the Emu i mean the multi OS support the Database would be an easy thing to convert it to MS-SQL
Old 01/04/2012, 05:44   #5

Emu is being done in C# right?
Maybe Mono can run it. A stretch, but who knows? The database is still MSSQL though.
Old 01/04/2012, 11:42   #6

Received Thanks: 3,458
To change the DB-System to MySQL wouldn't be a problem.
Just to get a .exe working on Linux (I never used Linux, so correct me if i'm wrong).
Old 01/04/2012, 12:48   #7

elite*gold: -500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xijezu View Post
To change the DB-System to MySQL wouldn't be a problem.
Just to get a .exe working on Linux (I never used Linux, so correct me if i'm wrong).
Speaking on myself i made the the exe working on linux but I'm facing a problem translating MSSQL to MySQL it's kinda harder
Old 01/04/2012, 13:22   #8

Received Thanks: 3,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Archer View Post
Speaking on myself i made the the exe working on linux but I'm facing a problem translating MSSQL to MySQL it's kinda harder
Well, when the Open Source-Emu comes out, ...
I really have no Idea how Pyrok coded it, so I can't say how hard it is to code it for MySQL.

But I can say: It is possible, and it is not that much work.

I already "translated" the Source from another game from MySQL to MS-SQL which was coded in C#, so...
Old 01/04/2012, 13:48   #9

Received Thanks: 2,458
Well now I have to say MSSQL would be best on it's own machine. If you could get the herlock running stable on Linux just link Herlock out to a dedicated MSSQL Machine. With the current herlock I would not even attempt to convert from MS SQL to MySQL
Old 01/04/2012, 18:24   #10

In theory the emu will support any db without code changes. In reality there is one class that may need to be modified to support another db. The rest of the db code uses the generic interfaces (DbConnection, DbCommand, etc instead of MSSQL-specific versions).
Old 01/05/2012, 06:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismokedrow View Post
Well now I have to say MSSQL would be best on it's own machine. If you could get the herlock running stable on Linux just link Herlock out to a dedicated MSSQL Machine. With the current herlock I would not even attempt to convert from MS SQL to MySQL
This makes sense. SQL Server, much like evry other MS product is designed to work tightly with Windows. I'm not too familiar with its architecture, but I'm pretty sure it's granted fairly low-level acess to the OS, "optimizing" its performance. It's the case for Visual Studio, and even Office, so I don't see why SQL Server would be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrok View Post
In theory the emu will support any db without code changes. In reality there is one class that may need to be modified to support another db. The rest of the db code uses the generic interfaces (DbConnection, DbCommand, etc instead of MSSQL-specific versions).
This is very good news for the OSS enthusiasts out there. I'm pretty much stuck with MS because of my work, but Linux is a much better choice for servers. And modifying one class is much less work than doing the WINE song and dance to get the current server files working. Or at least it should be.