Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 17:37

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Dark Age of Camelot PServer setup

Discussion on Dark Age of Camelot PServer setup within the Private Server Advertising forum part of the Private Server category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Allright, here comes my guide to the Dark Age of Camelot emulator named DOL.
This guide features one short explanation in case you dont really care about the actual emulator and just want to get yourself ready to go, and one significantly longer one that features checking out the latest source from the DOL repo, compiling it, its config (XML, MySQL and the finding of databases).

What I am not going to answer is questions about programming and C#.

At first, make sure your router is forwarding ports 10300 and 10400 both UPD and TCP, else noone else will be able to connect to you.

For the lazy ones of you, people have made so called pre made serverpacks, which means they already have databases and some special things that the builds supplied by DOL do no have.
However, most of those packages are incredibly out of date and will (!!) stop being able to receive connections once DAoC updates to 1.85 (if not earlier).

To be honest, I tend to avoid pre made things because the people who made them usually are pretty clueless about what theyre doing, anyways package looks promising.
Download and extract it in some folder, doesnt really matter which one, I chose H:/guide/Troglart (matter of fact, Troglart is the one who made the package you are just extracting, credits go to him).

When you go to that folder, youll see one SRC and one BIN folder, apparently the author has included the sourcecode of his package for you to change and recompile, but youre lazy, so well skip that.
Navigate to the BIN/confid folder and open serverconfig.xml in your texteditor of choice, I chose notepad for simplicity.

As you see, the rootdirectory does not fit the one you chose, so change it as in the following screenshot.

If you have done this, go back to the BIN folder and doubleclick start.bat, if you have done everything correctly, the server should load up and others should be able to connect.

In case you dont know how to connect to a Dark Age of Camelot freeshard or are waiting for an explanation on admincommands, I will provide you with an explanation further down.

Note: I wont tell you how to run a premade server pack with MySQL, neither will I give any more support than the one above.

Now we get to the knitty gritty, getting a fresh build of DOL sourcecode from their SVN repo, compiling it, setting it up with both XML and MySQL and grabbing some databases for it. Should you not be interested in emulator development, the C# language and DOL itself, skip this.

First of all, you should download and install . Once the installation finished, move to where you would like to have it check out the sourcecode and rightclick, then select SVN Checkout.

Enter and make sure Head Revision is selected, then click OK.

After that, watch it check out.

Now you need to compile the sourcecode you just downloaded, if youre reading this you should already know how to, nontheless Im gonna try to walk you trough it. My compiler/IDE of choice is Microsoft Visual C# Express, its totally free and very reliable, so Im going to ask you to download it from .
Again, no help on the installation, once youre done open Visual C# and click Open Project.

Navigate to where youve checked the source out to and double click on Dawn of Light.sln.

Should load a little, after the loading process go to Build and click Build Solution.

Once the build process finished, you should find a new folder called release in your chosen directory.

Go there and create a new textfile (rightclick, new -> textfile) containing the following:
Code:
dolserver.exe --start
Save it and rename it from .txt to .bat. Windows should now prompt you something about losing data, just click Yes.

Now doubleclick the .bat, if done correctly the server should load up. Wait for it to finish loading and when it says Gameserver open for connection, write exit in the console and hit Enter. Now it should close, but youll notice that the server created some folders for you.

Once again, go to the config folder. This is the moment to decide wether to go for XML or MySQL databases. In general, XML will make it easier for you to find databases as more people (newbies) are using it, should your intention be to host a server for you and your friends or just to test things out, there is no reason to go for MySQL databases. However, if youre planning to run a freeshard I strongly advice you to go for MySQL databases since they are alot faster.
Matter of fact, XML does not need any extra configuration, you are now to get some databases. Being a lazy fuck, I just took the ones provided with the server packet above. If you are not statisfied with it, feel free to look for your own using the links below the guide. However, is the link, download and extract the dbs into your xml_db folder.

Start the server (remember the .bat?) and voila, youve successfully managed to set up a DAoC emulator using XML.
---
Quite alot of text, Ill take a break on here and go on tomorrow.
Things you may expect is an explanation on MySQL and DOL, admincommands and a linklist.
Old 07/27/2006, 05:21   #2

Just in case.
/edit1: Should you find errors, tell me.
Should you have suggestions on how to make this better to read, tell me.
Anything else? You may end up telling me ;<
/edit2: And of course the how to connect thingi.
Suggestions are welcome.
Old 05/15/2009, 09:04   #3

the link for the ready pack you suggested is down... do you know of any other decent ready packs... im looking to start a personal lan server for my in house network... any added help you could offer would be great...
Old 06/13/2009, 19:44   #4

yeh i'm looking to get a server started as well. mostly to try and learn the commands since there are no servers that will recruit someone that hasn't been a gm before
Old 09/30/2009, 23:32   #5

error URL 'https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/dolserver/DOLSharp/branch/1.x' doesn't exist
found something that worked later
but the link for the XML databases and the MSQL databases does not work