Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Coders Den > .NET Languages
You last visited: Today at 01:26

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

SqlParameter causes slow MSSQL queries

Discussion on SqlParameter causes slow MSSQL queries within the .NET Languages forum part of the Coders Den category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 405
Received Thanks: 6,356
SqlParameter causes slow MSSQL queries

Hi,

I'm currently creating a frontend for searching information in a MSSQL database and I'm facing the problem that it is so slow when I use a statement with placeholders and SqlParameter, that it runs into a timeout. Using the variable directly (string.Format, which is of course prone to SQL-Injection attacks) is fast, so I'm guessing it has to do with the SqlParameter.

The database has the following format and contains about 115.000.000 entries:
Code:
CREATE TABLE ExampleTable (
	ID INT NOT NULL,
	Name VARCHAR(128) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
	Class CHAR(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'M',
	PRIMARY KEY (ID)
);
The tips I found while browsing the Internet basically consisted of those two things:
  1. Set ArithAbort ON
  2. Use explicit datatypes for the SqlParameter
So my code currently looks like this (simplified):

Code:
string searchName = "%SomeValue%";

SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(string.Format("Data Source={0};Database={1};Trusted_Connection=true", CONNECTION_SERVER, CONNECTION_DATABASE));
connection.Open();
new SqlCommand("SET ARITHABORT ON;", connection).ExecuteNonQuery();

using (SqlCommand command = new SqlCommand("SELECT TOP 100 ID, Name FROM dbo.ExampleTable WHERE Name LIKE [at]Name;", connection)) // Replace [at] with @, Elitepvpers replaces it with some [mention] tag
{
	command.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("Name", SqlDbType.VarChar, 128)).Value = searchName;
	List<ExampleClass> names = new List<ExampleClass>();
	using (SqlDataReader reader = command.ExecuteReader()) // This is where the timeout occurs.
	{
		while (reader.Read())
		{
			names.Add(new ExampleClass((int)reader[0], (string)reader[1]));
		}
	}
	// Do something with List<ExampleClass> names.
}
But if I do the following instead it is fast:
Code:
// ...
using (SqlCommand command = new SqlCommand(string.Format("SELECT TOP 100 ID, Name FROM dbo.ExampleTable WHERE Name LIKE '{0}';", searchName), connection))
// ...
I also tried setting all the other variables a SqlCommand can be constructed with with no change to the outcome.

Do you have any more tips what I can do?
Thanks in advance,
Mi4uric3
Old 01/09/2017, 16:40   #2

elite*gold: 0
Use prepared SQL Statements or NHibernate as framework

Tags
arithabort, slow, sqlcommand, sqlparameter, varchar