Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Other Online Games > Minecraft
You last visited: Today at 11:52

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[LINUX] How to setup a Minecraft Server (Screenshots / noob friendly)

Discussion on [LINUX] How to setup a Minecraft Server (Screenshots / noob friendly) within the Minecraft forum part of the Other Online Games category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 17
Received Thanks: 1,223
Exclamation [LINUX] How to setup a Minecraft Server (Screenshots / noob friendly)

Requirements:
  • A Linux machine [VPS/DEDICATED SERVER]
  • Internet Connection
  • (Allows you to connect via SSH to your Linux machine

Before we begin, this is REALLY targeted at the audience who are NOT familiar with Linux in general.

1) Login to your Linux machine, and go ahead and run the command:
Code:
which java

(On this machine, there is no Java installed.. So let's go ahead and install Java)

1A) Installing Java

Run this command:
Code:
yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk
This will install Java 1.6.
Let it's do its thing, it will ask you sometime for your permissions to install, just answer with "y" for yes.

1B) Alright, Java is installed - let's go check now.

Use the command:
Code:
 which java
Alright, it's now telling me where Java is located (and for me it's /usr/bin/java/).

Then use
Code:
/usr/bin/java/ -version
(Yes I am aware it states 1.4.2 for my Java version, these screenshots were taken before I noticed it ; I correct myself later on in the tutorial, but did not feel like making another screen shot and uploading the image again - so don't be confused)

You NEED 1.6.

2) Alright, now lets make a directory just for Minecraft.
Code:
mkdir minecraft

3) Now lets jump ourselves into the newly created minecraft directory ;
Code:
cd minecraft

4) Now lets download the .jar file for Minecraft.
Code:
wget http://minecraft.net/download/minecraft_server.jar

5) Now all we have to do is run the server.
Code:
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

6) You should now see this screen:

top:

AquaStern
Old 11/19/2010, 17:35   #2

elite*gold: 0
copy & paste ftw

btw. schreib mal quelle hin