Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Mabinogi
You last visited: Today at 10:26

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Lag Fixes For Gaming

Discussion on Lag Fixes For Gaming within the Mabinogi forum part of the MMORPGs category.

Closed Thread

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Lag Fixes For Gaming

Alright, I've found some more helpful stuff to reduce lag while gaming in Vista.

Lagfix #1 Disable Nagles Algrorythm

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\…[the rest of the path goes to where the client app for your game is]

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

4. Type TcpNoDelay for the name of the DWORD, and then press ENTER. Repeat Step 3 and type TcpAckFrequency (Both are Case sensitive)

5. Right-click TcpNoDelay, and then click Modify. Repeat with TcpAckFrequency

6. In the Value data box, type 1 to turn on the Nagle algorithm socket option, or type 0 to turn off the option. Repeat for both

7. Click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.

Lagfix #2 Changing your MTU.
A common mistake is people think the lower your MTU is the better, well this is wrong. You need to find out your best MTU value, which is right before the packets fragment, mine is 1468. You want to find when the packet fragments, then add 20 to the value. To learn how, please refer to this website:

Lagfix #3 Taking Back 20% of your bandwidth
This is also commonly mistaken as being necessary, Vista only uses 20% of the bandwidth when the program that uses it is running, which is very rarely. If you still want to do so, here is instructions how to do it.

1. Open run.exe via the start menu under All Programs -> Accessories -> Run.exe.
2. Type Regedit into the box and press Enter.
3. Navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Wi ndows”. In the left pane, right-click on Windows and create a new key called “Psched“, then right click on the blank white part in the right pane and create a new “DWORD” entry by clicking the "New DWORD" option. Name it “NonBestEffortLimit” and set the value to zero to disable the reserve bandwidth.
4. Reboot your computer.

Lagfix #4 (Wireless only) Controlling Vista's Auto WLAN Configuration.
By default on Vista, wireless access points are searched for every 1 - 2 minutes, which can cause a hiccup in your internet which is very inconvenient. Disabling the WLAN Configuration will result in not being able to connect to any wireless networks, so I use a tool called "WLAN Optimizer" Google it, download and run it. Make sure Auto Configuration is turned on and it is set to start with windows in the Settings tab. That's all there is too it.

Other reasons you are experiencing problems:

1. Your router is overheating, if you have a Linksys router, the new ones that look like a space ship you need to get it up off the area it is sitting about 2 inches to allow better air flow, I use 2 stacks of CD's on either side so it sits up and still has space under it until I get some pegs to glue on it.

2. Your graphics card is overheating

3. Your graphics card isn't powerful enough to display at a decent FPS.

For problems 2 and 3 see this thread:

4. You don't have enough RAM to run your game, upgrade your RAM, I recommend having at least 3 gigs of RAM.

5. You have ISP related Latency issues, call your ISP's tech line and have them analyze your connection and dispatch a service call if needed.

If you do everything I've listed above you are bound to be lagless. I've been experiencing high latency issues for awhile now, along with 2,000ms+ spikes every minute - 2 minutes. After calling my ISP to fix my connection, overclocking my GPU, and using WLAN Optimizer I've gone from 200ms+ and only 120 kb/s Downloads to a constant to 50 - 60ms (I live in Idaho) and 400 - 500 kb/s downloads, and only running at 30fps on my GPU, now I run at 99fps (Frames Per Second).

I hope you find this thread helpful, if it all works for you give me a thanks for researching and putting this all together!
Thanks
7 Users
Old 03/06/2010, 15:41   #2

This thread is so clichè.
Old 03/06/2010, 17:07   #3

I think a thread like this was posted earlier by Xenon, non the less good.
Old 03/06/2010, 17:35   #4

His had only one or two of the lagfixes, this is more in depth.
Old 03/06/2010, 19:40   #5

isn't working.
Old 03/06/2010, 20:05   #6

Overclocking can damage your computer by overheating your computer if you tell your computer to work too hard.
It will also not fix the problem of your graphics card overheating, but it will turn your graphics card into a liquid, so I guess you could say it fixes the problem.

However, I don't think a liquidated graphics card would help that much.
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/06/2010, 20:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncreative. View Post
Overclocking can damage your computer by overheating your computer if you tell your computer to work too hard.
It will also not fix the problem of your graphics card overheating, but it will turn your graphics card into a liquid, so I guess you could say it fixes the problem.

However, I don't think a liquidated graphics card would help that much.
It's why you use ATItool to make sure you don't go over what your computer can handle.

The safest way to run it at this speed is to do what I do: Get a liquid cooling system for the tower, then you have no problem with the tower overheatin and can overclock your GPU
Old 03/06/2010, 21:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldeel View Post
It's why you use ATItool to make sure you don't go over what your computer can handle.

The safest way to run it at this speed is to do what I do: Get a liquid cooling system for the tower, then you have no problem with the tower overheatin and can overclock your GPU
You didn't post anything about that in this thread, however.

Also, I use a laptop instead of a tower, but I plan on buying a tower with a liquid cooling system sometime anyway.
I'll probably find something that lets me use my laptop's mousepad and keyboard and monitor for my desktop, since I hate anything other than a laptop keyboard and mousepad.
Old 03/06/2010, 22:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncreative. View Post
You didn't post anything about that in this thread, however.

Also, I use a laptop instead of a tower, but I plan on buying a tower with a liquid cooling system sometime anyway.
I'll probably find something that lets me use my laptop's mousepad and keyboard and monitor for my desktop, since I hate anything other than a laptop keyboard and mousepad.
Wooooah im the opposite, i hate laptop keyboards and mousepads
Old 03/07/2010, 03:10   #10

i like everything related to a computer. if i can take it apart and subject it for assimilation into my pc it works just fine
Old 03/07/2010, 04:36   #11

Wrong section of the forum.
Old 03/07/2010, 04:53   #12

Lagfix #3 Taking Back 20% of your bandwidth
This is also commonly mistaken as being necessary, Vista only uses 20% of the bandwidth when the program that uses it is running, which is very rarely. If you still want to do so, here is instructions how to do it.

thanks for this extra ima try it
Old 03/07/2010, 09:35   #13

"You want to find when the packet fragments, then add 20 to the value."

so you add the find value +20?
Old 01/24/2011, 09:45   #14

I tried this on windows vista, i have service pack 2 though and didnt seem to have worked. is it sevice pack two thats the problem or am i just doing it wrong lol
Old 01/24/2011, 20:12   #15

Necro of the GODS.

03*-07*-2010** was the last post.

* Not a double figure in sight = no "Oh, I thought it was -insert date format here-" excuse.
**That means that it was last year. Usually a good indication as to how old something is.

Knowing is half the battle.
Closed Thread