Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Mabinogi
You last visited: Today at 17:54

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

How long does it take to learn assembly?

Discussion on How long does it take to learn assembly? within the Mabinogi forum part of the MMORPGs category.

Closed Thread

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
How long does it take to learn assembly?

Hi everyone I am new here.
I am wondering how long does it take to learn assembly to the extent that I could do some dll hack by myself? (I hope it won't take me 2 years)
Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02/20/2010, 14:20   #2

It takes a programmer a few days to learn assembly to that extent, however as someone that doesn't know any programming languages, it will take you a month or so to comprehend the edits that you are making.
Your best bet is to start with low level modding and work your way up.
start with graphics edits->xml/db edits->ASM edits
The whole process of editing becomes a lot easier if you understand how the game works first.
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/20/2010, 19:58   #3

Really? It only takes days? Are you assuming that programmer already knows assembly language? I heard that assembly language is the hardest programming language to learn and will require a lot of patience. I also got a pdf book on assembly that is 1400 pages...

I have some programming experience. Not very much though.

I have played around with the xml stuff a bit. I don't think they are very useful though. (I want 100 ranged mod)
Thanks btw.
Old 02/20/2010, 20:03   #4

If you read Kevsprk's tutorial on how to modify dll's, you'll have almost an instant understanding on ASM.

Except, I didn't exactly 100% understand it until I saw pages of OP codes and what they stood for.

For example, JMP means you're jumping straight to an address without any checks.
JE means you'll jump to an address if something's equal to something.
JNZ means you'll jump to an address if something's not equal to zero.

People say it takes 2 years to understand ASM, but that's if you want to know EVERYTHING about ASM.
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/21/2010, 15:05   #5

100% ranged is patched.
Old 02/21/2010, 15:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliu0c View Post
Really? It only takes days? Are you assuming that programmer already knows assembly language? I heard that assembly language is the hardest programming language to learn and will require a lot of patience. I also got a pdf book on assembly that is 1400 pages...

I have some programming experience. Not very much though.

I have played around with the xml stuff a bit. I don't think they are very useful though. (I want 100 ranged mod)
Thanks btw.

No.

Assembly isn't the hardest language on earth. It's the hardest language to program with. It's not necessarily the hardest to learn. : )
Old 02/21/2010, 16:20   #7

Agreed, very difficult to program with.
Closed Thread