Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 04:47

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Roguelikes! Need moar!

Discussion on Roguelikes! Need moar! within the General Gaming Discussion forum part of the General Gaming category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 20
Roguelikes! Need moar!

Hello people! Recently I got into the roguelike game genre, and I loved it. Randomly generated massive worlds, endless hours of Fun, and the suspense knowing - if you die, you die for good.
Many people say that roguelikes, especially those with an ASCII engine have shitty graphics. I feel this is simply not true - most have have no graphics at all, and your imagination has all the room it needs to design the game for you. No graphics will ever beat my imagination of a dwarf slaying a dragon with it's finely crafted copper shortsword, and the dragon retches, and the dragon retches, and the dragon retches, the dragon has been slain.

First I tried Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead. The lack of graphics at first was a little confusing, but only 10 minutes into the game I got into it. Of course, had to use the wiki to figure out the controls and general game mechanics, but it was sure worth it. Spent good healthy two weeks on this game, and will be getting back to it as more and more stuff gets added.

Then there was Dwarf Fortress. Oh God have mercy on my soul. I have to say, after a lot of failure and frustration, I started to like losing over and over. Call it masochistic if you want, but it was more of a "Alright, let's see how my fort gets destroyed this time!". Loved the complexity of the game, both fortress mode and Adventurer mode. Got me hooked for two months. The detailed description of all fights and items made me feel like reading a book. I dare to say that Dwarf Fortress is a cross between a sadistic complicated videogame, and a fantasy adventure novel.

Next one on the list was DoomRL. Basically a roguelike based on doom. Which was fun, but didn't have much complexity to it, plus I tried the 0.9.9.7 version, which is a graphical release instead of the ASCII version. And while I much prefer the Dwarf Fortress' detailed descriptions of everything, the tileset graphics didn't bother me as much as I thought it will. Spent a week here, didn't get me hooked, I feel like it lacked the complexity of the two previous games.

So my question to you, dear roguelike fans, and also those just getting into the genre, do you have any suggestions of I could try? I feel the more there is in the game the better, regardless if it makes the game overly-complicated or overly-difficult *achem* dwarf fortress *achem*. ASCII graphics don't scare me off. It doesn't have to be strictly roguelike, can have some variations, like Dwarf Fortress' fortress mode.

TL/DR: Any good roguelikes you could suggest and/or share your opinions about them?

Nicht sprechen deutche, sorry!