Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Coders Den > General Coding
You last visited: Today at 10:11

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[tutorials] The Programmers Compendium

Discussion on [tutorials] The Programmers Compendium within the General Coding forum part of the Coders Den category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[tutorials] The Programmers Compendium

This is my compilation of links, tutorials, and books. I plan on expanding as I go. I just feel like sharing the list.

[Books]
The C Programming Language - Kernighan and Ritchie - -

The C++ Programming Language - Stroustrup - -
Starting Out With C++: Standard Version - Gaddis - -
The Geometry Toolbox for Graphics and Modeling - Gerald E. Farin, Dianne Hansford - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1568810741/sr=8-1/qid=1143148306/ref=sr_1_1/002-1775853-3037639?%5Fencoding=UTF8 -
Programming Windows, Fifth Edition - Charles Petzold - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157231995X/qid=1143148381/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-1775853-3037639?s=books&v=glance&n=283155 -
Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications, First Edition : A Programmer's Guide - James M. Van Verth, Lars M. Bishop - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155860863X/qid=1143148318/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-1775853-3037639?s=books&v=glance&n=283155 -

[Newbie/No Programming Experience]
-- Most commonly posted site for tutorials, decent in my opinion. It gives you a very quick and broad overview of the language.
-- Decent beginners tutorials. However, like most books they use a lot of computer terms.
-- Great site with lots of tutorials for all skill levels, when it's up that is...
- Same thing that GameTutorials.com was doing for free until they started charging you for the tutorials. The great part about this is you get them for FREE!
- Numerous tutorials that range from good to bad, and skilled to newbie.
- Links to a LOT of other tutorials that are not yet listed here.
- Site titled "Learn C++ in 21 Days"

[Intermediate]
-- Decently written OpenGL tutorials, lacks a bit of function definition but good overall, and highly linked to. He has bad coding habits, so don't copy and paste the stuff, just use it for learning.
-- Once you've learned to program, you should start developing a good programming style so other programmers dont have to decode what you're trying to say. I agree with 80% of this document, so just use it as a guideline.
- Very well written tutorials, they have a LARGE variety of them as well. Most of them are in the Demos section, they will be adding articles soon!
- Good reference for OpenGL Functions, similar setup to manpages.
- Great site, full of content, and explains OpenGL VERY well.
- More technical than the red version, and again LOTS of content.
- Contains a lot of links to informational pages on the selected subject.
- NEWLY ADDED - The DirectX version of NeHe's tutorials.
- An interesting way to teach OpenGL, havent tried it but I will soon. It's tutoring application that visually teaches you the library.
- Great DirectX tutorials, however he uses a wrapper to teach you how to use them. So it's definately not a good way to learn.
- NEWLY ADDED
- Decent place to get started on DirectX or OpenGL, coding by example, usually a bad way of learning, but thats why it's in the advanced section.
- DirectX 8 Tutorials, however they are decently written. DirectX 8 was the last version to using the old fasion BitBlt() function.
- MSDN is ALWAYS a bookmark, and should be for ANY programmer.
- OpenGL.org has a lot of resources, very helpful for OpenGL ofcourse.
- OpenGL tutorial that uses Language C.
- A LOT OF TUTORIALS!
- NEWLY ADDED

[Advanced]
- Good tutorials, and very technical.
- A lot of topics are discussed here, very informational.
- NEWLY ADDED - This one varies on skill levels, lots of advanced stuff here though.
-- Programming as a profession? Want to keep your job? This documentation will help you write unmaintainable code, so if they fire you. They will have one hell of a time trying to figure out your code.

[Video Tutorials]
* I don't really think video tutorials teach a beginning user much, but some people might be able to learn from them. So, I decided to add this section to the list. *
- Video tutorial that is split into 16 parts. The guy has a UK Accent, and is not entirely boring to listen to. Submitted by kratos15

[C/C++ IDE's] - NEWLY ADDED
- Popular free IDE for both *nix and Win32
- Another popular free IDE recommended, also if you plan on using this don't forget to download the
- The famous Java IDE can also be a C/C++ IDE with a somewhat simple plug-in installation

[Graphic Libraries] - NEWLY ADDED
- A great large listing of game hacking tutorials. Including tutorials on creating trainers in C/C++ as well as a few other hacks.

[i]*** There is a variety of Game/Graphic Developement Engines and Libraries, I will just list a few that I have found ***

[Graphic Libraries]
- Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) - Quick and easy to learn 2D Library, that also works very well with OpenGL
- Allegro - A lot like SDL, but not as "clean" as SDL

[Game/Graphic Engines]
- Object-oriented Graphics Rendering Engine - 3D
- Irrlicht Engine Open Source - 3D
- Some what a library and somewhat an engine - 2D
Thanks
2 Users
Old 03/09/2008, 20:20   #2

elite*gold: 10
Sieht nach einer sehr netten Sammlung aus!