Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Reviews > Game Reviews
You last visited: Today at 23:22

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Max Payne 3 Review

Discussion on Max Payne 3 Review within the Game Reviews forum part of the Reviews category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Max Payne 3 Review

The Plot
Hired by a Brazilian millionnaire to protect his family things quickly turn bad for Max and his side kick and a series of events unfold until her death and then after that the plot turns to foil a black market of organ farming.

Technical stuff
Minimum system requirements for PC:
CPU: Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ or AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ, or better
RAM: 2GB
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce 8600 GT 512MB RAM or AMD Radeon™ HD 3400 512MB RAM

The game uses the RAGE engine and the NaturalMotion Euphoria animation technology.

Combat
I like the combat in this game the slow motion bullet dodging is something different to most games. The enemies however did seem to "spam" grenades a little more than I would like however it does keep you ducking around the levels. The sensitivity options are about right and the buttons ADS etc seem to correspond with shooters so it was easy to hop from one game to another. One thing however the amount of ways you and your enemies could be shot behind cover is ridiculous in the way when they press against boxes you can shoot their spines in many places which to me feels cheap. The new "final stand" system works well in the game and is a welcome improvement but there are some glitchy moments where as you fall down your attacker is out of view which irritated me as this happened usually as I was in cover leaving me to die an unnecessary death. I found cover not quite as clingy as other games with similar systems although a few times I found my self hugging walls I didn't want to.

Textures/Graphics
This games colour scheme wasn't bright nor should it be for the most parts but I found the whole game washed in a greyish tint except for the cinematics and a jungle setting should be brighter than the monotone dark green. The graphics on this game were above average and to be honest in a brighter game I would have appreciated them more than I did. The characters had more unique faces than most games where every third peson has a twin so well done on that.

My overall opinion
Well well well, playing this series for the first time I started completely open minded not knowing of past story. This games combat is not difficult it's tedious and boring with use of the quite cool slow motion dives you can easily get through the game unscathed if you have the patience to traverse the levels of corridors and jungle paths. This linear approach to a game implies that the story will be the main attraction but no I found the story shallow for the most part I found Max's "badass" attitude irritating but his devotion to his case was a nice feature. I think this game is fun for a short while but it does start to wear down it's appeal very quickly. This game didn't have to be so linear and I would like to see more side quest through locations in the game as well I prefer adventuring around story locations more than just straight through the game.

Rating
I give this game 3/5 stars.
The game is an alright buy but nothing special.
Old 11/13/2012, 20:35   #2

elite*gold: 15
You did a short review but you did one, as a result i thank you for your post