Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Reviews > Game Reviews
You last visited: Today at 11:33

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Vindictus Review [MMORPG]

Old   #1
Sapere aude

elite*gold: 6851
The Black Market: 186/0/0
Received Thanks: 10,463
Vindictus Review [MMORPG]

Vindictus is a free-to-play non-target Action MMORPG unlike anything you have ever seen before, it features a similar gameplay style like C9 (or Divine Souls). The developer of this MMORPG is devcat and the publisher is Nexon in most of the areas (beside China).
The Source engine provides a realistic and brutal Gameplay, you are able to destroy mostly everything and you can use objects which lie around as a weapon.
The boss fights require teamwork and strategy. There are bosses which are 10 times your character's size, you will want to have the support from your party members.
There are a lot of rare drops to obtain and hundreds of equipment parts to craft. You can personalize your gear stats with Enchant Scrolls, color it via the Dye system and Fuse it with any other combination of equipment you like.

Game Details:

Developer: Devcat

Publisher: Nexon (Tiancity in china)

MMO-Type: Free2Play / Peer2peer

MMO-Genre: (non-target) Action MMORPG

Languages & Areas:

Graphic: Source Engine

Client Size: ~3.6 GB

System Requirements:

You must register and activate your account in order to view images.

The 2 Versions and their difference (Premiere VS. XE)

Premiere is the first (standard) version of Vindictus and XE is an alternative version.
XE stands for Extreme Edition and offers a slightly different gameplay. The developers implemented a jumping system, you are able to strike enemies up in the air and you execute Jump-Attacks + new XE moves (each character has its own). A combo system has been added (similar to C9). Some skills are completely changed from the Premiere Version. XE features easier bosses on normal difficulty, you will be able to see the Boss HP on any difficulty and your stamaina won't run out as fast as on the Premiere version.

The Story:

Characters:

Lann

(Quick offensive Character who uses two swords to deal damage.)

Weapon: Twin Sword / Spears

Fiona

(Defensive character who can block and strategically counter enemy attacks.)

Weapon: Longsword / Longhammer

Evie

(A character which defeats her enemies with the power of magic.)

Weapon: Staff / Scythe

Karok

(A giant barbarian which fights with pure strength.)

Weapon: Pillar / Cestus

Kai

(An archer which is using kick-skills & his bow to wipe out his enemies.)

Weapon: Shortbow - Longbow / no second weapon option

The Dungeon/Raids:

This is what makes Vindictus special, it's not an open world game like most of the MMORPG out there, it's a dungeon-based game. Most of the time you will be on a mission inside a dungeon. There are various monsters which will try to block your way, normal monsters and special monsters, you will recognize the special ones by their name (for example Stoneskin/Speedy Gnoll). Special monsters have abilities which make them harder to defeat. At the end of each dungeon you will encounter a boss monster which will be stronger than all the mobs you fought before, each boss has unique moves.

Title System & Crafting (Expertise):

Vindictus features an unique Title system which allows you to improve your stats permanently by obtaining titles through quests/boss fights/special events and a lot other ways. Collecting all the titles is a nice way to entertain yourself whenever you have nothing to do.

There are 3 ways to obtain equipement in Vindictus, the first one is to drop an equipment piece but it rarely happens. The second way is to collect craft materials and craft it at the NPCs (yes you read correct, you have to actually craft your equipment at the npcs) and the last one is to learn an expertise and craft it yourself for less craft materials than at the NPCs but you might get higher grade equipement by doing so.

Cash Shop (Depot - Avatar Shop) & Dye Shop

The cash shop in Vindictus is called Depot, it offers various items: blessing stones, Mercenary supplies (gives you a random gift/item), costumes, different kinds of runes (to fuse your items to another item or to enhance your items without a fail).
But it's not necessary to buy something from there to be a decent player, there is nothing which acts like Premium (Membership) which we know from most f2p MMOs.

You can modify your character in the Avatar Shop, for example the hair style, tattoos, make-up and several other things. There is mostly no game which allows you to work on your character's appearance as much as Vindictus does. You can make your character look like a total Hero or Creeper.

Sexy underwear (USK 16):

To personalize your equipment even more you can dye it in the dye shop or buy dye ampoules from the depot (the dye ampoules you can make yourself by buying it from the depot and these are usually more pure than the colours you are able to obtain from the dye shop).

Gameplay:

Why is the Vindictus gameplay so special? Because Vindictus is one of the first games which made a step forward and exchanged the old "click & point" system (WoW/Aion) with a new non-target combat system. You do not need to focus on one monster and spam your skills by clicking "1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4" over and over again, in Vindictus you make combos by clicking the left or right mouse button and your attacks will hit all enemies in a certain range. There are almost no skills which require a button to be casted (just the special SP skill needs to be activated by clicking the Z button). Every click-combination is a new skill, for example left left right mouse won't be the same as left right mouse. I would say it's a totally different gaming experience and refreshing.
You can do your mission on 3 different difficulties (Normal - Hard - Hero (for level 50 players or above), by doing a mission on hard or hero you not only receive more Ability Points you will as well obtain more gold/exp and drops.

Later on in the game at level 40 you will be able to obtain a transformation skill, there are 2 transformations to choose from (Paladin & Dark Knight), you will be able to join the good or dark side (don't worry you won't become a bad person by choosing Dark Knight). Transformation has 2 stages until now, the second stage accrues out of the first one and is even more powerful.

Summary:

To sum it up, it's totally worth to play Vindictus since you do not need to invest a cent to make the maximum level or to achieve proper gear.
Vindictus will for sure entertain you if you are tired of seeing the same boring gameplay in any MMO you have played before.
You can try to do solo achievements or team up with your guild mates/friends to hunt down raid bosses as 8 men party, later on there will be 25 player raids (hosted by the server itself) which will bring the game on an even higher level.
You can go to fish if you get bored of dungeons or just to relax your eyes for a bit from the stressful gamer life.
Every new update brings more game content to Vindictus, more areas to discover, more raids and more achievements to make sure you won't get tired of the game.
The only disturbing part of Vindictus is the peer2peer connection, you have to host your own dungeons which means the connection of your party mates depends on your own connection (Upload), if you have too less mb upload your party mates will lag badly and most probabaly leave.
A lot of hackers abuse the client-based (peer2peer) connection to use console hacks or bots to obtain gold/equipement on a non-legit way, Vindictus EU is handling the situation really good and takes care of most hackers in an instant but Vindictus NA seems to be overran by them.

Thank you for reading my review, i hope you enjoyed it and visit our Vindictus Section to find out more about Vindictus: Vindictus

Please leave some constructive feedback.

Regards,
Acid

Credits:
@vindictus.nexon.net
@vindictus.nexoneu.com

Thanks
25 Users
Old   #2

elite*gold: 10
Received Thanks: 1,934
Very good review, lay-out is great. Had no trouble reading it! Even for the 'skimmers' there is an option, they can just click on the part they want to read at the top of the review.

Well done Acid!

Old   #3

elite*gold: 0
Very good.Your review almost convinced me to quit Cabal and get my *** on Vindictus.10/10
Old   #4
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbilf View Post
Very good review, lay-out is great. Had no trouble reading it! Even for the 'skimmers' there is an option, they can just click on the part they want to read at the top of the review.

Well done Acid!
Thank you for your constructive feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by [GM]DeathAngel View Post
Very good.Your review almost convinced me to quit Cabal and get my *** on Vindictus.10/10
Thanks, i might write a Cabal Online Review as well if enough people care to read my first Game Review and leave some feedback.

Old   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbilf View Post
I sure will enjoy reading the whole thread + msn conversations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Αcid View Post
lol i just checked the cabal eu forum after a ~month and now he has a changed nick:

It's indeed Lord Seru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Αcid View Post
Like i told you on msn, we should make some epic thread about games-masters.com, i have a list about mostly all the GMs and their player characters beside the newest ones (because i do not play on Eu anymore) + a nice conversation from msn between a gms about the dmg hack and another conversation about alz buyers

Well to be honest I'm more interested into this
Old   #6
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by [GM]DeathAngel View Post
Well to be honest I'm more interested into this
I can't post it yet (i still need to sell one account) but i will release all the information i collected about gm.com during this summer

Anyway let's stay on-topic.
Old   #7

elite*gold: 146
Received Thanks: 9,968
Are Karok and kai already out in germany?

Didn't play for a few months...
Old   #8

elite*gold: 53
Received Thanks: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Schnittstelle View Post

Karok is available in the EU version now but it's going to take some time till we get Kai. ;O
Old   #9
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Schnittstelle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol!dus View Post
Karok is available in the EU version now but it's going to take some time till we get Kai. ;O
Yes Karok was released a few weeks ago (together with thor).

And i would say that we won't see Kai for at least half a year on our server (Vindictus Eu) but i played him for ~1 month on the korean server (feels like a Lann with a bow).
Old   #10

Received Thanks: 5,781
Decent review, very well done! Maybe gonna start to play Vindictus, too, if I'll find the time.
Old   #11

Good Review.
I played a time ago this game with friends, but the party system can be bad in some cases. If you join a party with a leader with bad Internet connection, all the party will lag. At least, if the leader quit, other person will be promoted to party leader and he can have much better connection.

Regards
Old   #12
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad' View Post
Decent review, very well done! Maybe gonna start to play Vindictus, too, if I'll find the time.
Thank you for your feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM890 View Post
Good Review.
I played a time ago this game with friends, but the party system can be bad in some cases. If you join a party with a leader with bad Internet connection, all the party will lag. At least, if the leader quit, other person will be promoted to party leader and he can have much better connection.

Regards
Indeed that's why i mentioned the peer2peer connection (client-based), you can host ~3 people with 500kb upload and ~6 with 1mb but for 8 people you need for sure 1.5mb+.
Old   #13

elite*gold: 20
I played this some time ago but the game was infested with cheaters ***-mode'ing every dungeon and botting money (macro that automatically activated cheats, teleported to boss and 1hit k.o. killed boss over and over).
That all made me quit but it has been a while (last year I think?) so is it still like that or has it improved?
Old   #14

Gute Preview.
Ich finde Vindictus ist ein sehr gutes Spiel das einzig was mich nervt ist halt das selbe hosten. In Deutschland besitzen 2/4 alle nur 6000er Leitung und deshalb macht niemand mehr Party auf und zockt alleine oder hrt sogar mit dem Spiel auf.

Schaut mal ca. Mittags rein.
Kaum jemand spielt das Spiel.
Old   #15
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyono View Post
I played this some time ago but the game was infested with cheaters god-mode'ing every dungeon and botting money (macro that automatically activated cheats, teleported to boss and 1hit k.o. killed boss over and over).
That all made me quit but it has been a while (last year I think?) so is it still like that or has it improved?
Actually there are like no cheaters lately (beside the China farmer bots) because there are no more public hacks for Vindictus Eu (but the NA version is full with them). And Nexon Eu does a good job banning all the users which do abuse consoles or other tools.

It did improve a lot and the new daily raids are challanging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysja View Post
Gute Preview.
Ich finde Vindictus ist ein sehr gutes Spiel das einzig was mich nervt ist halt das selbe hosten. In Deutschland besitzen 2/4 alle nur 6000er Leitung und deshalb macht niemand mehr Party auf und zockt alleine oder hrt sogar mit dem Spiel auf.

Schaut mal ca. Mittags rein.
Kaum jemand spielt das Spiel.
Danke,
Ja die Peer2Peer connection ist leider ein dicker negativer Punkt von Vindictus aber tot ist Vindictus sicher nicht vlt bist du auf den falschen Channels aber auf 1-10 ist immer einiges los und in meiner Gilde sind zwischen 20-40 Leut online am Tag.

Tags
action, mmorpg, non-target, review, vindictus