Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 20:02

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Help]VPS

Discussion on [Help]VPS within the EO PServer Hosting forum part of the Eudemons Online category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[Help]VPS

ok so im gonna be buying a VPS i wanna know what the best site , company is to get it from ive never dealt with this before :P
Old 09/08/2011, 05:55   #2

elite*gold: 100
I recommend ether thunder4host or dehost.
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/08/2011, 07:51   #3

I suggested None let me give u a insite on vps

VPS = ****

how come?
b/c vps is what is called virual private system or in other words take ur money and run
VPS is running from a dedicated Computer whitch ppl pay 140 - 150$ a month to run and they load 4-5 other vps on that 1 computer whitch means ur sharing bandwith with 4-5 other people and ur also sharing ur cpu, ram, diskspace they make it look like u have ur own of everythin but you dont, you will have nothing but problems whitch i have learned yet no person explained this to me whitch i wish they would have

Your best bet is to get a dedicated server whitch will cost you alot less i thought of 15$ a month is easy but wait u have to now Upgrade everytime u get 10 more players soon u will see ur spending close to 150$ a month with Lag and **** always happening gonna have to worrie about lockups and what not

I spend not 134$ a month for a dedicated server with 4CPUs 4gigs of ram 1gig Network port and running great no more problems

so my suggestion is Go striaght to a Dedicated even if that means u gotta wait a month or 2 longer my server got shot to nothing b/c of our problems and experiances with VPS and learning what we have learnt but now we are working on getting our name back b/c no one explained what i have just explained to u
Thanks
8 Users
Old 09/08/2011, 08:29   #4

Nice explanation
Old 09/10/2011, 21:46   #5

Ty shadow Greatly Appreciated
Old 09/20/2011, 00:13   #6

elite*gold: 90
Quote:
they load 4-5 other vps on that 1 computer whitch means ur sharing bandwith with 4-5 other people and ur also sharing ur cpu, ram, diskspace they make it look like u have ur own of everythin but you dont,
take a look at below link and it shows a difference betwean software that get used to emulate
depending on software it get shared or not (cpu always get shared , traffic to but ram/hd not )

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowkiller990 View Post
I suggested None let me give u a insite on vps

VPS = Crap

how come?
b/c vps is what is called virual private system or in other words take ur money and run
VPS is running from a dedicated Computer whitch ppl pay 140 - 150$ a month to run and they load 4-5 other vps on that 1 computer whitch means ur sharing bandwith with 4-5 other people and ur also sharing ur cpu, ram, diskspace they make it look like u have ur own of everythin but you dont,
you will have nothing but problems whitch i have learned yet no person explained this to me whitch i wish they would have

Your best bet is to get a dedicated server whitch will cost you alot less i thought of 15$ a month is easy but wait u have to now Upgrade everytime u get 10 more players soon u will see ur spending close to 150$ a month with Lag and crap always happening gonna have to worrie about lockups and what not

I spend not 134$ a month for a dedicated server with 4CPUs 4gigs of ram 1gig Network port and running great no more problems

so my suggestion is Go striaght to a Dedicated even if that means u gotta wait a month or 2 longer my server got shot to nothing b/c of our problems and experiances with VPS and learning what we have learnt but now we are working on getting our name back b/c no one explained what i have just explained to u
nice explanation
but before breaking vps servers down i would suggest to learn about the meaning of a vps

like you say , a vps is a Virtual Private server

or to make it short , a part of a dedicated server with his own system so you get a dedicated/virtual part of that hardware

it is true that you share the traffic with other people , same as the ram and cpu
but it is as powerfull as you like to have it , it can handle the same thing you want and it is not up to you to solve "hardware" problems or to do verry long and irritating reinstalls

vps servers can mostly be upgraded for a low cost .. dedicated servers not (to provide a example , you buy 2GB ram Dual core and pay 100$ , you want 4GB ram and you pay atleast 40$ extra for the 2GB extra ram and you still got a dual core when the Quad vps just cost 100$ with 4GB ram)

a vps is created for the small and cheaper task , a vps replace a dedicated computer and safe money ... thats all it is created for

in case you got enouf money to spend , then you can indeed go to a dedicated server
but you are in charge of problems , if it goes down it takes longer to get it rebooted , its fragile for maintenance and a lot more problems like a normal computer ( vps servers has them to but not that hard , instand reboots and reinstalls and stuff)

a vps is a solution if you want to go low budget and just want to spend the amount you need , just want to get what you need and know that it got his ups and downs (its shared)

good side is that the support and maints will be taken care of by the provider , not by yourself

to provide a example
take a look at those 2 pages for a price difference

(dedicated server prices , i use the I7 920 for my vps system)

(most clients use the basic vps and are doing fine)

it is hard to explain the difference betwean them , but you need to see a vps as a temporary solution, a dedicated is for the hard work and just need a lot more work to

for the traffic , who cares those days who share the traffic .. or are you 1 of those users who store there files on his own vps/dedicated and wondering why the speed suddenly went down ?

about the ram .. why you need 12GB ram to waste 8GB of ram ? or can your 32 bit program handle more then 4GB ram (or your mysql is fked up) ??

do you got that many visitors that your cpu is always 100% and that you need 4 cores to handle the cpu load ? , if so then i guess your windows is so hardly messed up and definaly need a virus scan to remove all those trojans that are in your files

to get back to the point
a dedicated is nice to have , gives you more power and freedom but it is not a needed thing , its nice to have if you can use it but it is expensive

so to say the difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by vps servers
  • vps is a part of a dedicated
  • vps shares everything betwean users
  • vps is a low budged solution
  • vps is optimized to handle more users at the same time
  • vps is not managed by you , host will solve most problems
  • a vps host will help you to solve most common problems
  • vps servers are mainly cheap , but quality depends on host
  • vps servers does not suffer that hard from abuse complains
  • vps servers mainly got a control panel ( free or paid )
  • vps servers can do the same as a dedicated server (as it runs from a dedicated server)
  • vps servers got mainly onyl 1 ip
  • vps providers does not provide more then 1 ip in msot cases
  • vps servers are harder to expand , but faster done if needed/possible to expand ( extra ram , cpu , hard disk )
  • fixing a broken vps can be easy done by recreating and just mounting your old hd so a downtime of about 1 hour is a lot
  • lag is harder to fix on a vps then on a dedicated server (because more users .. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedicated servers
  • dedicated is where you can run vps servers on
  • dedicated is fully controlled by you and only by you
  • dedicated problems need to be solved by you as long it is not network related ( backend .. nothing to do with dedicated)
  • dedicated got a average setup time of 3 days ( 72 hours)
  • in case of problems , it takes up to a few hours to get it solved
  • in case of abuse you lose your dedicated server easy (depends on datacenter)
  • dedicated servers are expensiver then vps servers
  • re installs of dedicated servers can take a long time ( specialy if you need kvm)
  • everything you like extra got a nice price tag added (as it is dedicated)
  • dedicated servers does not have a control panel ( it has kvm for a price of 25$ per month + 150$ setup cost ?? )
  • dedicated servers got mostly 5 ip's , depending on host ( 1 in my case)
  • dedicated servers got a option to extend almost everything ( ip / ram / cpu / hd .. )
  • expanding of a dedicated server will provide a average downtime of 2 hours (depends what need to be expanded)
  • fixing a dedicated server is not a easy solution (and no support , its server related that you let it crash .. not the datacenter/host )
  • if a dedicated server starts to lag you can easy fix it ( easyer to see where the lag is coming from )
hopely this shows the difference betwean both of them
this is just a short list of difference , and why this is not everyhting is because vps is still virtual and a dedicated is 100% hardware
so virtual problems vs hardware problems ... and you know what will be differend

in case of questions , feel free to let me know and i shal answer them
Greetings From PowerChaos
Thanks
7 Users
Old 09/20/2011, 00:57   #7

dehost is best in my opinion
Old 09/20/2011, 02:47   #8

use dehost. oh yea im back everyone... lol
Old 09/20/2011, 03:27   #9

Can someone please thank Powerchaos for that great explanation.
Old 09/20/2011, 14:08   #10

elite*gold: 540
dont bother with 1&1 they are unstable and have frequent issues..... dotblock is another one I would avoid unless you are good with linux because they have barely any windows experience