Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Other Online Games > Browsergames > DarkOrbit
You last visited: Today at 20:26

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Darkorbit private servers

Discussion on Darkorbit private servers within the DarkOrbit forum part of the Browsergames category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Darkorbit private servers

Hello,

Lately there are epvp'ers without any coding knowledge wanting to make a darkorbit private server.

Most of the private servers are bugged, or just an copy of another ( same design, same bugs etc )

My idea : To copy the files of and edit build on that.

while making video tutorials on how to edit stuff, add items, fix bugs or even add galaxy gates, quests, and even create custom events.

Let me know what you think about this.

(Main reason i wanna do this is to expand my coding experience)

I will also release a simple ElectronJS App with flash built in for creating an downloadable client. ( will make an video tutorial on this too to show how easy it actually is )
Thanks
3 Users
Old 05/14/2021, 18:04   #2

Here we go again
Old 05/14/2021, 18:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armandito13x View Post
Here we go again
with?
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/14/2021, 21:46   #4

elite*gold: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipseke View Post
Hello,

Lately there are epvp'ers without any coding knowledge wanting to make a darkorbit private server.

Most of the private servers are bugged, or just an copy of another ( same design, same bugs etc )

My idea : To copy the files of and edit build on that.

while making video tutorials on how to edit stuff, add items, fix bugs or even add galaxy gates, quests, and even create custom events.

Let me know what you think about this.

(Main reason i wanna do this is to expand my coding experience)

I will also release a simple ElectronJS App with flash built in for creating an downloadable client. ( will make an video tutorial on this too to show how easy it actually is )
if its worth for you.

your content will get stolen, copied and sold. without any credit.
tbh i would not do that. make a server for your own. (if you are able to do so. please dont be another guy asking for help. we wont help you!)
Old 05/14/2021, 22:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTX View Post
if its worth for you.

your content will get stolen, copied and sold. without any credit.
tbh i would not do that. make a server for your own. (if you are able to do so. please dont be another guy asking for help. we wont help you!)
I am able to do it ( and no i wont be a dumb motherf*cker who will make a thread on the simplest things )

Guess im gonna start my own server now
Thanks
2 Users
Old 05/14/2021, 23:50   #6

elite*gold: 41
Received Thanks: 1,234
Quote:
I am able to do it ( and no i wont be a dumb motherf*cker who will make a thread on the simplest things )

Guess im gonna start my own server now
please..PLEASE do...when you start from "nothing" you can have your visions your ideas or ANYTHING that would set it apart from legit every other server out there implemented. we need more original ideas..projects or whatever you want to call it... we have war universe, space age, DO remix, and we had attempt at real 3D darkorbit... these are cool and worth any time spending on... the rest ? well everyone has their own oppinion i guess but why play darkorbit over and over again with different names ?

so if you do start your own server... have ideas..be original.. dont just be "another" server..
Thanks
2 Users
Old 05/18/2021, 12:46   #7

Gonna be following this, very closely. I always kinda wanted to have a server running locally just for the hell of it
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/19/2021, 05:01   #8

elite*gold: 182
My advice for people creating private servers is to not base it on the work of anyone else, for a variety of reasons:

- You will actually learn how to create and maintain software.
- You will not have to suffer from the design mistakes of other people.
- You will have a more thorough understanding of your codebase and be able to manipulate it to implement new features much more easily than trying to tear apart someone else's work.

As tempting as it is to have the majority of the work done for you, it's not the right way and will often lead to more problems than it solves.

That said, creating a private server on your own, from scratch is no easy feat. Definitely something you have to weigh the pros and cons on.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 05/19/2021, 05:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualFate View Post
My advice for people creating private servers is to not base it on the work of anyone else, for a variety of reasons:

- You will have a more thorough understanding of your codebase and be able to manipulate it to implement new features much more easily than trying to tear apart someone else's work.

As tempting as it is to have the majority of the work done for you, it's not the right way and will often lead to more problems than it solves.

That said, creating a private server on your own, from scratch is no easy feat. Definitely something you have to weigh the pros and cons on.
Thank you for your input!

the reason that i'm not starting from scratch is because i'm not really good at coding the emulator myself, but consider this : i will use the already made stuff as a reference to see how its made etc, and eventually recoding it all with my own code
Old 05/19/2021, 07:31   #10

elite*gold: 182
Quote:
Thank you for your input!

the reason that i'm not starting from scratch is because i'm not really good at coding the emulator myself, but consider this : i will use the already made stuff as a reference to see how its made etc, and eventually recoding it all with my own code
That "eventually recoding it all with my own code" part will likely never happen. Every private server codebase I've seen has been brittle beyond belief. I don't mean to put anyone down, but almost all of the private servers out there have been developed by hobbyist level programmers trying to solve enterprise-level problems.

I'm working on my own server, have been for a little while now. I'd be willing to offer advice and answer questions on a one-to-one basis; just add me on Discord (Healianth#6033).
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/20/2021, 15:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualFate View Post

I have to both agree and disagree on this one.

To better specify, I agree only if you are making a server with determined features YOU want to do, AND you're quite an expert already.

Most people maybe just want to have a server to play with friends, so having something they can run locally is probably a blessing for them.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 05/20/2021, 19:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madatek View Post
I have to both agree and disagree on this one.

To better specify, I agree only if you are making a server with determined features YOU want to do, AND you're quite an expert already.

Most people maybe just want to have a server to play with friends, so having something they can run locally is probably a blessing for them.
I must agree completely, This was the idea I had when I started a project years ago, a server that you could easily start and that could emulate a game environment good enough to have fun, nothing capable of becoming a private server, but it could be played by anyone with an internet connection, but I ended up running out of time, in addition to not wanting to use the hard work of bigpoint designs in a project that was not theirs.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 05/21/2021, 00:47   #13

Look at this and not to bully anyone but i mean wtf

Old 05/21/2021, 02:30   #14

elite*gold: 43
Quote:
Look at this and not to bully anyone but i mean wtf

sounds like gyula359
Old 05/21/2021, 05:53   #15